cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replace ac in Roadtrek Van

Hikerfan
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 1995 Roadtrek D170 camper van (17' length). The original Fedders AC is a 7500 btu unit. I will be using a portable generator to run ac only when camped. I have a brand new 2200W generator.
My question is replacing the Fedders ac with a new ac unit that will fit into the built in space and since my van is so small inside; I was thinking of getting a 5000 btu unit.

What ac brands have you used, all ideas and recommendations will be much appreciated.

Thank you, Cindy
6 REPLIES 6

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
Not a Roadtrek doing my due diligence for my old Toyota I noticed a lot of dissatisfaction with 5k AC units so skipped those. I went with an 8k LG unit and find it is just right for hot humid FL. Just adequate during hot humid days parked in the sun and not too big that it does not keep humidity down at night. Also the Honda 2000 will run it under all conditions. I also added a hard start capacitor to the AC and the Honda runs the AC in ECO mode with no issues!

Things have changed a bit, if I was looking for an AC today I would be looking at the new inverter window units. Such as the Media. I am not recommending the Media using it as an example and there are several other brands.

My not so humble opinion and worth what you are paying for it.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Midea-8-000-BTU-U-Shaped-Inverter-Window-Air-Conditioner-WiFi-9X-Quieter...

My_Roadtrek
Explorer
Explorer
Hikerfan wrote:
I have a 1995 Roadtrek D170 camper van (17' length). The original Fedders AC is a 7500 btu unit. I will be using a portable generator to run ac only when camped. I have a brand new 2200W generator.
My question is replacing the Fedders ac with a new ac unit that will fit into the built in space and since my van is so small inside; I was thinking of getting a 5000 btu unit.

What ac brands have you used, all ideas and recommendations will be much appreciated.

Thank you, Cindy

If you search the archives there is lot of info there.

Try this you may find something here.
Fedders ac

From Home & Park Motorhomes ie Roadtrek
Air Conditioning
Section 4 Page 5
200 Popular Versatile Chevrolet
1. Turn main Breaker Off
2. Unplug Air Conditioner Unit
3. Remove Screw to release access panel
4, Remove screws on front of Air Conitioner
5. Open Cover
6. Remove wires and mark wires for reinstallation. Note: Disconnect poser from air conditioner unit but leave cord in van as installed
7. Cut silicon at base of air conditioner along entire front of unit
8 Go to the back of the vehicle and remove roof screws
9 Lift panel from vehicle and unplug the wiring harness from marker lights
10 remove baffles on either side of Air Conditioner unit
11. Cut silicone along the side of the air conditioner. Caution DO not cut too deep on back panel or you will damage the headliner
12Slide unit back towards the rear of the van
13. Wiht the assistance fo a helper, lift the unit from the van.
Note if the vehicle is equiped with a generator , the assist start capacitor must be transferred to the new air conditioning unit.

Installation:
1. Remove all remaining silicon
2. test unit to ensure proper working condition
3. inside the can, run a thick bead of dilicone across the bottom of airconditioer opening
4. with the assistance of helper, place nit back intohte van and slide into place
5. apply silicone to dies and top of air conditioner
6. install baffles and foam insutlation
7 install roof panel, plug wiring harness for marker lights in prior to roof panel installation
8 install roof panel screws
9 install power cord and wiring as per removal step 6
10 install panel cover
11install plastic grill
12 install lower panel
13 plug ac unit in
14 turn main breaker to "on" position.

ArtDecoMan
Explorer
Explorer
Hello I am new here. I rarely use my rooftop a/c in my Sprinter because of the noise. Is there a 12 volt alternative?

PSW
Explorer
Explorer
Cindy, make sure your generator has the capacity to run the AC unit you select. Sometimes, those power outputs can be a bit misleading. When an AC kicks on it uses surge power which is greater than the power it uses during normal operation. Otherwise, since I see that like me you live in a hot part of the country, the larger the unit the better.

Enjoy your Roadtrek 170. I almost bought one back in the nineties and still think they are really neat and practical. Roadtrek put a lot of thought into the 170 back then and there aren't too many Bs on the smaller chassis which is a market that has always appealed to me because how much easier it is to park, maneuver and drive.
PSW
2013 Phoenix Cruiser 2350
2014 Jeep Cherokee behind it
and a 2007 Roadtrek 210P for touring

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
When I replaced the 11k Dometic on my Class B, 1997 Xplorer 230XL, I went with Dometic's high efficiency 15k model and am able to run it with my Honda 2000. They no longer made the 11k unit then.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Always go bigger, not smaller. The price difference isn't worth it.