cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking at class c questions on maintenance

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, we currently have a fiver but lately have been looking at smaller class c around the 25ft length. My question is having to do with oil changes and was wondering - for example if it was a Ford powered rv do you take it to the ford dealer for oil changes?

Are they generally able to work on these types of vehicles without a problem?

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K
29 REPLIES 29

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
austinjenna wrote:
I know I can change it myself. I was actually wondering where people go when they are out on a trip and needed to have some service done, like an oil change for example. I know if something is rv related I would need to go to an rv shop

As far as RV shops, I am curious also where repairs could be available. One trip my front stabilizer mounting bolt snapped and the stabilizer was interfering with my steering. I had to jury rig to hold it up with a ratchet strap, drive 30 miles to Bishop to buy the right socket to get it off, laying in the parking lot of a shopping center. Next trip, Bishop also, the bracket holding the water tank broke and back to the auto parts store to buy C clamp to hold it up. Couldn't find anyone open on Sunday to weld it.

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
I know I can change it myself. I was actually wondering where people go when they are out on a trip and needed to have some service done, like an oil change for example. I know if something is rv related I would need to go to an rv shop

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

SJ-Chris
Explorer
Explorer
Oil change specifically is typically a SIMPLE job on Class C RVs. They are high enough off the ground that you can crawl under (or put your leveling blocks/etc underneath...of course be careful anytime you go under a vehicle!). On many Class C RVs, the oil filter is also underneath and simple to get to.

It will take you LESS time (and of course money) to change the oil yourself if you consider driving to the shop, waiting your turn (or dropping it off, getting a ride back and forth, etc), waiting for them to change the oil, and driving home.

For anything safety related, I want a certified RV shop or mechanic to perform the task (liability reasons).

Good luck!
Chris
San Jose, CA
Own two 2015 Thor Majestic 28a Class C RVs

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
enblethen wrote:
Dealers would be my last choice!
Oil change and lube joints and even Walmart would be better choices.

Now I do all my own work on personal vehicles anyway, and my mistrust of mechanics in general is strong, but why all the “no dealer for oil changes” stuff?
I get my company vehicles serviced by others and If one has the extra time to dink around making an appointment and a 10 min oil change taking a half hour, dealers are traditionally way cheaper than the Jippo Lube places, for oil changes. (Because they have 5 other things you “need “ done. (At inflated prices). )
Why not use the dealer cheap oil change lure to your advantage?

I generally use the Jippo lubes though because a dealer oil change seems to kill a good extra hour or more of my day and the savings is less than my hourly cost to the company.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

lhenry8113
Explorer
Explorer
We always take our Class C to our local MasterLube-for oil changes, lubes, etc. Their facility has a walk/work space underneath the vehicle. Our Class C is on a Chevy 4500 chassis with 6.0 gas engine-about 25 ft.
2017 Chev/CLass C Forest River Forester 2251 SLE

A Positive Attitude May Not Solve All Your Problems But It Will Annoy Enough People To Make It Worth The Effort.
H Albright

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
For something that can be done in your driveway I would not rule out a mobile mechanic. Look up RV mobile mechanics and check their

pricing. A dealer would be my last choice for anything. There is nothing special about these chassis, be it Ford GM or otherwise. Now a

MB chassis will cost more due to those two letters.

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
My Tiger Class C, 20 feet long, on a stock 2500 HD 4x4 chassis, goes to the Chevy dealer work truck department for all of its basic fluids, changes, belts, etc. This dealer has all the parts, offers a shuttle service, and has done a great job for the 16 years I've had this truck. The mechanics love it; they say they've never seen anything so cool on a Chevy chassis.
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Dealers would be my last choice!
Oil change and lube joints and even Walmart would be better choices.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
The Ford dealer near our lakeside cottage in upstate NY not only services RV's, they have a separate building specifically for RV service and body work. That said, we've found truck shops to be much better choices for our chassis work needs. I still do my own oil changes and chassis lube though.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Not an issue or concern. Same as changing the oil in any other gas motor. If one shop won't do it and you cant do it yourself, go to the next place.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Unless there is some sort of coupon, the last place I would consider is a dealer for an oil change.

If you have a good local shop you trust, that would be my preferred (and what we do when local for the truck).

Even most oil change shops are fine. They may need to do it in the lot if you don't fit in the bay but for an oil change, it's not rocket science and they don't need a lift.
- If you don't trust them, pay attention to what they are doing and check the plug, filter and oil level before pulling out...if those are all good it should be fine.

If it's major work, then you probably have to call around to see who can work on it.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ford or GM dealerships often do not work on trucks or rvs due to garage bay size limitations.
Any car service station , doesn't have to be a Ford or GM dealership, will be able to perform most services and repairs 'out of doors' if weather is permitting. If its a Ford or GM, its a just a van chassis which is high enough off the ground to crawl under for oil service.
You won't be paying a commercial truck shop labor rate either.
Some commercial shops now are in the $200/hr range and put rv recreational folks second on their 'priority list'. They take care of repeat service contract commercial accounts, where guys need trucks to earn a living before they take of rv people that use their rigs for playtime. That has been made clear to me more than once.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Call around to your chassis dealers of choice, and ask before you buy. When we had a Roadtrek in a Chevy Express van, the local GM dealer had no problem working on it. When we upsized to the Sunstar 26HE, we had to get the oil changed at a truck stop. Pricing was similar to the cost of a regular oil change, but they had a larger bay area to work on it. Our class C Navion on a Sprinter cab chassis gets it's maintenance work done at a nearby (120 miles round trip) MB dealer that sells Sprinter vans, and they have a hoist that can lift it.
Also, because they say they'll work on it now, doesn't mean that position can't change.
It's a problem for many motorhome owners these days.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

pushtoy_2
Explorer
Explorer
the dealer i go to will do some work on a C but not an A there lift can only hold 15k lbs. so they wont krall under under it
DREAMER FMCA200924
GS Life member

tobydad
Explorer
Explorer
Depends on the dealer. The ford dealer in my town will not do any kind of work on RV's including tires. Check with your local dealer.