cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Ford Chassis

hpdrver
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone know when Ford will start shipping the new class C Chassis with the V-8 engine to RV manufacturers. Thanks
Texas Two Step
2021 Coach House 272XLFR
2020 JL Jeep Wrangler
14 REPLIES 14

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
All of which adds to the end price, all for things many of us don't need or want. ๐Ÿ˜ž
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
IAMICHABOD wrote:
pnichols wrote:
Or .... Mercedes beefing up their Sprinter to "replace" the E450's ruggedness and ultra-reliability ... since so many Class C manufacturers seem so bent on using that MB chassis.

IMHO the U.S. Class C market needs a good 4XXX series chassis to always be available, and it's OK w/me if Ford keeps the E450 around for this - whether it's engine be V10, V8, or an electric motor.

That U.S. Class C market already has a very good reliable Chassis that is getting more and more available in the market,that is the Chevy Chassis

It seems that it is not going away anytime soon.

Right you are regarding the Chevy 4500 cutaway van chassis being a good old American-iron direct competitor to the Ford E450 cutaway van chassis for Class C use. But alas, I'm concerned with how much longer the 4500 chassis going to be around ... the same concern as with with the E450 chassis. :h

Sprinter has become the preferred chassis to a surprising extent by NA manufacturers of class C's. It already dominates the Class B section

Powertour
Explorer II
Explorer II
This!:

carringb wrote:
I'm pretty sure the Chevy 4500 is already dead, or at least on hiatus. They announced last spring they were allocating more production to the Colorado (which is made on the same line). Navistar was supposed to take over the Express cutaway in 2018, but got caught up in the Silverado MDT production. All of the large RV makers have removed the Express 4500 from their new floorplans, and I'm not seeing any new bare chassis for sale, only built-out cube trucks.

The new E-series has many upgrades (a few examples: lane keep assist, automatic emergency braking, active cruise control, new instrument panel architecture) that indicate they indent to keep it around a while.

The Sprinter being put into heavier service IMO is a non-starter, at least until they come out with a more powerful powertrain.
2015 Itasca 25b Ford E350 V10

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
carringb wrote:
The new E-series has many upgrades (a few examples: lane keep assist, automatic emergency braking, active cruise control, new instrument panel architecture) that indicate they indent to keep it around a while.

That's great news!

The Ford E-sereis fits right into the Class C starting point sweetspot that is missed by so many other U.S. delivery-van-type chassis.

(I hope that means I can continue to easily get parts and service on our 2005 E450 Class C chassis ... as a side benefit!)

Whatever happened to the E550 market anyway ... that lasted a couple of years back in the early 2000s?
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

RedRollingRoadb
Explorer
Explorer
Dakzuki wrote:
garyemunson wrote:
That should mean we'll see them on the 2021 RVs. The chassis are always the previous year from the coach. Always the possibility that Ford built up the V10 inventory to carry them through the retooling so maybe it will be a mid-year 2021 change. What I wonder is how long Ford will keep producing the old E-450 chassis before beefing up the new van system to replace it.

Not always. I have a 2011 on a 2011. I know of some on a two year old chassis too.

2016 0n a 2016 F53

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
I'm pretty sure the Chevy 4500 is already dead, or at least on hiatus. They announced last spring they were allocating more production to the Colorado (which is made on the same line). Navistar was supposed to take over the Express cutaway in 2018, but got caught up in the Silverado MDT production. All of the large RV makers have removed the Express 4500 from their new floorplans, and I'm not seeing any new bare chassis for sale, only built-out cube trucks.

The Sprinter being put into heavier service IMO is a non-starter, at least until they come out with a more powerful powertrain.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
pnichols wrote:
IAMICHABOD wrote:
pnichols wrote:
Or .... Mercedes beefing up their Sprinter to "replace" the E450's ruggedness and ultra-reliability ... since so many Class C manufacturers seem so bent on using that MB chassis.

IMHO the U.S. Class C market needs a good 4XXX series chassis to always be available, and it's OK w/me if Ford keeps the E450 around for this - whether it's engine be V10, V8, or an electric motor.

That U.S. Class C market already has a very good reliable Chassis that is getting more and more available in the market,that is the Chevy Chassis

Right you are regarding the Chevy 4500 cutaway van chassis being a good old Amierican-iron direct competitor to the Ford E450 cutaway van chassis for Class C use. But alas, I'm concerned with how much longer the 4500 chassis going to be around ... the same concern as with with the E450 chassis. :h

Hopefully quite a while,they signed a multi year deal with Navistar to build their Cutaway in their Springfield Plant.

"Under the agreement, GM will build the van cab in Wentzville and send it to Navistar's Springfield plant. Navistar will send the cab through its paint shop and outfit it with the instrument panel, seats, and other trim. Navistar will add the chassis, including engine, drivetrain, and wheels. The finished cutaway will then be shipped to third-party upfitters or the commercial fleets that ordered it using GM's ship-thru network, according to Robert Wheeler, GM's fleet spokesman"

I believe that is why you are seeing more of them from the major RV MFGs.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dakzuki wrote:
garyemunson wrote:
That should mean we'll see them on the 2021 RVs. The chassis are always the previous year from the coach. Always the possibility that Ford built up the V10 inventory to carry them through the retooling so maybe it will be a mid-year 2021 change. What I wonder is how long Ford will keep producing the old E-450 chassis before beefing up the new van system to replace it.

Not always. I have a 2011 on a 2011. I know of some on a two year old chassis too.

Not always here too ... we also have a 2005 Itasca Class C on a 2005 E450 chassis.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
IAMICHABOD wrote:
pnichols wrote:

Right you are regarding the Chevy 4500 cutaway van chassis being a good old American-iron direct competitor to the Ford E450 cutaway van chassis for Class C use. But alas, I'm concerned with how much longer the 4500 chassis going to be around ... the same concern as with with the E450 chassis. :h

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
garyemunson wrote:

2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
pnichols wrote:

2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
garyemunson wrote:

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Production starts Jan 2nd.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST