cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Onan 2600 generator

larrylwill
Explorer
Explorer
My 08 Roadtrek has a Gen with 71 hours on it. In Dec we ran it for about 4-5 hours to keep warm coming back from Fla. Since then I have run it every month for an hour or so. Today I started it and turned on the AC and it ran about 10 minuets normally then started to surge then shut off. I found it was low on oil. So I filled it up and it again ran for about 10 minuets then surged a few times then stopped.
It will start ok but only run about 10 minuets then stop, it doesn't surge so much anymore it just stops. I tried loosing the gas cap, didn't help. I will replace the fuel filter in a day or 2 and try running some seafoam through it. Any other Ideas?
22 REPLIES 22

My_Roadtrek
Explorer
Explorer
With only 71 hrs I doubt the spark arrester is clogged.

Handbasket
Explorer
Explorer
Start by suspecting the fuel filter, since it's cheap & easy, and fits the symptoms well. If it's running good while it runs, it's probably not a gummed up carb, but Seafoam or Techron won't hurt.

That leads to three other possibilities: clogged spark arrestor screen in the exhaust (doesn't quite fit symptoms, but can be DIY'd), failing fuel pump (fits symptoms, $$, and generator has to come out), or voltage regulator (somewhat fits symptoms, $$, can be DIY'd, troubleshooting chart in Onan manual & on Flight Systems website).

Jim
'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

My_Roadtrek
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe the high speed jet is clogged. Try and get the Seafoam, or other carb cleaner, directly into the carb.

larrylwill
Explorer
Explorer
Its 3//4 full and level.

overbrook
Explorer III
Explorer III
larrylwill wrote:
Any other Ideas?

If your coach gas tank is 1/4 or lower, the generator will either not start or start and run for a few minutes and then sound as if it is running out of gas before it stops.

So make sure you have at least a 1/4 tank as shown on your dash fuel gauge.

Bill
Coachhouse Platinum 232 XL

larrylwill
Explorer
Explorer
Its not running too slow, and the Voltage and freq is right on, It runs just fine until it just stops. Like it runs out of gas.No sputtering, no backfiring it sounds completely normal then it sometimes starts to surge 1 or 2 times then stops. I have started it and loaded it about 6 times and its always the same.

AsheGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Wrong thread.
David & Margaret - 2005 LTV 210B 3S
- Our Blog -

My_Roadtrek
Explorer
Explorer
You should run it at least 2 hrs a month (continuously) at 1/2 to full load. Best guess is the carb is gummed up. The Seafoam may fix it. The carbs can't be rebuilt, and you will have to pull the gen-set to replace it.
Also, use a Kill-a-watt meter to check volts, and make sure the frequency is at 60Hz.
It may just be running too slow, so is stalling when it gets a little load. There is a screw adjustment on the carb linkage to speed up, or slow down the gen-set.
Make sure the altitude adjuster is set correctly.