cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Propane tank recertification experience

dks
Explorer
Explorer
Had my 2003 Roadtrek propane leak tested the other day and it passed. I went to fill up the propane and the attendant looked at the sticker on the windshield and said he couldn't fill the tank since it expired in 2011. I had never had anyone check that before, but, the owner did fill the tank after he found out that the propane was used for RV appliances and not used to fuel the vehicle.

So I called the RV facility where I had the leak test done and asked if they issue the sticker for tank recertification. They didn't but, referred me to a propane facility that did. Long story short, it appears that there is a recertification required and that an auto stop valve will need to he installed if you don't have one.

So if you have an older Roadtrek be aware that you may have future expenses in installation/recertification of your propane tanks. This will vary depending where you live. My experience is in Ontario.
14 REPLIES 14

Admin
This one is getting too far off topic
Sorry folks

Admin
Admin
RV.net

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
VE3ESN wrote:

Ontario's regulations may be stricter than some other jurisdictions because of the Toronto Propane Explosion .

Toronto lost one off duty firefighter to a heart attack. Other jurisdictions also have had deadly propane explosions too. Buffalo, NY had a propane explosion in 1983. Five firefighters and two civilians were killed in the blast, and it left many dozens more injured.
“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Good thing the USA doesn't base required propane tank inspections on how many propane bottle company's explode!

Florida explosion of 53,000 20-pound cylinders of propane at the facility -- more than a million pounds in all at a Blue Rhino facility.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

VE3ESN
Explorer
Explorer
In Ontario, we've had the experience where one facility told us they couldn't fill our Roadtrek tank (but of course could certify it at considerable cost). Another place that caters to taxis and other commercial vehicles filled the tank with no problem after determining that the vehicle didn't run on propane.

Ontario's regulations may be stricter than some other jurisdictions because of the Toronto Propane Explosion .
Jerry & Susie
1996 Roadtrek 190 Versatile (Dodge 5.2 L)

path1
Explorer
Explorer
If it looks bad on class A,B, C sand and paint to look good.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

ol__grouch
Explorer
Explorer
I was trying to find a new sending unit for my chassis propane tank for the furnace and stove in my '89. I asked about the certification and the parts guy said it's different than a portable tank. I asked because my tank is so old, we can't find a new sending unit and I may have to get a new gauge. When I said it was 25 years old, he said it didn't matter. As long as it isn't rusted or dented, no problems.
Honk if you love Jesus.
Text if you want to meet him.

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
Your propane supplier employee needs to read the regs again.
Ontario propane cylinder/tank recertificatio, scroll down to the paragraph above 'Propane Cylinder Markings' "Propane tanks that are permanently mounted to structures or vehicles do not have to be recertified, but they must be visually inspected every time they are filled to ensure that they are acceptable for use. Automotive tanks used for motor fuel must be inspected and recertified every 5 years at a government approved facility"
This is for Ontario.

Beverley and Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Here we go again......

Propane cylinders have a re-certification/re-qualifying requirement. 12 yrs from date of mfg. stamped on collar.

Propane

tanks

.......NO!

And if a propane vendor doesn't know the difference then they are NOT qualified to fill a coke bottle let alone a pressurized vessel

I've NEVER had my propane TANK on my MH certified and have no problem getting it filled.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here we go again......

Propane cylinders have a re-certification/re-qualifying requirement. 12 yrs from date of mfg. stamped on collar.

Propane tanks.......NO!

And if a propane vendor doesn't know the difference then they are NOT qualified to fill a coke bottle let alone a pressurized vessel
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
I once got burned by doing a propane tank exchange. I got an expired tank in exchange for a newer one. So I did one more exchange and never went back.
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

eubank
Explorer
Explorer
This may be the key: Rules for Canada are not the same as the rules in the US.

dks wrote:
... My experience is in Ontario.

More generally, the rules in the US are hardly uniform. There are 50 different sets of rules. Many simply default to the recommendations by the National Fire Protection Assn, Pub 58, but not all do.

Lynn

GaryKH
Explorer
Explorer
Islandman wrote:
I'm not aware of any certification required for the permanently mounted tanks on a motorhome, only for portable removable tanks such as those on a tent trailer, etc. However a person should do whatever necessary to keep their permanent tank free from surface rust and make sure the valve is in good shape, if in doubt get it checked at a bulk propane supplier facility.

This is my understanding also. The 10 year bit only refers to the portable tanks. Having said that, last week when i went to turn the propane on (my big permanent tank), it leaked gas initially via the valve. I phoned the place that rebuilds tanks & the fellow told me that there is packing in the valves & that it needs to be opened & closed frequently in order to keep the packing in good condition. This means over the winter. I've never had this happen before. I opened & closed the valve a few times & it's ok now.

Islandman
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not aware of any certification required for the permanently mounted tanks on a motorhome, only for portable removable tanks such as those on a tent trailer, etc. However a person should do whatever necessary to keep their permanent tank free from surface rust and make sure the valve is in good shape, if in doubt get it checked at a bulk propane supplier facility.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
This is not only the situation with Roadtrek. I recently had the same experience where a supplier said it was the last time he could fill the tank since it was 10 years old. Later in the year I took the tanks to an LPG supplier who recertified them by stamping the carrying handle and filled the tanks. No charge for the recert.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)