cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Recommendations for National Parks in Utah

viajante
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning a trip to Utah and would like to see the five National Parks there (Bryce Canyon, Arches, Canyonlands, Zion and Capitol Reef).

Is there a way to stay in one location and have relatively easy access to all of the parks ?

Any recommendations on RV parks/resorts ?
17 REPLIES 17

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
don't know if it has been mentioned yet, but the arch that impressed me the most was Mesa Arch in the Canyonlands.
bumpy

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
J-Rooster wrote:
Moab! We stayed at the Moab Rim Campark 1900 South Hwy. 191 Phone 435-259-5002 very nice park and it don't cost you a lot! Eat at the Brewery in town very good food! We stayed a week and from Moab we visited we visited Arches, Canyonland, went into Colorado and visited National Monument, then back into Utah and we visited Valley of the Gods and Navajo Twin Rocks and Mexican Hat and Monument Valley.

For Valley of the Gods, Navajo Twin Rocks, Mexican Hat and Monument Valley spend a few days in Bluff. The restaurant in town is very good, nice Craft Beer (Yes, in Utah!) and located right below the Twin Rocks. The Trading Post next door has some very nice stuff too. There is also reconstructed Bluff Fort. for the history buffs.

We have stayed at the Cadillac Ranch RV Park several times and quite enjoyed it.

The Hovenweep ruins are also doable from here.

We love this part of Utah. Probably our overall favourite part of the USA.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Freebird1958 wrote:
Is there a map or website that would show, what everyone is talking about like roadway parks or even park to stay overnight?

Well, you could go to WalMart and by the front registers would be a road atlas to purchase. The go to RV Park Reviews site and plug in a small town near the park you want to visit for a list of RV parks/campgrounds in that area.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

RodLyle
Explorer
Explorer
Went to Bryce,Zion and Arches stayed at three different places had a great time.

Freebird1958
Explorer
Explorer
Is there a map or website that would show, what everyone is talking about like roadway parks or even park to stay overnight?

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
J-Rooster wrote:
Moab! We stayed at the Moab Rim Campark 1900 South Hwy. 191 Phone 435-259-5002 very nice park and it don't cost you a lot! Eat at the Brewery in town very good food! We stayed a week and from Moab we visited we visited Arches, Canyonland, went into Colorado and visited National Monument, then back into Utah and we visited Valley of the Gods and Navajo Twin Rocks and Mexican Hat and Monument Valley.
I left out we also traveled West up this dead end road on the Colorado River, just out of Moab and there's paintings on the canyon walls from Indians thousands of years ago, and we also went to 4 Corners from Moab (where all 4 States come together) everything we did was in out toad!

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Having been to those parks many times, we would highly recommend you stay near each one for the best experience. However, Arches and Canyonlands can be done from one location. Stay at Ruby's for Bryce, in Torrey for Capitol Reef and in Springdale for Zion. If you condider Mt. Carmel for Zion you will have to contend with a lot of slow traffic daily into Zion. I think you would be exhausted if you're doing day trips from one stop.

From Moab (Arches/Canyonlands), take I-70 west to 24 to Torrey.
From Capitol Reef, take Hwy 12 to Bryce and Ruby's

From Bryce to Zion there are options since you have a MH.
1) Take 89 south to Hwy 9 at Mt. Carmel and disconnect the car for your drive through the tunnels and into Zion.
2) Take 89 north to Hwy 20 to I-15 south to Hwy 9 east to Zion
3) Take 89 south to Kanab and into Fredonia, AZ. Then take 389 east to Colorado City which becomes UT59 and on to Hwy 9
It's recommended that you not take Hwy 14 from 89 into Cedar City. It's very steep and winding.

Of course, all of this can be reversed depending on where you're starting.

Have a good trip!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
There is a really good RV park in Hurricane, Utah about 25 miles west of Zion. It is called WillowWind. We stayed there for a few months this year while we were waiting for our house to be built. The other good part is the area around Hurricane is beautiful in itself with lots of great state parks. There are two large reservoirs, Snow Canyon State Park and lots of places to hike and bike.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

jtfcons
Explorer
Explorer
We've stayed at Moab for access to CanyonLands and Arches. Stayed at Cedar City for easy day trips to Bryce and Zion. Not been to Capitol reef.
John & Sharon, 2 Daughters, 2 Sons-in-law, 5 GK, 1GGK
Rat Terriers (Twiggy, Annie)
1997 HR Imp., 38CDS, 1 Slide
325 Cummins C8.3Mech., MD3060, EBw/Coast.Sw.,
Toad-2003 GMC Envoy 4X4, Excallibar TB, Pressure Pro TPMS, Henderson Mot. Ctrl. Units

Donna_and_Rob
Explorer
Explorer
We were in Moab last year about this time, very nice.
I never knew that Utah was on Mars. Cool rock formations. Don't forget the devils playground.:E:B
2003 38ft Travel Supreme
350hp Cummins

viajante
Explorer
Explorer
vtwindwalker wrote:
Are you driving a Class A. There are many roads that are off the beaten path that will show you amazing sites that you might want to think about. Are you hiking or driving to see the sights? Moab is great and I can give you some suggestions for some hiking.

Yes, we are in a Class A, but will be using the TOAD to get around.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I stayed at one KOA mid ways between Bryce and zion when I was there.
bumpy

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Don't forget Dead Horse Point State Park, which you pass on the way to CanyonLands. Dead Horse Point also has a campground that is a great place to stay and right in the middle of everything.
There are also plenty of places to just pull off and park your RV and stay right next to the Colorado River in North Moab.
We have been back to the area several times and each time we see different and spectacular sights. If you have a toad, you will want to take the 30+ mile loop drive around Moab. The road winds up through the mountains and valleys and some great locations to see wildlife.
You will find out that no matter how long you stay, you will want to go back to see more.
Down by Mexican Hat, UT, you will want to take your toad through The Valley of the Gods and drive the Moki Dugway. You can also get a great steak dinner at the Swinging Steak restaurant in Mexican Hat. Right next door to the restaurant is a basic RV park. Nothing fancy but fine for a day or two to explore the area.

vtwindwalker
Explorer
Explorer
Are you driving a Class A. There are many roads that are off the beaten path that will show you amazing sites that you might want to think about. Are you hiking or driving to see the sights? Moab is great and I can give you some suggestions for some hiking.