cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rookie Looking For Advice on Creating Travel Plans

spalmisano
Explorer
Explorer
I recently purchased a 2014 Entegra Anthem (my first RV) and have been using the RV around my hometown for the past month or so to get the hang of it. My wife and I would like to travel West of Mississippi beginning in March.

My plan is to use the RV for getting to a fully equipped campground, then my truck (which I will be pulling) for transportation to sites we wish to see.

I have been unable to find a site or tool that would allow me to plan my trip (e.g.. Southern Rim, Grand Canyon) and take into account Full Service Campgrounds that allow 43ft RV. It seems I am spending quite a bit of time researching each campground. Is there a simple tool, site or tip to planning a trip whereby all CLASS A RV Parks with Full Hookups is easily displayed?

Thanks in advance for your help in planning my Rookie Trips.
29 REPLIES 29

jwoodie
Explorer
Explorer
I like to have reservations for Friday and Saturday nights, but wing it the rest of the week.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
We usually stop before late afternoon and have a plan B just in case. No real issues with the size at commercial CGs and often many others. But some state and federal CGs cannot take our 42'. Sometimes asking about our 10' rear overhang will bring a more favorable result.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
When we first started full timing, we set someplace we wanted to see and headed for that spot...i.e. Grand Canyon. What we soon discovered is that by doing so, we were traveling as though we were simply on vacation and that was our destination. Doing so, we missed a bunch of fun stuff to see and do along the way.

Now we look at a map or the internet, and find a location about 3 hours away from where we are. We use an app, RV Parky, that locates all the campgrounds in the area. From there we can use our toad to explore. We stay off the interstates and visit many of the small towns scattered across the U.S.

Rarely have we had a problem with the size of our rig..I think you'll find the same as you travel. Don't let the naysayers tell you your rig is too big...call ahead if there's a question in your mind......take your time and enjoy the journey.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Alan_Hepburn
Explorer
Explorer
I'm another one who uses Microsoft Streets&Trips for planning. I set it to start driving at 9am and finish at 3pm each day. Then I set my home as the start and end point, and the destination as a stop. It will then calculate a route based on my preferences and show any overnight stops along the way. I then start at the first overnight stop and look for campgrounds nearby - after selecting a possible campground I go to the Good Sam website, rvparkreviews.com, and tripadvisor.com to read reviews for that park, along with the park's website, if available.

If I can't find an acceptable stop at that overnight place then I look backwards along the proposed route until I find something acceptable. I prefer to be off the road by 3pm so we've got time to relax each day so I only stretch the days out if absolutely necessary.

As I identify and enter each night's stop on the S&T map I rerun the trip planner to identify the start for the next night's stop. It's an iterative process but that's part of the fun of planning a trip!

I also set our home as both the start AND end of the trip so that I get a complete budget for the trip - S&T provides total mileage and time, and calculates a fuel budget based on your inputs - I use 7 mpg and $5 per gallon to get a rough idea of the fuel budget. You can also have it display fuel stops if you want.

Microsoft has announced that they will no longer be offering support for S&T so the 2013 version is the last we'll see. But it will still work - I used the 2006 version until I upgraded to the 2013 version 2 years ago and the maps haven't changed that much in the intervening years, so I figure the 2013 version will work for me for at least the next 5 years or so.

I prefer to use an off-line planner because our internet connection is through a Verizon Mifi and I'd rather keep my data available to see pictures of our grandkids!
----------------------------------------------
Alan & Sandy Hepburn driving a 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E on a Workhorse chassis - Proud to be a Blue Star Family!
Good Sam Member #566004

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
S&T 2013 is the last version and I doubt there will be any updates to 2013.

Bob

JFC
Explorer
Explorer
Checking on the all the good tips for travel plans I see that Microsoft discontinued Streets and Trips in July 2014 and will stop on line support in July 2015, so I assume no map updates after that.

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
What I did is : I only want to drive 400 miles per day max. so we look ahead to the net to find a 5 star RV Park around the area of 400 miles. Works for me!

sowego
Explorer
Explorer
As others have mentioned campground directories are a good start as are road trip planning computer programs and online sites. I do like the hear of someone's opinion on a particular RV park.

But there are a few things to consider and tips...for your 1st long trip out plan ahead to select the types of roads you wish to drive on & research the 1st couple of days campgrounds along that route. After that...try "winging" it day by day.

However we found it has always been difficult to guarantee we will make those certain stops on time. We found it's more "fun" to stop more often and on a moment's notice to see something between stops...that throws RV park reservations "under the bus"!

Online Campground directories and printed books are good but both may be out of date. Always call ahead. I found another way to "have a look"...using Google Earth look up the campground and really "look" around, especially helpful to see how easy it is to find the park. However,images may be at least 1 year old.

Call ahead, at certain times of year some areas are booked, in winter they may be shut down, etc.

Always arrive during daylight hours no matter how well you have researched the site. We've had issues that caused damage because of the dark.

Happy Trails...
2002 Tiffin Phaeton
2005 Malibu Maxx toad

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
The Allstays Camp and RV app has a filter for Accepts Big Rigs and several hundred other filters. You can try it online but the phone app is much better in my opinion.

Bob

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have been in state parks, corp of engineer parks, county parks, city parks, private owned parks and forest service parks that you would fit into with no problem. Some of those even had pull thru sites. There is no one source that I know of that will give you that info. If it's a park with online reservation systems, the size of the site is usually listed and some also have photos.

WILDEBILL308
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hear is an app that I found useful.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.visitortips.visitortips&hl=en
Remember the big racks of brochures you see in all the visitor centers Well this app has them on line. You can find things to see and do where ever you are.
Bill
2008 Newmar Mountain Aire
450 HP CUMMINS ISM
ALLISON 4000 MH TRANSMISSION
TOWING 2014 HONDA CRV With Blue Ox tow bar
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain

Jim1eddoc
Explorer
Explorer
Don't forget the old try-and-true method of actual maps from AAA for the states you will be going through. The maps, cell phone for advance reservations (especially over holidays) and the big book by Woodall's and or others will be all you need.
We loaded up with AAA maps and tour/camping books for specific states we would go through and traveled from So CA to the East coast and back again, traveling 200-300 miles per day and loving it.
Don't worry, have fun. That's the joy of a motorhome.

Jagtech
Explorer
Explorer
There's several good reasons to get a membership with a roadside assistance provider. One reason that I like is the "Trip Planning" provided by Coach-Net. They provide maps, route information, accomodation info, and whatever else you request, all at no charge.
1998 Triple E F53
1995 Jeep Wrangler toad

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
We've got you into how to create travel plans, now something about how to use them.

I would work for weeks to plan a 3-5 week trip in great detail, including times and places for all the rest stops, meals, fueling stops, touring stops and overnights. Once started on the trip, we would see more places along the way that we wanted to stop and see, and would improvise the rest of that day. By the third or fourth day, we could be a whole day off schedule.

It could get even worse: three days to get from Wichita Falls to San Antonio, a six hour drive on US-281, should have made it in one day. But we started out by going through Archer City to see Larry McMurty's used book emporium and spent the whole first day there. Should have gotten to San Antonio the next day, but stopped to visit LBJ's boyhood home. That's the way it goes. Another trip, three days to get from Oklahoma City to Clovis, New Mexico, and doing that we still skipped Palo Duro Canyon.

There is so much to see, you can't put it all into a plan, or at least I can't, because then the plan starts looking like 50-100 miles a day, and my mind rebels about the pace. So I have a general plan, these are the major places I want to see, and I'll adjust it as the places I find slow me down.

Tools for that? The improvising part, we visited public information centers, welcome centers (almost every city over 15,000 in the west has one) and talked to the volunteers, who know what is interesting in their area. Talking to them, they help figure out what interests you.

Where to stay each day? Sometime early in the afternoon we would pull out our hard-copy directory (had Trailer Life and Woodall's alternate years, liked Trailer Life better) to find out what was on the road ahead in the time window for stopping for the day. We always did this where we had cell phone coverage, to call ahead and find out who expected to have space.

Then each evening I would get out the laptop, fire up Streets and Trips, and reschedule the rest of the trip, adjusting destinations to make sure we would be where we needed to be when my wife said we needed to be there. What I liked about S&T was not needing an Internet connection to do the basic route, time and distance planning.

I think you will find clearances and weight limits a non-issue if you plan to travel on highways designated for over-the-road commercial traffic, and follow the truck routes when you get into towns. These roads are marked on the Motor Carrier's Road Atlas, which also maintains lists of sub-standard clearances. There are a lot fewer clearance problems on rural highways in The West, trucks were running the roads before the current highways were built, most clearance issues are for things that are greatly oversize like wind generator parts, oilfield equipment, farm equipment, refinery and chemical plant parts, and manufactured housing. You will have fewer problems with clearances than you will with having to dodge the really big stuff not permitted on the Interstates, or getting stuck behind it. FWIW, the oil field service guys like to move the portable drilling rigs on weekends when they'll interfere less with commercial truck traffic; or maybe that's the only time they can get a permit to move it.

Going into the Northeast, going into towns and cities, that's another story. To get where you want to go you will find yourself going where trucks are not supposed to go, and sometimes that's about clearance rather than weight limits.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B