cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slide outs not working , intermitently...

draboo
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2002 Holiday Rambler Neptune 34PDQ with electric dual slide outs.

I attempted to extend the bedroom. It would not even click when extending, but would click when I tried to retract.

The living room was just the opposite.It did extend but then would not retract. It would click when trying to extend (while it was extended) but no click when attempting to retract.

So the bottom line is: the bedroom would retract when it was retracted, but would not extend.(no click)

And the living room would extend when extended but would not retract.(no click)

A few hours later, they both started working and are still working.

I have called HR parts line and they gave me a part # for a controller/control board.

The problem I'm having is this: I cannot find this controller. I've looked pretty much every where.

Is it possible that it does not have a controller? Perhaps it has some sort of solenoid for each room?

I replaced the bedroom slide switch last summer.

I ve tried to find a schematic of the slide out system to no avail.

I am stumped. If any one has any suggestions I would really appreciate it.
8 REPLIES 8

draboo
Explorer
Explorer
I found the control board. It is in the battery compartment. There are 4 relays on the board. I'm assuming two for each slide, one for extend and one for retract. New relays are $8 each. I will replace all of them and see what happens.

The batteries are all up to the proper voltage, 12.6-12.8.

If new relays do not take care of the problem, I will order a whole new board. They are about $100.00 including the relays.

Thanks for all your input.

Brad

Mont_G_J
Explorer
Explorer
The one thing common to both slides are the batteries.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
On my Monaco, if the batteries were not up to full charge, the slides would not work. Sometimes I would get a click, other times nothing. Run your engine to charge the batteries and as soon as you shut it down, try the slides. On mine, the slides would not operate with the engine running.

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hi,

It's possible you have one slideout controller module for both slides. That's the way our Georgie Boy is wired.

The click you hear, is that a light, faint click? If so, that could be a relay in the control board energizing. Use that to help track down the location of the controller. Have someone press the button while the person with the best hearing tracks down the location of the click.

Once you find the controller, make sure all of the wire connections to it, especially ground, are clean and tight. Ours left the factory with a loose ground wire that didn't really manifest itself until about the third year. By the time it started preventing the slides from operating properly, that wire had charred up the wire about 6 inches up from it's connection point. The loose connection causes heat build up.

If you can start your rig and operate the slides, see if that helps. The extra voltage on the battery can make a big difference. Our slides will not extend if the engine is running, but they will retract with the engine running.

But there are numerous variations on this theme.

Good Luck,

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

Twomed
Explorer
Explorer
If you have the paddle type switches try jumping them...if that's the problem use Carling switches instead of the cheap paddle critters.
Happy Trails 🙂
06 Monaco Dynasty
07 Hummer H3
FMCA 279843

MrWizard
To me it sounds like low batteries
You put out the lr slide first ?
Then there was not enough power to extend the bedroom !
Then you tried to retract the lr,? And not enough Power to do so
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a dead spot in the motor. That would be my first place to look.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
1. I doubt 2 controllers would fail at the same time with identical type failure.
2. Finding controllers can be a pain on some model RV's. I had a Monaco wardrobe slide that failed and the controller was mounted BEHIND the Washer on the floor and the washer had leaked over the years and corroded the controller. BUT, FINDING that controller took hours. Because who would suspect they would mount it behind a Washer?
3. If working now, I would suspect the Ignition interconnect control solenoid system. On your year, does the Ignition have to be OFF or ON for the slides to function?
4. Doublecheck the 2 wires going to the motors and make sure they are secure and tight.
5. It is possible they do not have a controller, but that would be rare. If they gave you the P/N, do they not have the parts in stock?
6. It is also possible you have bad motors, but I go back to they both fail with similar failures at the same time and then start working? Doug