cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Smoke odod in the coach

gearhead143
Explorer
Explorer
Went camping at Devils Lake at Lincoln City Oregon. I was taking the grand kids fishing and told everyone to keep the door closed on the MH so the smoke from the camp fire doesn't get in. When I got back the door was open and the MH wreaked of camp fire, and was full of smoke. The smoke alarm had been disabled, and was laying on the table. I was not a happy camper at this point!

I have had all the vents, and widows open, and a fan running in it since I got home, but the the camp fire odor is still terrible after three days. Does anyone have a idea on how to get the smell out of my MH?
2004 Winnebago Minnie Winnie 27P
1973 StarCraft 18ft Holiday
2013 Toyota Highlander
1997 Dakota 4X4 392 cid SC Small block
18 REPLIES 18

gearhead143
Explorer
Explorer
dave17352 wrote:
gearhead143 wrote:
Well tried to rent a ozone generator today and only found one place in Salem that carries them,Sunbelt rentals and they wanted $100.00 per 24 hours an that was for a small one. From what I have read 48 hours is what is needed to do a complete job, at the rate I can buy one. So tonight I search for the purchase, anyone have any thoughts on a good one to buy? and where to buy one?

Did you check on my clicky about 5 posts up from yours. Amazon has several with reviews on each and every one.

Sorry Dave I missed the link, but I am looking at them right now. Thanks
2013 Toyota Highlander

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
gearhead143 wrote:
Well tried to rent a ozone generator today and only found one place in Salem that carries them,Sunbelt rentals and they wanted $100.00 per 24 hours an that was for a small one. From what I have read 48 hours is what is needed to do a complete job, at the rate I can buy one. So tonight I search for the purchase, anyone have any thoughts on a good one to buy? and where to buy one?

Did you check on my clicky about 5 posts up from yours. Amazon has several with reviews on each and every one.
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

gearhead143
Explorer
Explorer
2013 Toyota Highlander

gearhead143
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the reply's to my problem. I didn't have access to the internet today. I just got home,and caught up on all the rely's,and I just walked by the open window of the RV and the smell is still rolling out of it. I did do some research on ozone generator, and think this is the way to go. I am going to see if I can rent one tomorrow and start the process. I am aware of the hazards of using a ozone generator and plan to stay away while it does it's job.

I will post the results when the ozone generator finishes it's job.

Thanks for all your input to my problem.
2013 Toyota Highlander

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Well, ya, your not supposed to be in the space while using an ozone generator. :S

buta4
Explorer
Explorer
dave17352 wrote:
IAMICHABOD wrote:
buta4 wrote:
LewMichele&Paws wrote:
A small ozone generator will do the job. Be sure to follow the instructions.

X2 Ozone generators can be rented at tool rental shops. Ozone generators are what home restorers use after a house fire to eliminate smoke and stale water odors, etc.

Be very careful with an Ozone generator It can be really bad for your health, I had to remove one in my house because of its adverse effects.

HERE Is why

That article makes it seem pretty dangerous. I wonder if it is as dangerous as the article makes it sound.

You're right ... it's dangerous if not used PROPERLY. Just like a propane furnace, water heater, stove, fridge, generator, exhausts, mineral spirits, etc.

If one stays in the house or the RV while it's running, it's dangerous. The ozone generator messes around with the smoke molecules inside the RV/house, the cabinets, the furniture, everywhere, and eliminates the odor. I myself would not hang around with anything that messes with molecules.

That's my point in the previous two entries entry above--seal the RV, turn the ozone generator on and leave the unit for 24 hours or so, as the generator directions dictate. If one can't, or won't follow the instructions included with the generator rental, then they've got no business using one.
JMO
Ray

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
IAMICHABOD wrote:
buta4 wrote:
LewMichele&Paws wrote:

X2 Ozone generators can be rented at tool rental shops. Ozone generators are what home restorers use after a house fire to eliminate smoke and stale water odors, etc.

Be very careful with an Ozone generator It can be really bad for your health, I had to remove one in my house because of its adverse effects.

HERE Is why

That article makes it seem pretty dangerous. I wonder if it is as dangerous as the article makes it sound.
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0

buta4
Explorer
Explorer
IAMICHABOD wrote:
buta4 wrote:
LewMichele&Paws wrote:

HERE Is why

I scanned the named article rather briefly and I saw no mention of the most important part of the operation of an ozone generator in MHO. That is - SEAL THE HOUSE/RV SHUT, TURN ON GENERATOR AND THEN STAY AWAY FOR 24-36 HOURS.

When done, enter RV and open all doors, windows, drawers, etc. to get fresh air in.

Bottom line - all odors will be gone!! Black tank may smell fresher too if toilet valve is propped open?

Check instructions when renting/purchasing as I'm not up-to-date of effect on non-canned foodstuffs. IE: cereals, snacks, etc.
Ray

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
After reading reviews this is what I would buy. I love camp fires myself but hate the smell in the camper.

You can get a ozone machine at a amazon for 139.00. That looks like it would work great.

ozone machine
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
buta4 wrote:
LewMichele&Paws wrote:

HERE Is why
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Give it a little time. It will go away by itself. Sadly ours airs out completely after a few weeks. I like the smell of the campfire. But it just doesn't last.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

buta4
Explorer
Explorer
LewMichele&Paws wrote:

Ray

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
If you leave the coach open it will air out in a few days. Or at least ours always has. If not then the ozone generator will do the trick (you cant rent them).
Good luck,
Scott

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have to agree with the coffee grounds.

I inherited a pick up truck from a heavy smoker and after many attempts to clean it to get the smoke smell out of it with no luck. I heard of the coffee remedy. Sprinkled a generous amount in the floor boards and under the seats, closed it up for a week then vacuumed it up.

I have to admit it took 2 applications, it was really bad, but it worked.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C