Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suspension Upgrades

Gemini2018
Explorer
Explorer
Hello fellow RVers'

I purchased a 2018 Thor Gemini 24TX last year. I took it on an extended "shakedown" trip several weeks ago and man, what a ride.
The vehicle handles like a commercial van. Suspension bottoms out on slightest road blemishes, the semi trailers "assault" and sway.

Can someone please tell me what the best remedy is to upgrade suspension to counter all of these issues.

Did you see the "Announcement : ★★READ BEFORE POSTING HERE★★" at the top?
    Forum Posting Help and Support is reserved for how-to question related to forum posting, signature and photo testing, or reporting member account issues. Please avoid using Forum Posting Help and Support for RV related questions, as doing so can delay responses to your thread. Instead, go to the RV Forum which corresponds to the subject of your topic, and click the Post New Topic link. Thank-you!
7 REPLIES 7

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
lawrosa's advice to weigh the coach and adjust tire pressures is spot on.

To add a few more words...

1. Weigh it loaded as for use, supplies, people, equipment...

2. Then adjust pressures according to actual weight using a tire manufacturer's chart. Michelin's is the most common, and works with any brand as long as you match the size.

3. NOT a door jamb label from Mercedes even Thor. Those are based on both axles at full rated load, and yours probably are not.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Moved from FORUM POSTING HELP AND SUPPORT

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
Gemini2018 wrote:
Thanks for the info gents. My coach has the Mercedes Benz Sprinter chassis.

First thing is to get it weighed at cat scale.

Once you have those #'s compare to the door tag axle weights. Then most important is check the tire pressure.

If they are max inflated and do not need to be let some air out accordingly to the weight of the vehicle..

Its said in other posts that the suspension is too soft.

Others have performed the basics with improvement.

Sumosprings front and rear
Bilstein shocks all around
Upgraded sway bars.

Because all is new and its an 2018 most only start with PSI in tires and sumo springs. Then move on from there after you see the results.

But I would do shocks at same time if it were mine..
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms
2018 coachmen Catalina sbx 261bh

Gemini2018
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info gents. My coach has the Mercedes Benz Sprinter chassis.

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
Hey guys, the Gemini's are neither Class A's or Ford E series based units, its a sprinter or a Transit chassis.

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer
Erased because RV not on a Ford Chassis

phil-t
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of threads in the Class A Motohomes Forum. Some good reading.

You need to figure out exactly which issues you have. I find it hard to believe the suspension is bottoming out.

What chassis, MGWR do you have?

1. Weight of the loaded coach, front and rear; or better, each wheel.
2. Tire pressures adjusted for the tire manufacture's load and inflation tables.
3. Good frontend alignment, by a good truck shop.
After that you can look at suspension upgrade/add-ons. This should be done according to your specific issue(s)
It's a great time learning about all the systems in a class A MH. Good luck; try to take some comfort in knowing you are not alone in this "handling quest".
2014 Allegro 36LA