Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The great slide vs no slide debate

winnietrey
Explorer
Explorer
My observation.
We have a 24ft class C with one small slide. For the second time in 14 years in broke. This time on the second day of a 3 week road trip

Both times it was a 25 cent roll pin. The first time I had an RV place fix it. So I did not gain an understanding of how the slide works. This time my cousin and I did it.

I was reluctant to try and fix it on the road, for fear I would get it stuck out, then we would be in trouble. So we used it with the slide in for the remainder of the trip.

DW, myself, GD and dog. My observation is this, slide is indeed, a very nice thing to have. We felt pretty cramped especially in the AM and at bed time. Lead to all of us being a bit cranky at times.

Given this experience, I would have not have any interest in a RV without a slide. Others of course will feel different, but this is our opinion
71 REPLIES 71

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
lfcjasp wrote:
If anyone else doesn't want a slide, that's great. I'm happy they have the rig they want. It's not MY rig, so it's not my business.
Well Stated!

lfcjasp
Explorer
Explorer
"Debate" is the wrong word I think. Really it's all about personal preference. We have a slide on our motorhome (first RV) and love the extra space. Yes, I do worry a little about the "what if we can't bring it in", but the real solution is to figure how we'd manage in such a dilemna. If anyone else doesn't want a slide, that's great. I'm happy they have the rig they want. It's not MY rig, so it's not my business.

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
pasusan wrote:
winnietrey wrote:
My observation.
We have a 24ft class C with one small slide. For the second time in 14 years in broke. This time on the second day of a 3 week road trip

Both times it was a 25 cent roll pin. The first time I had an RV place fix it. So I did not gain an understanding of how the slide works. This time my cousin and I did it.

I was reluctant to try and fix it on the road, for fear I would get it stuck out, then we would be in trouble. So we used it with the slide in for the remainder of the trip.

DW, myself, GD and dog. My observation is this, slide is indeed, a very nice thing to have. We felt pretty cramped especially in the AM and at bed time. Lead to all of us being a bit cranky at times.

Given this experience, I would have not have any interest in a RV without a slide. Others of course will feel different, but this is our opinion
The reason you felt cramped is not because of no slide, but because you do have a slide that wouldn't go out. Your space was actually lessened because of that.

We haven't felt the need for a slide in the 40+ years we've been camping together.
I agree.

And the same goes for us since 1983.....no slide out here either and loving it so.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
klutchdust wrote:
Toedtoes wrote:

"Your post started with how you are able to get assistance when in the desert (which is very different from where I camp). "

huh? i didn't say that. I have news for you, last spot was 60 miles from any town, fishing in the Sierras off a paved road is somewhat different. Your comment concerning the cost of having someone providing service to you in a remote area is amusing, my point being if you worry that it may cost you extra to get help then my thoughts are stay home where it is safe and let the exploring be done by experienced and qualified individuals.
Again, splitting hairs to try and make a point where there is none to be made.

OK, now I get your point - you were making a personal insult to me. Guess I won't try to have a civil conversation with you again.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Toedtoes wrote:

"Your post started with how you are able to get assistance when in the desert (which is very different from where I camp). "

huh? i didn't say that. I have news for you, last spot was 60 miles from any town, fishing in the Sierras off a paved road is somewhat different. Your comment concerning the cost of having someone providing service to you in a remote area is amusing, my point being if you worry that it may cost you extra to get help then my thoughts are stay home where it is safe and let the exploring be done by experienced and qualified individuals.
Again, splitting hairs to try and make a point where there is none to be made.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had a Nash trailer with one slide out. On one trip I was boondock camping and after 4 days did not have the juice to get the slide in. I found a guy after some serious searching that let me use his generator. I bought one after that.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
pnichols wrote:
toedtoes wrote:
I've looked into those trackers, etc. They are a good idea. As I get older, I worry more about a debilitating injury while out there - having that peace of mind is worth it.

Here's the tracking/text messaging/emergency response device that we now carry on all RV trips. Our daughter at home can see on a map where we are at all times, we can text messages to any phone number, and we can press a special button to call in an emergency medical rescue anywhere anytime - no cellular access required:
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/592606

Thanks! I think that will be my Christmas present to myself this year. 🙂

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
toedtoes wrote:
I've looked into those trackers, etc. They are a good idea. As I get older, I worry more about a debilitating injury while out there - having that peace of mind is worth it.

Here's the tracking/text messaging/emergency response device that we now carry on all RV trips. Our daughter at home can see on a map where we are at all times, we can text messages to any phone number, and we can press a special button to call in an emergency medical rescue anywhere anytime - no cellular access required:
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/592606
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
camperdave wrote:
I feel ya toadtoes. I do what I can to be self sufficient too. Despite that, my wife still makes me carry a SPOT tracker when soloing lol.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
klutchdust wrote:
toedtoes wrote:
klutchdust wrote:
toedtoes wrote:
klutchdust wrote:
Bottom line, relax, there is assistance available wherever you roam, enjoy yourself.

That isn't necessarily true. I routinely camp in remote areas with no cell service. If I can't fix it myself, I have to hope someone comes along who can. And if I can get a hold of someone to come out, they are likely to charge me a significant amount for the 3+ hour round trip.

Now, this does not prevent me from having a slide or anything else. But, it does convince me I should know how to fix certain things - and those are the things that would prevent me from getting home or out of the forest. If the fridge door falls off, I can work around it. If the slide won't go in, I have to get it in.

I simply don't have a slide because I don't feel any need for one.

Splitting hairs. I camp where there is no one either but we have others with us. I have off road vehicles that I can travel 90 miles one way if the need arises on one tank of fuel. I have cb radios. Go out in the desert with a cb, they are people out there.
My crews safety or our need to be helped,rescued,assisted to allow us to travel on has no price tag. If money is an issue, stay in a hotel, then you can just pick up the phone.

I don't really understand your post. I simply pointed out that your prior statement is not completely accurate and now you are suggesting that I belong in a hotel? And being out in the desert off-roading isn't really the same as camping in the Sierras, etc. What works for one area doesn't work for another.

Oh dear. I touched a button or something, going to gracefully back out of this conversation as it no longer serves any reasonable purpose.

No, not a nerve, I just really don't get your point. I re-read it multiple times and just don't get it.

My point was that not all areas are conducive to getting assistance for a problem in a simple manner.

Because I enjoy going to remote areas where I may not be able to get a mobile mechanic, etc., I learn how to fix things myself (at least temporarily) to get back into civilization.

Your post started with how you are able to get assistance when in the desert (which is very different from where I camp). Then you make that statement about hotels. It just seems to not really have a point.

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
I feel ya toadtoes. I do what I can to be self sufficient too. Despite that, my wife still makes me carry a SPOT tracker when soloing lol.
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
toedtoes wrote:
klutchdust wrote:
toedtoes wrote:
klutchdust wrote:
Bottom line, relax, there is assistance available wherever you roam, enjoy yourself.

That isn't necessarily true. I routinely camp in remote areas with no cell service. If I can't fix it myself, I have to hope someone comes along who can. And if I can get a hold of someone to come out, they are likely to charge me a significant amount for the 3+ hour round trip.

Now, this does not prevent me from having a slide or anything else. But, it does convince me I should know how to fix certain things - and those are the things that would prevent me from getting home or out of the forest. If the fridge door falls off, I can work around it. If the slide won't go in, I have to get it in.

I simply don't have a slide because I don't feel any need for one.

Splitting hairs. I camp where there is no one either but we have others with us. I have off road vehicles that I can travel 90 miles one way if the need arises on one tank of fuel. I have cb radios. Go out in the desert with a cb, they are people out there.
My crews safety or our need to be helped,rescued,assisted to allow us to travel on has no price tag. If money is an issue, stay in a hotel, then you can just pick up the phone.

I don't really understand your post. I simply pointed out that your prior statement is not completely accurate and now you are suggesting that I belong in a hotel? And being out in the desert off-roading isn't really the same as camping in the Sierras, etc. What works for one area doesn't work for another.

Oh dear. I touched a button or something, going to gracefully back out of this conversation as it no longer serves any reasonable purpose.

Pops
Explorer
Explorer
Well I gotta tell this: Was camping this summer in VA Mountains at a National Forest campground and got taking to a guy that had a 2018 Forest River Class C. Said his slide wouldn't come in, called dealer, still couldn't get it in. So he drives it with slide still out around 100 miles to the dealer, and then it happened again and he drove it with slide out again 150 miles the 2nd time. Now this was one of those new "wall slide" on driver side of MH. I've had 3 MHs, all with slides and haven't had any trouble that I wasn't able to get it in somehow. Guess I'm lucky and better find some good wood to knock on.
2012 Itasca Cambria 28T

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
DiskDoctr wrote:
It seems the solo or couples campers are the ones who don't feel they need a slide. Makes sense.

But with more people, we need more room. No single-file tunnel life for us! LOL

Yep. That's why there is no right or wrong - just what works for you. 🙂