cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tire chains brand for Roadtrek

dks
Explorer
Explorer
I will be traveling I-90 in April from Ontario to Seattle. Has anyone any recommendations on brands of tire chains that will fit my Roadtrek?
10 REPLIES 10

senf
Explorer
Explorer
We looked at chains but with the lack of clearance, decided to go with AutoSock, which is approved by the Colorado Highways Department - need I say more? Lighter, more compact to carry until needed. Have yet to use them, but expect them to satisfy the "carry chains beyond this point" requirement. Before AutoSock we travelled west down the mountainside from Summit peak in Utah in a blowing blizzard with four inches of snow on the road in our previous Dodge 190 Versatile. No problem, no chains, just weight and slow travel.
"Drive with Care, Life has no Spare!"
2008 Roadtrek C190V 6.0L Hella Fog, Nighthawk Driving, Halogen Reverse Lights, Fiamma Air Horn, Firestone Air Bags, Custom Bed & Mattress, Custom O/Head Tray. website www.sen-f.ca

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
Hi - go to http://www.tirechain.com/TRUCK-SUV-CHAINS.HTM . I have a set of the diamond quickfit that I put on my 03C190P. I haven't needed to use them much - only a couple times - but I haven't had a clearance issue. You can get a Type S - which is a reduced clearance chain - to fit the 265/75-R16 which is my tire size - I can't recall if I went with the reduced clearance or not... As far as speed - the recommendation is not over 35 mph. However, if it is bad enough to warrant tire chains you likely won't be doing more than 20-25mph! I use this style of tire chain on my AWD Subaru's, too. Applys in about 8 minutes, removal sometimes a bit longer. Expect to get dirty - you are in a wheel well covered with road slime... Just had to chain up this past weekend just to get home from work (and back again the next day...dedicated or stupid...???). I carry mine year-round in the RT - have used them in muddy conditions for better traction, too. Not off-roading, but just coming up a wet grade out of a campsite... ST
Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's

4juanrodriguez
Explorer
Explorer
Hey guys,,I never had tire chains on,,,so what would your speed limit be ,,20 to 30 mph,,or is that too fast, ,
STATES VISITED,SLEPT,EAT,WALKED ON...2007 PLEASURE-WAY EXCEL TD,,SOMETIMES TOWING 2010 JEEP WRANGLER SAHARA WITH ROADMASTER ADAPTERS WITH FALCON 5250 TOW BARS..

dks
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry folks, I should have mentioned that my Roadtrek is on a 2003 Chevy 3500 chassis. Candlback, that's an interesting comment about the clearance issue, I would have thought it wouldn't have been a problem. Good to know that ffjeff uses cable chains on his vehicles and it works.

ffjeff
Explorer
Explorer
Our County Transit Buses based on the E450 Fords run single tire cable chains up to Lake Tahoe without problem.

Islandman
Explorer
Explorer
Studded tires probably won't be a legal substitute in several western states when chains are required, but I don't know for sure. WA, OR, and CA laws are pretty specific on the matter and the OP should check things out. Just bought some chains for our Class C, they were $99 plus tax and can be mounted from the outside of the tire/wheel.

Horizon170
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure but you can maybe use studded tires on the rear. I don't know if they are legal everywhere.
Marvin

2010 Coachman Freelander 22TB on a
2008 Sprinter/Freightliner chassis
1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)

candlback
Explorer
Explorer
As I understand it, you need chains not cables on heavy vehicles like Roadtreks. That said, there isn't enough clearance for chains in the wheelwell and they shouldn't be used. At least that is what I have been told for my 2002 Chevy Roadtrek. Looking at mine, that certainly looks like not much clearance.
Candlback

ffjeff
Explorer
Explorer
What Chassis? Our Sprinter chassis with ride-rite air bags would only allow the use of cable chains due to clearance restrictions. While I only needed them once the performance was fine. Of course drive slow....

wcjeep
Explorer
Explorer
Z chains are nice. Quick on and off. Not familiar with your setup. The Z style chains are not the cheapest. 3yrs ago I paid $90 for the wifes vehicle. $180 for my 3/4ton truck.