cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What is this?

6ofus
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all. I am looking at a sales ad for a motorhome very close to my house. Does anyone see the "wavy" or puffiness in the basement area? Seller tells me there is no water damage but I've never seen this before. Any clue?

Click For Full-Size Image.
21 REPLIES 21

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
6ofus wrote:
We didn't go see this one. I didn't like the photos and I didn't want to waste my time or the sellers time. We are not in a hurry and still educating ourselves.

There are tons of Class A's out there at decent prices ๐Ÿ™‚ I look every day. It's become an obsession!

Yep best thing to do. Thatโ€™s how I came across the one we bought. Just always looking and one day it showed up, went to look at it and put money down. Keep looking and donโ€™t settle!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

6ofus
Explorer
Explorer
We didn't go see this one. I didn't like the photos and I didn't want to waste my time or the sellers time. We are not in a hurry and still educating ourselves.

There are tons of Class A's out there at decent prices ๐Ÿ™‚ I look every day. It's become an obsession!

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
6ofus wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
OP, did you go look at this RV yet?

Good morning! It's nice to see a neighbor here on this forum. :C We passed on this one. DH and I are very close to pulling the plug on a Class A, either this year or next year but since it will be our first motorhome we don't want any stupid mistakes. We are still green in regards to storage and insurance options, although these two issues wouldn't make me say no to a good buy, we just need to research a little more. You were correct, it was listed on FB Marketplace (or Craigslist) and this unit actually sold already. Price was great, around $9,800 if I remember correctly. There is actually another one on Marketplace that we are very interested in, a Bounder, but we haven't been able to meet with the seller yet. We both seem to have very busy schedules. Hopefully, we can see it next weekend. If not, we are comfortable with waiting.

I don't know of many Motorhome owners near me but now if I see one when driving through town, I'll have to honk and wave!:)

Did you se this in person or decline after calling them. Just wondering how the damage was. But for $9k and a slide out I thought it was a very good price!

I did se the bounder also. Personally I would spend a bit more on my first RV. Not sure on your situation, but for $20-$30k you can find a really nice one that needs no work.

Maybe Iโ€™ll see a new MH parked around town soon!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

A bad day camping is

6ofus
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:

Good morning! It's nice to see a neighbor here on this forum. :C We passed on this one. DH and I are very close to pulling the plug on a Class A, either this year or next year but since it will be our first motorhome we don't want any stupid mistakes. We are still green in regards to storage and insurance options, although these two issues wouldn't make me say no to a good buy, we just need to research a little more. You were correct, it was listed on FB Marketplace (or Craigslist) and this unit actually sold already. Price was great, around $9,800 if I remember correctly. There is actually another one on Marketplace that we are very interested in, a Bounder, but we haven't been able to meet with the seller yet. We both seem to have very busy schedules. Hopefully, we can see it next weekend. If not, we are comfortable with waiting.

I don't know of many Motorhome owners near me but now if I see one when driving through town, I'll have to honk and wave!:)

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Some good points here.

I believe all would agree that if the side walls have delamination-- RUN AWAY.

If, as it appears that only the basement doors are delamed, the real questions are:
1. Could you live with that look (I know I/we could not)?
2. What would it take (work and/or $$) to repair the doors?

How much below market is it/how much more $$ would it take to get one without those issues?
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like delamination; big red flag. Unless you get a VERY good deal and think you can eventually tackle delam yourself. There is an on-line repair kit.
Jayco-noslide

zigzagrv
Explorer
Explorer
Johno02 wrote:
Ron, our door panels are sheet medal on the outside, either steel or aluminum. Wind caught the edge of the one over the sewer connection bin, and folded it back over 90 degrees. Thought it was going to have to be replaced and painted, but our RV tech was able to take it off and gently unfold it. Amazing that unless you know exactly where it is, you can find no trace of the damage.

I called Gulf Stream for a replacement door, but was told the company who made them had gone out of business. So I got a piece of FRP from Home Depot, color matched paint from Express Paint, straightened out the frame and you would never know it had been damaged.

I don't think the OP's compartment doors are delaminated because they were never laminated in the first place. Could have been the same vendor who supplied Gulf Stream.

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
2013 Ford Edge toad

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Seeing as how the OP and I live on the same town, I believe itโ€™s the same one that came up in Facebook market place. I canโ€™t get a link to post the listing. But looking at the rest of the photos the RV looks to be in good shape other than the basement doors. I couldnโ€™t see any delam in the sidewalls. It does look to be weathered! But I see no sidewall damage. Itโ€™s on an F53 chassis with a V-10. If the doors are the only issue, then I would jump on it! For the price you canโ€™t go wrong! I wonโ€™t post the asking price, I will let the OP post it if they would like.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Is this a website photo? Post other photos if there is any. Compartment doors are not usually prssure laminated that would cause de-lam. As posted earlierthey are made of metal with styro foam inside.
Go look!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome neighbor!
Love how everyone is scared of the doors! And offering advice on something completely different than what they are looking at.
The basement doors I wouldnโ€™t worry about at all. I would worry about the sidewalls! If the sidewalls look like that then I would pass. If the rest of the RV looks good and the price is right (and I believe this is the same one I came across) the basement doors wouldnt worry me, and yes they are delaminates, But They would be fairly easy to repair it would just take some time to do each one right.

I would go look at it. Is this in iL because I believe Iโ€™ve seen this one on Facebook market place. If it is for that price I would seriously consider it if the structural and mechanical part of the MH checks out.

Good luck!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Ron, our door panels are sheet medal on the outside, either steel or aluminum. Wind caught the edge of the one over the sewer connection bin, and folded it back over 90 degrees. Thought it was going to have to be replaced and painted, but our RV tech was able to take it off and gently unfold it. Amazing that unless you know exactly where it is, you can find no trace of the damage.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Run, Forrest, run!

This!
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Run, Forrest, run!
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?