cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wheelbase ratio

Jack1776
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the response regarding the used RV. I have another question regarding the wheelbase ratio with the length of the RV. I have been told that this really affects the ride, and that the best ratio is between 56% and up. Anything less than say 54% and sway becomes more evident. Is this true, particularly with older RVs?...All info is appreciated. Thanks, Vincent
6 REPLIES 6

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
No question, there are a number of factors that go into how a coach rides and handles.

That is why I said: "on the same chassis and coach dimensions"

I am familiar with a very poor WB/OL but rides and handles well.

The Foretravel 34' diesel pusher. BUT (large but) they put a lot of $$ into the suspension-- 8 outboard air bags, 8 shocks, etc. $$ can overcome issues.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are a lot of other things that effect the ride quality beside the WB ratio. Front end alignment, weight distribution, sway bars, tire pressure etc. Even if you have two identical MH's except for WB and the front end alignment or weight distribution is off on one, 2 ins of longer WB is not going to fix it. Chances are when you are looking to buy a MH they won't be on the same chassis or same make so test drive each one for yourself how it handles.

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
The longer the wheel base, the better the ride, Weight and a tag will also make a ride improvement.
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Such a difference between my sold Tahoes and my current Silverado all due to increased wheelbase. Every inch is important.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would say yes as well.
Though there is a "Counter measure"
First some definitions.. They are different for Motor homes and trailers

SWAY. on a Trailer that's when the trailer swings side to side. but on a Motor home that's called WAG or at least what I call it

Sway on a motor home is side to side rocking.. Like fans at a rock concert holding up their BIC singing We Are The World.

WAG is when the tail wags like a dog (or the nose either one) side to side.

This is because leaf spring suspension allows the body to move sideways over the axle. TRAC BARS.. Stop this 100% (one front one rear)
(So does independent front suspension on the front end but most Motor Homes have solid front axle)

Sway bars on a Mother home try to control the side to side rocking. Many (other than Workhorse) have rubber bushings that cause all sorts of hassle when they wear out.. and you can get stronger bars too.

Finally there is a steering stabilizer like a True-Center (Blue ox) or Safe-T-Steer. I like the ones mentioned because of the "Remote recenter" feature.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, longer WB/OL on the same chassis and coach dimensions gives better handling, particularly better tracking.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/