cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

When to buy?

Snomas
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™m feeling that it wonโ€™t be long when the RV market is flooded w/ used RVs. What do yuall think.
2006 WINNEBAGO ASPECT 29H Ford E450 Super Duty
2018 F150 Lariat Crew Cab, Coyote 5.0 L RWD
24 REPLIES 24

n0arp
Explorer
Explorer
I think a lot of people are going to be too far upside down to sell theirs. There won't be a big influx of used ones for many years.

I'm a proponent of buying an RV when you're ready, not waiting around for the right deal to come along. If you want to get out there and travel you need to do it while you can. Life happens, and illness, injury, personal obligations and other factors are always out there to get in the way of your future plans. We have two relatives who have had to drop and/or substantially modify their plans to travel, recently. One passed after a brief fight with cancer, and the other had a stroke that will change their life forever. It might be getting slightly off-topic, but I think the idea of waiting for the right deal is waiting too long. We sold our house and went fulltime in our 30s, because who knows if we'll be able to enjoy it or even be around come retirement age.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40',
4380W solar, 22.8kWh LiFePO4@48V, 450AH AGM@12V
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2.0T, cloaked on 37x13.5s

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Iโ€™m not so sure about a glut of used ones. Manufacturers are working overtime to build new ones and are having issues getting parts and workers. It may turnout there may be a glut of new ones going unsold. I was told by Newmar when I wanted to replace the **** FlexSteel furniture they could not offer an estimate as the new supplier is so backlogged meeting existing orders they wonโ€™t consider making non warranty replacement units.

It could also be we are seeing a significant shift in work environments. Many companies and workers alike have found out two things. One they can get by with fewer workers although some have gone a bit overboard (perhaps not by choice). Two, if people can work from home they can work anywhere. Add in more and faster buildout of nationwide 5G and little need to go into office. Major cities will feel the impact first.

Add into that the current climate of workers being paid not to work, is putting pressure on small and medium businesses to modernize and automate. Iโ€™ve seen many chain restaurants building new facilities with drive thru / takeout only.

A lot of people are distressed with the whole public school system now and pulling their kids out to either place them in private/parochial schools or home school. The latter being far better option than Zoom classes. As RVers oft say my home is where I park it.

And lastly current and potentially longer lasting inflation making cost of regular houses unaffordable for many or most will force some to opt for an RV as their permanent abode.

Just my thoughts, YMMV.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

rlw999
Explorer
Explorer
I think the best answer is "Buy low, sell high" and if you can predict the dates to do that, you'll be a wealthy man.

I do think there's going to be a downturn in sales and a slump in prices as used inventory hits the market from people who decided that RV'ing isn't right for them. I thought it would happen at the end of this summer, but with Delta picking up (and new variants might be on the way), now I'm thinking it's not going to happen until next summer at the earliest.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
If Covid and its variants stay around, it may be a long time before you see them on the market.

Agreed. There seems to be a large segment of society that wants or expects this thing to go on forever. I hope it doesn't, I'm tired of being trapped up here in Canuckistan.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
There will be a glut on the market for a short time then we will go back to the new normal. In the end we will have many new RVers.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Then you have those tens of thousands of families that took the opportunity to use their Covid relief cash to get something they may never had been able to afford otherwise. Those people will be RV lifer's, filling up campgrounds for years to come.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
If Covid and its variants stay around, it may be a long time before you see them on the market.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

happynow
Explorer
Explorer
You betcha. As already stated, lack of maintenance will be determining factor for the descerning buyer.
happynow

Steve and Carol

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
radiojeffrv wrote:
Would have to agree...I believe many people ran out and bought RVs during the height of the pandemic and had no clue what it really takes to maintain a RV. I expect to see many on the market over the next 2-5 years.

I agree. But 2-5 years of zero maintenance is going to take an expensive toll in the form of water intrusion and bad tires and worn=-out batteries. Buyer beware, even more than usual.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

radiojeffrv
Explorer
Explorer
Would have to agree...I believe many people ran out and bought RVs during the height of the pandemic and had no clue what it really takes to maintain a RV. I expect to see many on the market over the next 2-5 years.