cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Camp Chef BBQ Box

out_for_a_rip
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Everyone - I am looking for opinions on the Camp Chef BBQ Box with hinged lid. I have the two burner explorer stove and thought this might be a good solution over buying a stand alone grill. Does anyone have experience with one?
9 REPLIES 9

yankee_camper
Explorer
Explorer
I also have the 2 burner explorer stove and the BBQ box that covers both burners. It tends to cook really hot so you have to use the flame tamer discs on them and even then watch it. You won't get any flame to your food, to me it's more of an oven. The grill itself is built like a tank with nice cast iron grates. It's alright but I wouldn't buy it again.

dieselbobcat
Explorer
Explorer
Camp Chef - Big Gas Grill here as well... we camp quite a bit (36-40 nights a year) and mostly cook in camp... so we put 100+ meals across it annually... we got 4+ years out of each of the two units we had previously before they started to rust out...Just bought our third... Burners will hold up in the wind, plenty of heat (30k each)...basically a turkey fryer burner X3 The grill box works great, even to bake... over the years we have added a single burner griddle, a three burner griddle, both the carry bags for the grill box and the three-burner grill.

You can get the Big Gas Grill with the grill box off Amazon for like $280 delivered free...
2014 Rockwood Ultralight 8312SS Diamond Edition
2016 F350 Super Duty Crew Cab Lariat Ultimate 4X4 6.2L

evanrem
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have had the biggass 3 for 6 or so years with the two burner grill and the grill has been solid. I plug it into the RV propane port on the camper.

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
fpoole wrote:
Yep, Luv Camp Chef stuff...

The hinged BBQ box works great. Temp gauge works fine as best as I can tell. I'm not sure what you're looking for, I'm not a professional BBQ'er so not sure of the quality you're looking for.

I've been using various Camp Chef stoves from the single to the triple, current on my second double burner and have always had great result.

I'm sure you'll get other post swearing that their BBQ is the best, heheh, so take this with a grain of salt...

Good luck, but IMNSHO, you can't go wrong with Camp Chef..
(and No, i don't work for them, just enjoy the products over the years, fun eh? heheh)

Double ditto.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
BBQ means Charcoal

Charcoal means Weber

Weber means 'Smokey Joe' 14" BBQ

:B
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

phemens
Explorer
Explorer
Mine lasted about 10 years before the bottom rusted out, was overall happy with the unit, but am downsizing to a Weber 2200, have less storage space now. One downside is that you need to bag it when storing, otherwise all the dirt, carbon and fossilized food fall out the bottom into your storage compartment. Also didnโ€™t like that it took up 2 of my 3 burners, but I get fancy in my cooking when we camp, so may not be an issue for others...
2012 Dutchman Denali 324LBS behind a 2006 Ford F-250 V10 out of Montreal
1 DW, 1 DD, 1 DS, 2 HD (Hyper Dogs)
1200w solar, 600AH LIFePO4, Yamaha EF2000 gen, Samlex 3000w Inverter

fpoole
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, you should be fine with the BBQ box.

Margaritas.... Oh yeah. heheh,
also have all 3 blenders. (includes the 3 blender one)
The yellow one is a battery operated but don't see it being offered.

Margaritaville Cargo

Fun the are...

Frank Poole
Roam'n ROG (Full Timer since Oct '15)
2016 RAM 5500, C/c, 6.7 Diesel, AISIN HD 6-spd, 19.5 DRW, 72 Gal fuel, 4x4, 10โ€™ Alum FB, 440 Amps, 4.10 Axle
2016 AF 990 640-Solar/10-6v Batts
GlowStep Stow Nโ€™ Go, E-Bike
RS1 Buggy
frank

Pooles website

out_for_a_rip
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the reply, I have had my Camp Chef stove and griddle for a couple years and love it. It looks like you were having some fun when you took that pic! Where is the margarita machine from?

fpoole
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, Luv Camp Chef stuff...

The hinged BBQ box works great. Temp gauge works fine as best as I can tell. I'm not sure what you're looking for, I'm not a professional BBQ'er so not sure of the quality you're looking for.

I've been using various Camp Chef stoves from the single to the triple, current on my second double burner and have always had great result.

I'm sure you'll get other post swearing that their BBQ is the best, heheh, so take this with a grain of salt...

Good luck, but IMNSHO, you can't go wrong with Camp Chef..
(and No, i don't work for them, just enjoy the products over the years, fun eh? heheh)

Frank Poole
Roam'n ROG (Full Timer since Oct '15)
2016 RAM 5500, C/c, 6.7 Diesel, AISIN HD 6-spd, 19.5 DRW, 72 Gal fuel, 4x4, 10โ€™ Alum FB, 440 Amps, 4.10 Axle
2016 AF 990 640-Solar/10-6v Batts
GlowStep Stow Nโ€™ Go, E-Bike
RS1 Buggy
frank

Pooles website