cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Accessing Spectrum Internet Public Access Points

trailertraveler
Explorer
Explorer
We are currently in Florida. In several locations I have encountered Wifi access points with the SSID Spectrum, Spectrum Mobile and/or Spectrum Free Trial. My internet searches have not provided any information on whether access can be purchased for use of these access points. I am familiar with how Verizon wifi and Xfinity wifi system access works. Not sure if they still do, but at one time Xfinity sold access without having a home internet or wireless account. Any insight into how the Spectrum system works would be greatly appreciated.
Safe travels!
Trailertraveler
6 REPLIES 6

CarnationSailor
Explorer II
Explorer II
wa8yxm wrote:
It is interesting that the Spectrum wi-fi hotspot map lists both Spectrum and X-finity but my user name is at charter.net.

I'm' going to have to try one hot spot since I'll be there come Sunday with at least 1/2 if not a full hour to kill. (I like to arrive early so as to get the best parking)

My user name is also at charter.net even though my account is with Spectrum. I think that is because Charter Communications owns Spectrum.
2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
It is interesting that the Spectrum wi-fi hotspot map lists both Spectrum and X-finity but my user name is at charter.net.

I'm' going to have to try one hot spot since I'll be there come Sunday with at least 1/2 if not a full hour to kill. (I like to arrive early so as to get the best parking)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

trailertraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the responses. Not sure that switching to Spectrum would be a good choice for where we live and travel. In my research I did read that access points that we encountered with the SSID Cablewifi are now Spectrum and no longer available to Xfinity customers.
Safe travels!
Trailertraveler

CarnationSailor
Explorer II
Explorer II
MrWizard wrote:
As I recall Spectrum jumped into the cellular phone service, the WiFi access points are default for connection for Spectrum phones, phone over internet protocol, the phones use cellular only if there is no Spectrum WiFi access point available

The Spectrum wiFi access points are used not by default, but only when "Wifi Calling" is turned on. Otherwise, they are only used for data.

MrWizard
As I recall Spectrum jumped into the cellular phone service, the WiFi access points are default for connection for Spectrum phones, phone over internet protocol, the phones use cellular only if there is no Spectrum WiFi access point available
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

CarnationSailor
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have Spectrum Mobile for my cell service provider so I can use these access points with my cell phone. I can also use Xfinity access points even though I have no service with them. (Some sort of cooperative agreement must exist between Spectrum and Xfinity.)

I also have Spectrum internet service at my home so I assume I should be able to use these access points with my computer although I have never tried. I know of no other way to use them.