cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Any "Real" Unlimited Plans?

Texsinbad
Explorer
Explorer
Within the next couple of months, we hope to hit the road and looking for โ€œrealโ€ unlimited data for internet while traveling.

Things might change, but we probably stream/download 50 gigs a DAY. So, we really need unlimited plan.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
55 REPLIES 55

riah
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe Spectrum internet and mobile might be an option. Subscribers reportedly have โ€œaccess to thousands of Wi-Fi hotspots across the nationโ€ .

But Iโ€™d think once your on the road you really wouldnโ€™t be streaming as much on the go every day.

Personally I hope to be out on the trails hiking and biking when we ever hit the road in 2021, once we can get vaccinated, fingers crossed!

Merry Christmas everyone!

Texsinbad wrote:
Within the next couple of months, we hope to hit the road and looking for โ€œrealโ€ unlimited data for internet while traveling.

Things might change, but we probably stream/download 50 gigs a DAY. So, we really need unlimited plan.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you need 1080 or higher and you plan to stream on a frequent basis your best bet is to pray every day for a miracle! Unless you plan to wait 10-20 years before you hit the road (assuming some miraculous technology change), there is nothing in the near future that will allow you to use the amount of data you hope.....at least not at any reasonable price!
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Texsinbad wrote:
Not a Troll, just someone who enjoys watching movies/shows.

Sure, I can stream/download SD, but what is the use of having a 4K tv. Personally, I don't watch anything under HD, 1080.

4K definitely requires more data. Some 4K movies can be almost 100 gigs.

Things might change once I hit the road.

Someone suggested do other things, and I will, but come nighttime, I enjoy relaxing and watching movies/shows.

Thanks for all of the suggestions/comments.

"Things" WILL change very quickly and you better be willing to downgrade your viewing tastes and or subscribe to 8 or 10 different high data cell plans per month to cover your extravagant video consumption.. You not gonna find any one provider that is going to give you the amount of data you will need..

Champagne tastes on a "beer" budget, not gonna happen once you pull to hard wired cord out.

Cell data is not cheap and they WILL throttle you down to sub SD video speeds to the point even playing a MP3 becomes a chore to listen to.

Before you believe any "unlimited" claims you better make darn sure that it doesn't state THROTTLING. Pretty much every cell data provider will have some caps and then you get throttled down to as low as 53K (dial up speed).

My DD has a cell plan which states "unlimited" but in the FINE print she is only allotted 22gb per month and exceeding that they WILL throttle back to 128kbps.. Costs her $80 per month for that and you will use that up in half a day.. Your looking at needing 60 separate plans and at $80 per month that is $4800!!! What a bad habit to feed.

Might have to slowly ween yourself off of the video habit.. Quitting Cold turkey just might kill you.

Texsinbad
Explorer
Explorer
Not a Troll, just someone who enjoys watching movies/shows.

Sure, I can stream/download SD, but what is the use of having a 4K tv. Personally, I don't watch anything under HD, 1080.

4K definitely requires more data. Some 4K movies can be almost 100 gigs.

Things might change once I hit the road.

Someone suggested do other things, and I will, but come nighttime, I enjoy relaxing and watching movies/shows.

Thanks for all of the suggestions/comments.

MrWizard
Telcos use the word unlimited too freely
Often what they really should say is "unfettered access" to the internet, anytime anyplace you have signal, NOT what we think it should mean " all the data stream we can use"

When they throttle the bandwidth they reduce the data flow, so they really are limiting how much data can be used,
Around here, mobile data gets really congested from rush hours thru early evening, I think it's too many people using navigation apps to get home , commute traffic is virtually same most days, traffic delays and accidents are common place, Waze can give you more info than you used to get from the car radio, but it IS still the same slow drive home,
commuting has been getting slower every year, watching the App screen real time traffic glut, won't speed up the drive home

Oops off topic, anyway that's my data use situation, every afternoon, forget internet .. Work on something, read, take a nap
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
learntorv wrote:
A friend was required to be on live video for work. He said he used 6 to 8 terabytes (TB) of data per month. He had a couple of grandfathered unlimited Verizon plans. It's worked well for him for the past couple of years. I honestly don't know how he never got pinched- friends had a grandfathered Verizon plan and Verizon cancelled it on them after they consistently used 800-900gb per month.

My family had both a grandfathered unlimited data plan on AT&T and one on Verizon. I always debated getting a 3rd provider for some of the more urban areas we would camp in snowbirding season. We used anywhere from 200-500gb per month.

I'm betting your friend got his units mixed up. You can run SD video 24/7 for a month on only use about 0.5TB. So with other use, he may have been using 0.6-0.8TB.

And as you say, the companies watch usage and will cancel you for abusing the unlimited plans.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

MrWizard
And how much is your monthly , weekly daily data usage certainly Not 50 gig a day
I'm online a lot I watch movies and you tube , post on forums, download etc, I also share my att hotspot account, I seldom hit 100+ gig for an entire month,
Usually 40 gig or so, 60 to 80 if I have been saving video content to watch at another time,
Maybe multiple people streaming different content at the same time for Long hours or massive online role playing gaming
A 4 person team in battle on call of duty or wowc
Live video broadcast streaming from the rv ?

learntorv wrote:
folivier wrote:
Geez, just stay home. There's so much to see and do as you travel you should find you only watch an hour or so tv and internet each day.

We don't all camp like you do. I personally work a 9-5 job remotely. Being able to take the RV out and still be able to work is wonderful. It allowed me to fulltime and travel the country with my family of 4 for the past 5 years.

Just because you use entertainment differently doesn't mean everyone does.
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

learntorv
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:
50 gig per day?

That's crazy high, around 1,500 gig per month?

Your going to pay a crazy amount per month IF you can find a wireless provider that will be willing to give 1.5TB or higher limits per month.

No, Cell wireless Internet is not really "unlimited" per say, they won't stop you from using it but they WILL "throttle" you down to dial up speeds after you reach the agreement threshhold.. And I suspect you won't be happy with 53Kb-128kb throttle speeds.

Might want to rethink your streaming usage, you may need to force streaming to SD 480i instead of HD video. Find OTHER ways to entertain yourself like buying or renting DVDs.. Don't depend on campgrounds wifi, they are often over congested and weak which makes streaming pretty much worthless.

A friend was required to be on live video for work. He said he used 6 to 8 terabytes (TB) of data per month. He had a couple of grandfathered unlimited Verizon plans. It's worked well for him for the past couple of years. I honestly don't know how he never got pinched- friends had a grandfathered Verizon plan and Verizon cancelled it on them after they consistently used 800-900gb per month.

My family had both a grandfathered unlimited data plan on AT&T and one on Verizon. I always debated getting a 3rd provider for some of the more urban areas we would camp in snowbirding season. We used anywhere from 200-500gb per month.

Unfortunately none of these plans are available any longer. For the OP's data usage of 50gb a day, you're going to have a hard time finding plans that support this.

I generally refer folks to rvmobileinternet.com and suggest they pay for a 1-year subscription. It can help to see what plans are out there. Technomadia does a good job of keeping up with the latest in mobile internet news.

learntorv
Explorer
Explorer
folivier wrote:
Geez, just stay home. There's so much to see and do as you travel you should find you only watch an hour or so tv and internet each day.

We don't all camp like you do. I personally work a 9-5 job remotely. Being able to take the RV out and still be able to work is wonderful. It allowed me to fulltime and travel the country with my family of 4 for the past 5 years.

Just because you use entertainment differently doesn't mean everyone does.

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
I think he got mixed up on usage
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

MrWizard
When I record 1080p broadcast OTA TV, it is 6 gigabyte per hour video stream,
No video stream I have watched and recorded from online has exceeded 2GB per HR, a 2HR streamed movie approximately 4GB of data, to stream 50GB of HD video will require 24HR continuous HD video stream
Yes Less hours for 4k uhd streams, but I don't think either is a realistic possibility over cellular data network, even if I could get those data speeds, I could not spend that amount of time with eyes glued to the screen,
How did you come to the conclusion you need 50 giga bytes of data stream per day??
Most telcos throttle after the plan wifi hotspot data tether limit 10 GB per MONTH, you are going to need multiple accounts/lines just to cover one day of 50GB !!
Some services will give you more hotspot data per month , none are going to allow 50GB per day average use
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
The OP posted this same thing over on another RV forum with the same responses there, nothing available at that usage level.

folivier
Explorer
Explorer

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
FMCA Tech Connect from Sprint/T-mobile (Sprint side) I observed no lmits when I had it. Now speeds varied from around 5 Mbps to over 100 depending on where i Was (only one spot hit 100) At the time Sprint and T-mobile had JUST announced the merger and towers were still one or the other... With the merger of towers now rumored to be complete. I don't know how that will affect the speed.

50/month and one time 50 setup... I was happy.

Only issue is occasionally I had to shut off. and turn back on (not restart) the device A few times I just did a restart. one time I had to power off then back on.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
newman fulltimer wrote:
Its a troll guys

OP has been a member since 2015 and only 7 posts and this thread would count as one of the posts..

Not sure about a Troll, perhaps confused about how much data they use but if you are streaming all 4K UHD content, you can burn up a lot of data in a hurry..

Per HERE 4K UHD content can use 25Mbps (Meg Bits Per Second)which is 1.5gb (gig bit) per minute and for a 2 hr movie your looking at 360Gb (gig Bit) per movie.

My Cable Internet has a 1.5Tb data cap, I would only be able to stream FOUR 2hr movies in 4K UHD per month..