cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

AT&T or T-Mobile Tourist Plan for CA Coast

TKW
Explorer
Explorer
I will be traveling along the CA coast from Monterey to LA after the Labour Day. To get internet service in case the campground WiFi is too busy, I am thinking of getting a prepaid tourist plan from one of the two cellphone providers. I would like to hear from those who had experience with the data services, reception & speed etc. Thanks in advance!
2002 Chevy 1500HD Crew Cab, 6.0l
2013 Timber Ridge 240RBS
Prodigy Brake Controller
6 REPLIES 6

pismopete
Explorer
Explorer
Verizon is pretty solid on the Calif coast. Never had a problem. Someone mentioned hiway 1, it's now open.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just spend about a month along the CA coast and the T-Mobile service was terrible. Luckily I also have AT&T for data service and that was usable but the signal strengths pretty low. I have been in those same areas in the past with Verizon and have had no problems. I just had to drop Verizon due to the high cost and low limits on their unlimited data plans.
I am pretty sure that both T-Mobile and AT&T would have benefited dramatically from an external cellular antenna.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

NMDriver2
Explorer
Explorer
Check with CA DOT on highway 1 between Monterey and San Luis Obispo. It was permanently closed to through traffic not to long ago. Another vote for Verizon we have verizon and t-mobile phones the verizon is almost always connected t mobile not so much out of towns.
Turret Class traveler

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
We camp a lot on the WA and OR coast. T-Mobile was very spotty or worthless. Verizon always solid...

Sorry, can't speak to CA. Haven't camped there for a few years.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Verizon would be your best choice. ATT a close second. All the others a distant third.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Good luck finding any cell service whatsoever south of Pfiffers SP to about Pideras Blancas. None at Kirk or Plaskett Creek USFS for instance.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad