cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Batwing Antenna

MARTY63
Explorer
Explorer
I for got the Bat Wing Antenna was up when leaving a campground. While wheeling down the interstate at 65 mph i had someone point it out to me. I pulled over and put it down the way it should be. Next campsite had cable TV and when plugged into trailer my TV's would not work.
My first thought is damage to bat wing from blowing around. Using multi meter to check cable it shows cable shorted together where it inters trailer. Every else it shows cable open. Now if I put bat wing in up pos. all cables show short. So what do you think ? Can something in batwing gp bad from the blowing around ? Why would it only affect other cables only when it is in up Pos. ?
5 REPLIES 5

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
Did you just forget to push the little button on the antenna box??

Splitters might show a short to an ohmeter.

Did you re-scan with park cable settings on your tv? It is so easy to forget a step.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would suggest that your first trouble shooting step would be to run a new coax from the antenna directly to the Antenna input on the wall mounted power supply. This will give you a definite yes or no as to whether the cable is the problem or whether is could be the a problem in the head or downstream from the cabling. We too often assume that a problem was caused by a recent event when the problem turns out to be completely coincidental.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Usually there is a connector set where the cable hits the roof. Now depending on who built your RV it may be sticking up through some caulking or it may be buried under a clamshell cover. I had to replace both cable ends and the Barrel (Double female) connector on mine... I used weatherproof Compression ends on both the cables (Roof to antenna and roof to switch plate) and sealed it all up good when I was done. I like those compression connectors. they hold nice and strong. not like the crimp on jobs the factory used (AH-AH-AH-CHOO and they pop off).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Made me think of one of my trips going through Smoky Mtns… We had just left ELKMONT CAMP heading for Townsend and found an antenna laying in the middle of the road. It was one of those BATWING type... This was just past a pretty sharp turn around some low over hanging rocks. I picked it up and laid it in the back seat of my truck... We went a bit farther up the road and here was a motorhome pulled off at a pull out with driver outside looking at his motorhome... So I pulled over too and asked if he was missing an antenna... He was shacking his head for yes so I handed him his somewhat slightly bent antenna... Told him it was laying in the middle of the road a few miles back just after the low over hang haha... It didn't look like it was damaged all that much. Bet he got it back up and working again...

You read about this all the time of RV'ers coming up with ideas to remind them to check for the still raised antenna before heading out...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Could have damaged the cable between the roof and the antenna mast.
Could have damaged electronic booster in the head.
Take cable loose at the antenna head and retest cable

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker