cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

best dish for DIRECTV?

ffemt1271
Explorer
Explorer
I already have Directv at home with an extra receiver for the camper.
I currently use a manual dish but want to upgrade to an auto portable style dish. I have narrowed it down to a King Quest, King Flex, or a wineguard carryout G2+. None have better reviews than the other so thought I would ask here and see what everyone uses. Thanks
Professional Firefighter/EMT
2003 DODGE 2500Hd/ cummins
2001 dutchman 27rk 5er
Prodigy Controller
9 REPLIES 9

ffemt1271
Explorer
Explorer
thanks. the dish adapter for KD is $99.
2001 dutchman 27rk 5er
Prodigy Controller

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
The King Dome and the Winegard domes both work with Dish or DirecTV expect the ones that are made for Dish Network only. I believe you have to buy an adapter to make the KD work with Dish but that is standard with the Winegard G2/G2+
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

ffemt1271
Explorer
Explorer
i only have sd now because i use a 18" round dish while travelling so hd isnt an issue. i believe the king quest dish can be changet to work with dish. might be my best bet in case directv sd goes away
2001 dutchman 27rk 5er
Prodigy Controller

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just be sure that you will be happy without ANY of the DirecTV HD programming and that you don't plan to use a Genie, client or H25 receiver.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
I have the same thoughts....with my RV I use a dish on a tripod. Works. SD only. I really don't care about HD in the RV.

Now..here is the problem: I read an article that says SD with DIRECTV will no longer be available after 2019. The SD satellite (101?) will "run out of fuel" to keep it where it should be) and when that happens, as it burns up on the way down, SD will be discontinued. HD only from that point on.

So...thinking...500 bucks for maybe 2 years of (SD) service? I'm gonna wait and see what happens in 2019.

ffemt1271
Explorer
Explorer
thanks. maybe i can get by with a G2 instead of the + version. only using it 5 or 6 times a year
2001 dutchman 27rk 5er
Prodigy Controller

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
We had the G2 installed on the roof to replace our outdated dome dish. Very happy with it. Turn it on inside, locks on quickly if no trees in the way. We did not get in motion or HD. Basic receiver works great.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

ffemt1271
Explorer
Explorer
yeah, posted about this in a different section and was shut down by a moderator for double post whatever that is. was looking for up to date info before spending $500 on a dish. sad that i renewed my membership for 2 years but this will be my last.
2001 dutchman 27rk 5er
Prodigy Controller

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
While waiting for answers how about searching this Forum for each model eg. `G2' has 116 responses. We have the G2 but I think the G2+ would be better; easier to set up.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)