cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

cable wifi

VoodooMedicineM
Explorer
Explorer
If you have cable wifi at home, Bright House Networks, Cox Communications, Optimum, Time Warner Cable and XFINITY allow each other's high-speed Internet customers to access more than 400,000 WiFi hotspots.

See here
Bill and Joey the dog
19 REPLIES 19

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
Comcast called us! "Have we got a deal for you!!!!!". They told the wife that our old modem was "out dated" and we need to "upgrade". I had 50 MBPS. She went down and picked the new modem/router and I set it up. PITA! I had static IP's and it didn't like those. Also I have a device that has a 192.168.... IP that I can't change and the comcast router uses 10.0.... so it doesn't work anymore. Spent hours! Ended up with over 80 MBPS but how fast do you really need. I didn't find out about the Xfinity WiFi signal I was broadcasting for months. I saw it but I figured it was a neighbor. They don't tell you about the Infinity WiFi signal and it comes shipped to you turned on by default. They trick you into being their hotspot. It's great for them and they don't really care about the customer since it's Comcast or nothing. The choice is yours.

The only advantage I got out of the deal was I used my old router as an range extender and now have WiFi out in the garage.

hazelleather
Explorer
Explorer
What if I don't want a Hotspot, I need the bandwidth for work at least 12/hrs a day and plan on just parking the RV in a nice spot. Does Satellite work fairly good? or Can the local cable carrier providing internet set-up me up with a better connection at some parks?

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
Google how to disable xfinity wifi and even Comcast will tell you how. Although we use the available hotspots in our travels it just feels wrong so I have it disabled on our three Xfinity modems.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
I have xfinity here at the house and a few years back my year old high dollar router just stopped. I called xfinity and they said it was no longer supported but I could get their new one that supported even faster speeds, etc, etc. No mention at that time that they planned the guest wifi program. That came a year later and for a month or so, my wifi went wonky every time they turned on the guest side. No issues since.

I have seen a few folks sitting out front on their laptops but not regular. We are pretty far back in the neighbor hood and see little traffic. My phone beeps every time we pass one but there is a app that will show you where they are so you can go to them. The phone also signs into them automatically so it saves on mobile data.

As a non xfinity customer, you can connect, sign up and get a free hour a month I think. You can also buy more time but you'll have to look into what that means.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

kmbelt
Explorer
Explorer
Here is how it works.

If you get a cable/dsl modem from your provider that has WIFI built into it, then it is possible that it is broadcasting this connection to the public. I know that Time Warner Cable does where i live. Others can connect to it if they have the services themselves and yes, they do use your bandwidth that you pay for. When i help family members set their stuff up, i disable this option as i am not fond of others using my bandwith.

If you have a simple modem that does not support wifi and provide your own Wireless router, then you are not sharing this capability.
2014 Ram 2500, 6.4 Hemi, CC, 4x4
2010 Puma 259RBSS

8_1_Van
Explorer
Explorer
XFINITY Wi-Fi

Does the new Home Hotspot impact my Internet speeds or data usage?

The broadband connection to your home will be unaffected by the new feature. For your in-home WiFi network, we have provisioned the XFINITY WiFi feature to support robust usage, and therefore anticipate minimal impact to the in-home WiFi network. WiFi uses shared wireless spectrum, and as with any shared medium, there can be some impact as more devices share the network.

Also, the usage and activities of visiting users are associated with the visitorsโ€™ accounts and therefore do not impact the homeowner's.

FAQ

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
All of the TWC hotspots I've checked so far appear to be located at commercial subscriber sites, not private subscribers.

Those are the ones they publicly advertise. Customers like myself with the wireless gateway have a Xfinity router with a second signal that a visitor, neighbor or someone parked on the street with an Xfinity account can sign into.

They are not using your bandwidth, they can be tracked if they download something illegal but you are providing the electricity for their hotspot which I doubt is any more than 1 signal. With a little research you can disable the "free" signal. I live far enough off the highway I don't worry about it.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
If your private WIFI router is open to allow access to anyone, then you deserve to pay for whatever bandwidth they use.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

Gene_Ginny
Explorer
Explorer
bgum wrote:
It is my understanding that their new modems share bandwith with the area to become a hotspot. If this is true then the customer pays for the bandwith and the provider thumps their chest.
Cox in RI doesn't use any customer bandwidth. I think they have 2 hotspots in RI, neither is anywhere near me.
Gene and DW Ginny
[purple] 2008 Toyota 4Runner 4.7L V8 w/factory towing option
2002 Sunline Solaris Lite T2363[/purple]

Reese Dual Cam Straight Line HP Sway Control

Proud member of the Sunline Club

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
If the router is password protected (Pass key PSK whatever) it's not going to be possible to connect to it less you have the right key.

Now. Windows 10 has a hidden feature.. IT SHARES your wi-fi pass keys with everyone on your contact list.. (At least one of them) so if you have the pass-keys for your Home, Office, and so on everybody on your contact list has it.

You can disable the feature easily.. Just google how to do it.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

VoodooMedicineM
Explorer
Explorer
Works for me in Florida
Bill and Joey the dog

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
All of the TWC hotspots I've checked so far appear to be located at commercial subscriber sites, not private subscribers.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

christopherglen
Explorer
Explorer
At least with Xfinity, the user login is billed the bandwidth, not the actual house wifi you are connecting to. So you connect to my private wifi, I pay for your bandwidth usage with my account, you connect to the "xfinitywifi" it goes against YOUR home usage on your account..
2007 Chevrolet 3500 CC/LB Duramax/Dually 4X4 Mine r4tech, Reese Signature Series 18k +slider, duratrac, Titan 62 gallon, diamond eye, Cheetah 64
2011 Keystone Fusion 405 TrailAir & Triglide, Centerpoint, gen-turi, 3 PVX-840T, XANTREX FREEDOM SW3012, G614