cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can someone explain Garmin GPS model names?

mcewena
Explorer
Explorer
I was sniffing around for a new GPS mostly to try and determine what the standard price point was so I could spot a deal later. A day or so later Amazons algorithm sends me an email. There are literally 5 different 6" Garmin GPSs all with lifetime maps, 5 with traffic, all different prices. No apparent rhyme or reason to the model names/numbers that I can fathom. Is a "drive smart" more helpful then a "drive assist", surely they're both more advanced than a "drive"???

Is there a model name/number logic I haven't discovered?

thanks,
6 REPLIES 6

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
mcewena wrote:
Yeah the models Amazon flogs aren't always the ones the vendors expect.

Yes a number for size and letter for features make sense, I just didn't want to navigate thru meaningless marketting like drive, drive assist, drive smart, Driveluxe and Nuvi 😉

The link you were given goes to the in-house "store" at Garmin and shows their current automotive navigation devices. The Garmin lineup has been greatly simplified recently, so a lot of what is out there retail is obsolete, from Garmin's point of view.

Those marketing names are not meaningless, they are used to distinguish models with different features. The Garmin website explains each model in great detail. Folks selling on Amazon or E-Bay assume you have already done this research and know which model you want.

For automotive use, you probably don't want a Nuvi. The Nuvi was originally marketed to replace the GPSMap line more than a decade ago, as a smaller portable device to be used either in a vehicle or carried in a pocket for walkaround navigation. But then market demand for bigger screens made even the smallest Nuvi too big for walking around, and smart phone navigation filled that function.

I also would not buy anything that is not current, as support will become limited when technologies change. My oldest Garmin, a GPSMap 60-series, loads maps from a computer using a RS-232 serial port, with an application no longer available. How long has it been since computers have had that port? For my Nuvi, I have to buy maps on a microSD card, or download through a computer using USB. More recent models go directly to Garmin by wifi.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

RasMouSein
Explorer
Explorer
Me i'm wayting for the new model. coming in a few week.
d?zlCam™ 785 LMT-S

https://buy.garmin.com/en-CA/CA/p/589530/pn/010-01856-00#
It's a hobby for me to make things better!
See I was able to post using full words!!
Have a nice day 🙂
2017 KZ, Sportsmen Classic 181BHS. 430Amp-h, Trimetric, 2kw Honda, Iota DLS-55_IQ4

mcewena
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah the models Amazon flogs aren't always the ones the vendors expect.

Yes a number for size and letter for features make sense, I just didn't want to navigate thru meaningless marketting like drive, drive assist, drive smart, Driveluxe and Nuvi 😉

RasMouSein
Explorer
Explorer
looking at there website.
4 5", 1 6" and 1 7".
Maybe your are seing past model.

Driveassist as a built-in cam
DriveLuxe is the top one

New one finish with 51 or 61 it seems, And LMT-S Lifetime Map Traffic, and S stand for live traffic and weather
It's a hobby for me to make things better!
See I was able to post using full words!!
Have a nice day 🙂
2017 KZ, Sportsmen Classic 181BHS. 430Amp-h, Trimetric, 2kw Honda, Iota DLS-55_IQ4

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
This site will allow you to pick models and it will compare them.

Hope this helps.

Garmin Compare....LINK

Once you get to the site, click on "COMPARE."
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
None that I have seen. There are a couple, like LTM= life time maps. But otherr than that only Garmin could give you a definitive answer.