cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

CD's to Thumb drive - new car with no CD player

tyoungs
Explorer
Explorer
Just got new car and it has no CD player - apparently Cd's no longer popular enough to be OEM equipmnet(can't even get one if you want one as OEM). Car has aux input and USB port for input as well.
Question is - if I want to copy a CD on to a thumb drive to make the wife happy and able to listen to the music on her CD's, do I have to convert them to another format before putting on thumb drive (like MP3)?? - looking for counsel on "easiest way to transfer existing Cd content to thumb drive.
Tom & Mary plus Lilli the Havanese
2017 Entegra Aspire 44B,
450 Cummins, Spartan K2
HRRVC #106803
2017 Buick Enclave toad:)
RV.NET Rallies attended - 6
18 REPLIES 18

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
others have given you good advice. I just thought I might offer this.

sonora
Explorer
Explorer
If you have blue tooth in your radio then you can connect her phone to the radio and play anything she has on the phone without wires.

AsheGuy
Explorer
Explorer
I used MediaMonkey to put all of our CD collectiionon on one of these by genre. It works great and just stays in the auto's USB port, small enough that it is not at risk of getting damaged. I like to listen in "random" mode.
David & Margaret - 2005 LTV 210B 3S
- Our Blog -

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
As I recall Windows Media Player will let you RIP at least some CD's.. I used to have software that more or less did not care busted the bits out of all forms of copy protection and let me save anything to thumb drives... (I recorded my daughter's performances for her use and had to have that stuff to deal with the recordigns I personally made of her performances)

That said.. This is what I use... I have a "line in" adapter for my radio, this lets me use an external CD player.. Of course I have yet to find an external CD player I liked,, Every blessed oen of 'em was too sensitive to bumps in the road and the like.. not at all like the dash radio in the RV.

BUT... For 50 bucks I got a portable DVD player at Dollar General a couple years back... Dang thing is not even bothered by multiple rail road tracks!!!!

What I'd really like to see in a portable CD player is a gig of buffer.. Put in the CD and it loads the puppy at like 400x playing speed, then returns head to rest.. stopps the motor, and you can play kick ball with the player (inside the ball) and never miss a note.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

ReadyToGo
Explorer
Explorer
What complicated solutions to a simple problem.
The poster says there is an aux connection.
Solution. Any device that uses a head phone can be pluged into the aux connection with a cord that can be bought at any electronic store. So yes you can play CDs, audio tape, 8 track and even phonograph records if you so desire.
Myself, I have converted every thing to MP3s and use that connection for listening.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
What kind of car doesn't have a CD as an option?

salem
Explorer
Explorer
Verizon charges data for it. I have to listen to the oldies though when I do my daily walk.:)

MrWizard
Salem
YES..

unless you have some plan option that specifies streaming music is included
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
If you listen to Pandora, yes you will use your data plan. If you listen to music saved ob your phone you will not use your data plan.
Edit:
Come to think of it, I think T-Mobile does not charge your data plan to stream Pandora or Netflix.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

salem
Explorer
Explorer
If you plug your smart phone directly into the USB and listen to music, such as "Pandora," will you be using data from your phone's plan?

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
bob213 wrote:
This is free and works to convert cd's to mp3
cd ripper

Works for Audio Books also -- however I use a different program. I check out a number of books from the library and rip them to MP3
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

Paul_G_
Explorer
Explorer
What to do about audio books on CD?

Paul...

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
This is free and works to convert cd's to mp3
cd ripper
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

MrWizard
YEP
rip the CD 'wave' files to the PC and convert to mp3 files
put those on a USB thumb drive

all of Dw's music has been converted to mp3 and loaded onto her android tablet,
a 10 inch Lenovo

she also has a bunch of old country music TV shows and video clips some ripped from DVDs we bought most Dl from youtube
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s