cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cell Phone plan with truly unlimited data - no metering

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
Many cell phone plans I know of boast of "unlimited" data, but I've run into exceptions for hot spot use and metered rates after certain limits.

Are there any plans that are truly unlimited and OK for hot spot use without metering?
There is something special about camping in an RV.
34 REPLIES 34

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
My Verizon plan with unlimited bandwidth (about $60/mo) is working flawlessly as I use my phone as a hotspot when the free WiFi at my location gives problems.
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

Jbird
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
Jbird wrote:

I have a 7730L and the Visible site tells me Visible not available???

Did you change the APN to VSBLINTERNET in the admin advanced settings?

No,but I will certainly try. Thanks
36' Mobile Suites,Chev 3500 Duramax

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Jbird wrote:

Did you change the APN to VSBLINTERNET in the admin advanced settings?
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Jbird
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
I've been using the Visible (Verizon) plan for data only for over a year now, much of it with the Visible SIM in first a Verizon 6620L Jetpack and currently a 7730L Jetpack. Visible dropped the 5 Mbps limit some time ago, and while I'm not in the greatest signal area right now, this is what I'm streaming with right now and haven't seen a buffer delay yet:

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
I've been using the Visible (Verizon) plan for data only for over a year now, much of it with the Visible SIM in first a Verizon 6620L Jetpack and currently a 7730L Jetpack. Visible dropped the 5 Mbps limit some time ago, and while I'm not in the greatest signal area right now, this is what I'm streaming with right now and haven't seen a buffer delay yet:

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I keep telling folks why I do not have Verizon.
The inverters of the Cuss-Some-More non service dept
Actually that was one of their parts (GTE) but I was able to get 'em to hop.

Fact: GTE was my parent's 2nd phone company (After they moved from Tekonsha to Union City.. I had to drive into town and use the pay phone to call the trouble desk and chat with 'em. This was Friday evening. The problem was that the switching computer needed it's equivalent of sudo reboot. Well she tells me that they will have a tech out like Tuesday. I said "Of course you are going to discount the bill right" She waffled and I ask for that other number. She said they did not have another number. I said "The Michigan Public Service Comission" and it was working when I got back to the house.

This is one of about half a dozen I have. .
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Jbird
Explorer
Explorer
A further note re Verizon. I recently bought their "unlimited data" plan for my mifi. "Unlimited" of course is limited to 15G useable,followed by soup can technology as a courtesy. When I asked twice,very specifically, whether after 15G I got the soup can or merely lower tower priority as necessary, I was assured,twice, that it was priority,not automatic dial up speed. If ever an outfit was in need of more regulation.......

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
DFord wrote:
FMCA Offers Sprint Unlimited Data Plan

FMCA's Sprint Unlimited Data Plan wrote:

Q: What is my data limit for this plan?

A: The Sprint Mobile Hotspot plan is a truly unlimited data plan with no data cap. Sprint does, however, reserve the right to network manage at any point and this can happen in congested areas from time to time.

I have that device (Sprint MI-Fi) via FMCA and make the following observations

ONE Sprint and T-Mobile (My cell phone provider) have merged.

Davison MI.. Sprint is very slow. T-Mobile very fast
St. Clair. .WOW Sprint is smoking fast. T-Mobile close behind

Elkhart. T-mobile is slow Sprint fast

Middlebury.. T-Mobile "No internet" Sprint.
I ran Speed test. I was reminded of a time when I worked as a MIller.
Someone starting the grinders had shoved the lever the wrong way and the ammeter litterly bent the needle when it slammed into the pin

YUP. slammed the speed meter into the pin it did Fastest connection I have ever seen

Right now I'm using the Sprint.

T-mobile I get so much HOTSPOT then it throttles
And after a bit more on the phone it does priority change (Will slow down FIRST if tower is busy)

But the Sprint-Mi-Fi (And I go over every month till I split the bill) NO throttling ever.. Just some towers are not as good.

AS Sprint and T-Mobile merge technically as well as legally I suspect the differences speed wise to level out and I'll be using the phone on the SPrint device for data.

(There is a reason I do not connect EVERYTHING to the Sprint. It stays "At home" when I'm out and about and my Favorite Radio (it's not really a radio in terminal mode works over the internet) goes with me.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
GordonThree wrote:
Typical double speak. Truly unlimited, reserve the right to "manage"

That's why I left Verizon. My truly unlimited data plan kept getting managed to unusable speeds. Sometimes at very low usage numbers.

This happened to us. When we had Verizon 30G of data, we would use it up at about 26 days, then have to close up shop till the plan renewed. So we went to unlimited. Imagine our surprise when they would send us notices 7 days into our plan that we were at the maximum allowed and would now be throttled to unusable speeds. What? 26 days on one plan and now supposedly a better plan and it was 7 days? I would call in and they told me I had reached my limit on both our mifi and my phone, the only smart phone we had.

So after 25 years, I ditched Verizon and since we now live in Florida, we bought Spectrum. We have an unlimited plan and have never been throttled. Imagine my surprise when I checked my first bill and the usage on my phone was only 2.3G. Hmmmm. Yep, Verizon was lying and playing games with our plan.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

wedgar
Explorer
Explorer
My OTRMobile unit just lost connectivity exactly one month from the last time it lost connectivity. My subscription has 15 more days to go before it renews.

Each time it loses connectivity, you have to chat with their tech support in sessions that average about 60+ minutes.

It would be nice to find a reliable wireless data plan that had reasonable data plans.

Neil_Citro
Explorer
Explorer
If truly unlimited Verizon data is needed, I rent a grandfathered unlimited plan from Mobile Must Haves (used to be livinlite.net). Tethering allowed, no throttling, no prioritization, you get a warning after 1TB used in a month. Not cheap at )150 a month, but if you absolutely need it, itโ€™s great.

https://www.mobilemusthave.com/Unlimited-1000GB-Red-Data-Referral-Program-109-First-Month-150-thereafter_p_27.html
2017 Grand Design Reflection 28BH
2019 Ford F350 SD 6.7L

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
I pay $25 a month for my Visible account, and it's worth that to me. I have several fast unlimited plans that are better though.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
Visible is the closest you will get. It offers unlimited everything including hotspot for $40/month with no added fees or taxes. You can reduce that to $25/month by joining a "Party Pay" plan. Data speed is not capped except for hotspot speed which is capped at 5 Mbs. They do prioritize which means they can reduce speed during heavy traffic on the tower you are connected to. So far this month I've used 205GB of data and have 12 days till the end my cycle.

I've had the plan for 13 months and the service has been great.

https://www.visible.com/
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
DarkSkySeeker wrote:
Are there any plans that are truly unlimited and OK for hot spot use without metering?

No.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs