cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

DirecTV Genie Smart Search and East/West Coast Channels

tkcas01
Explorer
Explorer
I just got done with a chat with DirecTV Support and it seems I am the first to report an issue with the Genie DVR and what they call the "Network Package." For those not familiar, this package is popular for full-timers since they may seldom be in their local zip code and not able to get their local network channels.

While both the east and west coast network channels show up in my Guide, if I use the Smart Search feature, programs on any of these channels will not be included in the search results. It will only search cable channels and the network channel in my "local" zip code.

I can record the east/west network channels if I hit the record button in the Guide, and that is great, but I have long used and liked the Smart Search feature. The technician was going to put in a trouble ticket, so hopefully it will eventually be fixed.

If you are a DirecTV customer with Genie and the Network Package, you may want to see if you are similarly limited. If so, let DirecTV know so maybe the priority will get elevated.
Roaming Full Timer
8 REPLIES 8

Triker33
Explorer
Explorer
I always hate it on a search and you pick a program. After you put it to record the series it may say All Channels. That means if you have internet connection it will/could record on demand.

I have limited data so I have to unhook data to the HR34.
Larry Full Time Since 99
1999 34Q Discovery DP ISB 275HP 6 Speed Allison
VMSpc | Pressure Pro
14 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost Toad

Click here to see where I am

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Logic? If that's what you are hoping for.....Good Luck!
It must have happened in a recent software update as that is not how it used to work.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

tkcas01
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
The software changed. It did not used to be that way but it is what needs to be done now. Maybe your call to DirecTV will get it back to the way it used to be....you know, the right way!

I like things to be RIGHT! Unfortunately causes me much grief on many fronts!

I think I will update my input to DirecTV now that I understand the situation. The current behavior makes NO SENSE logically that I can see.
Roaming Full Timer

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
The software changed. It did not used to be that way but it is what needs to be done now. Maybe your call to DirecTV will get it back to the way it used to be....you know, the right way!
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

tkcas01
Explorer
Explorer
FROM OP

Thanks for the informed responses! I checked again and when I do a Smart Search, the results are initially categorized as "Unsorted Episodes." No E/W DNS channels.

Indeed as mentioned, if I press left arrow to get to the left menu and select "Upcoming Airings," they all show up - cable channel, local and E/W DNS.

What's THAT all about??? :h

Maybe there is some logic to it, but I don't get it. Why two sets of results?

Anyway, thanks for the tip. Maybe I can manage to get it to do what I want...
Roaming Full Timer

aslakson
Explorer
Explorer
On ours, the search includes the East and West distant stations (not that we get both), and also the locals for my "home" market, Rapid City, which I don't get. Most annoying, if you set up to record a found show without specifying a single channel, it will then try to record one of those non-channels and fail, when it could have just as well used a channel we do get. The wife likes figure skating, and the Genie will choose to record some of those events from sports channels we don't get - reruns of shows that originally ran on channels we do get that it chose not to record. Gotta pay attention.

al
Fulltiming since Apr 2007 in 2000 Rexhall Aerbus, towing 2012 Honda CRV. 47 of the lower 48 so far.

Tom_N
Explorer
Explorer
My Genie searches both east and west.

-Tom, W3TLN
Sarver, PA/Crystal River, FL/Shelocta, PA ยท W3TLN ยท FMCA 335149 ยท Mystic Knights of the Sea
2005 Suncruiser 38R ยท W24 chassis, no chassis mods needed ยท 2013 Honda Accord EX-L ยท 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, I thought I would give it a try and as long as you click on the upcoming airing, all of the channels are their including E and W DNS. I tried Judge Judy and the Big Bang Theory and the upcoming broadcasts are all listed. HR24 if that makes a difference.