cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

DirecTV or Dish

Cottontop
Explorer
Explorer
DirecTV has stopped supporting my receiver so I am thinking about going to dish. Give me some feed back on this subject. I can't get DirecTV to send me the new receiver.
1998 Beaver Patriot (Magnum)
FMCA- Good Sam - CAT (3126)
PT Cruiser AUTO with Remco 4down
26 REPLIES 26

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cottontop wrote:
well AT&t set up my new receiver today it is a HR 24 thanks everyone for your input.

Sounds like you stayed with DirecTV. Same happened with us, we just used an extra standard receiver from home for the fifth wheel . It was not a DVR. At home we have the DVR, which we could have taken with us when we traveled, but chose to get an up graded receiver the H24, which is basically the same as what we were using to travel with. It also has no recording ability, but thats not a problem for us.

The problem now is any standard satellite dish is going to be obsolete in the near future, so the Winnegard Dome GM-1518 that we have is going to be just a paper weight . We will have to upgrade to a HD dish at some point. HD was never an issue in the fifth wheel the TV we have in there is older ,and not HD. It just keeps going, so we never seen the need to replace it ,just for the sake of HD.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cottontop wrote:
well AT&t set up my new receiver today it is a HR 24 thanks everyone for your input.

Excellent! Glad to hear it worked out well.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Cottontop
Explorer
Explorer

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Satellite TV is not a waste for me. Too many times I have no cellular service making streaming completely useless. I would also have to subscribe to multiple streaming services to watch what I like to watch (NOT FREE). Satellite TV allows me to have my DVR waiting to record 24/7 and I can watch what I want without the commercials when I please. Nearly all of the free streaming services also have commercials and there is no fast forward or commercial skip options with those.

Spot on.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Nearly all of the free streaming services also have commercials and there is no fast forward or commercial skip options with those.
Yep. You get what you pay for. There's no way I'm sitting through commercials.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Satellite TV is not a waste for me. Too many times I have no cellular service making streaming completely useless. I would also have to subscribe to multiple streaming services to watch what I like to watch (NOT FREE). Satellite TV allows me to have my DVR waiting to record 24/7 and I can watch what I want without the commercials when I please. Nearly all of the free streaming services also have commercials and there is no fast forward or commercial skip options with those.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:

Sometime it makes sense. We are currently in Athens, GA and there is no "English" OTA TV available so I can't watch the local news. I found an Atlanta ABC app on my Firestick and I stream the morning and evening news for a 1/2 hour and then switch back to satellite.
Free streaming of a limited amount will keep your limited unlimited data happy. timmac has a truly unlimited plan and pays well for the streaming services he use so free is never free!

But it is free, in todays world we need internet, its like water you have to have it, so while you have internet might as well and go streaming to save those dollars that you would waste on satellite tv..

:C

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Cottontop wrote:
OP is not gone i have read everthing that has been posted and i want to thank everyone for their input.
I guess you missed my question.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
timmac wrote:
Cottontop wrote:
DirecTV has stopped supporting my receiver so I am thinking about going to dish. Give me some feed back on this subject. I can't get DirecTV to send me the new receiver.

Go streaming and junk the satellite dish..

satellite bill approves this message..

:C:p

Sometime it makes sense. We are currently in Athens, GA and there is no "English" OTA TV available so I can't watch the local news. I found an Atlanta ABC app on my Firestick and I stream the morning and evening news for a 1/2 hour and then switch back to satellite.
Free streaming of a limited amount will keep your limited unlimited data happy. timmac has a truly unlimited plan and pays well for the streaming services he use so free is never free!

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Cottontop wrote:

Go streaming and junk the satellite dish..

satellite bill approves this message..

:C:p

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
haddy1 wrote:
Perhaps one of you Dish users can confirm that Dish Anywhere will allow me to see anything on my home DVR from any location. That is to say that if I am in Florida, I can watch something recorded on my DVR in Missouri as long as I have an internet connection.

Yes you can. However, both your home DVR (aka a Hopper) and your RV iPad or whatever must be connected to fast Internet connections . . . and this connection with burn up a ton of data.

BTW, when your home Hopper and your receiving device are both on the same WiFi network, then no broadband data is used.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
haddy1 wrote:
Perhaps one of you Dish users can confirm that Dish Anywhere will allow me to see anything on my home DVR from any location. That is to say that if I am in Florida, I can watch something recorded on my DVR in Missouri as long as I have an internet connection.

That feature might be worth giving up NFL Sunday Ticket.

Until a few minutes ago I was sitting in our motorhome just over the Florida line St Marys, GA watching the local news from the Hopper w/Sling at our upstate NY family cottage with DishAnywhere on our FireTVstick. When the national news came on, I switched to the Hopper w/Sling in the motorhome and the Jacksonville, FL locals. Because we're getting the locals here, our NY Hopper does not get the sat locals at all, only getting the NY locals OTA. Other than that, we can watch anything on the NY Hopper just as if we were there. When we're on the road between parks, we frequently have the NY Hopper record programs so we can view them later with DishAnywhere.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Cottontop
Explorer
Explorer
OP is not gone i have read everthing that has been posted and i want to thank everyone for there input.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
OP is gone