cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Evolving USB power

landyacht318
Explorer
Explorer
I've no devices which can draw more than 1 Amp through a USB port, never the less my several outlets can handle 2.1a or 3.1a total.

My favorite USB source is my Blue Seas:

https://www.bluesea.com/products/1016/Dual_USB_Charger_Socket

It maintains 5.09v under a 1 amp load, where as my other sources fall below 5v. This source and a short Micro USB cable can recharge my Samsung galaxy S4 mini phone noticeably faster than any other USb source I have.

It has a 15mA parasitic draw.

I just Noticed that Blueseas has a new version out available in January 2016, capable of 4.1 amps, and it only has a 1mA parasitic draw.

https://www.bluesea.com/products/1045/Dual_USB_Charger_-_Socket_Mount

I've not kept up with USB 3.0 or how much amperage newer devices can demand. I really like BlueSeas products and would certainly get this, if I required it, but I have 8 different USB options now and only 2 devices which require USB to charge.

But some on here might be more latest and greatest gadget savvy than myself and find the second link to be interesting.

Or perhaps want to talk about and inform us Neophytes where the USB standard is likely to go in the future
32 REPLIES 32

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
TheBearAK wrote:
Don't know about other phones, but Apple's charger for the iPhone is 1A. In my experience (going on 4th battery), charging it with a larger charger can charge it up quicker, but will reduce overall battery life.

For example, charging it with the iPad charger (2.1 amp) can charge it quicker, but the battery gets noticeably warm and warm/hot=bad. It also seems to not last as long per charge.

I would guess this would go for any lithium rechargeable battery.
Ive not seen that at all. The regulator should be in the phone and not dependent on its power source since the designer has no clue what the USB current source is. The only time mine warms up is when charging with WAZE and my NAVIGON app running
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
First you need to resize your pix.
I plugged in my iPhone 6 with a purposefully drained battery to around 40%. Plugging into my less than awesome Ford Sync port, the BEST current I saw out of that USB Jack was 440ma. Turned on the GPS and there was no change in current draw. After a few minutes the current settled back to around 350ma and stabilized there. That's Ford, not the phone because I've seen it run at 1500ma+. Starting at 40% with WAZE and all my normal push services on, at the end of my ~90min trip, the iPhone was now showing 36%.

Backwards......
Jeff - WA6EQU

itguy08
Explorer
Explorer
SCVJeff wrote:
I hate to disappoint and frankly this isn't hardly worth the response, but Apple hasn't provided anything less than a 1A charger in years, if ever. Second, you need to invest in a good USB current meter and prove yourself wrong. I have a 1A charger (measured) and can easily rail it out running a constant on GPS on my 6, which is exactly why I'm now running dual 2.1 outputs. So do a little homework and quit knocking others toys unless you can back it up.

So then explain this using an iPhone 6+:

First pic was as I got into the car. Connected to the USB port in my 2010 Ford's Sync system (by all accounts a SLOW charger). Fired up Waze for the ride home and navigated. Second pic was when I pulled into the driveway.

So either the USB port in my Ford is awesome (doubtful as the charge time is slow) or you are wrong. My previous iPhone 4s showed similar traits.

With my Galaxy S5 plugged into the Ford port it would either hold steady (few times) or decrease in charge.

image resized

TheBearAK
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know about other phones, but Apple's charger for the iPhone is 1A. In my experience (going on 4th battery), charging it with a larger charger can charge it up quicker, but will reduce overall battery life.

For example, charging it with the iPad charger (2.1 amp) can charge it quicker, but the battery gets noticeably warm and warm/hot=bad. It also seems to not last as long per charge.

I would guess this would go for any lithium rechargeable battery.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
smkettner wrote:
Gulfcoast wrote:
dual 2.4A EACH OUT

What's the brand or part # or place to buy one? Need it in 12 volt Thanks

Two port 4.8a

I bought one of the above for the RV, and 2 of the below for when travelling without the RV.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VKLCB50?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
Oh sure, now I have girly batteries........LOL.

They work, they liked to be sucked off daily by your phone, and it's not insulting to you, the user of whatever brand of smart phone is in your pocket, or pocket protector, for the nerds among us.

What's not to like, everyone gets a happy ending?

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
itguy08 wrote:
SCVJeff wrote:
Dont worry about his comment, he not only hasn't a clue what he's talking about, but his comments about consumption has absolutely nothing to do with charging current requirements of ANY device.

Uhh, yes. If the phone uses more current than the charger provides it will drain your battery. So if you're lighting up the screen, forcing that CPU to work hard and plug into a 500ma charger you will drain your battery. Plug it into something that provides more than the phone uses and it will charge.

I can say that my GS5 would drain plugged into the Ford's Sync socket (IITC its 1A) while navigating. My iPhone plugged into the same socket will slowly charge while navigating.
I hate to disappoint and frankly this isn't hardly worth the response, but Apple hasn't provided anything less than a 1A charger in years, if ever. Second, you need to invest in a good USB current meter and prove yourself wrong. I have a 1A charger (measured) and can easily rail it out running a constant on GPS on my 6, which is exactly why I'm now running dual 2.1 outputs. So do a little homework and quit knocking others toys unless you can back it up.
Jeff - WA6EQU

Dick_A
Explorer
Explorer
Moved from Tech Issues forum.
2009 Tiffin 43QBP Allegro Bus
RoadMaster Sterling Tow Bar
US Gear UTB
Ford Explorer Sport Toad
WA7MXP
"Pisqually" the attack kitty :B

pconroy328
Explorer
Explorer
I have both Apples and Androids. My S5 has been flawless.

pkunk
Explorer
Explorer
I have several of these and they are AWESOME!
smkettner wrote:
Gulfcoast wrote:
dual 2.4A EACH OUT

What's the brand or part # or place to buy one? Need it in 12 volt Thanks

Two port 4.8a

Three port 6.6 amp

Four port 9.6 amps
1999 Coachman Mirada 34 ft.V10-F53 chassis
12ft.LR slide-2 gp31 AGM 12V @220AH

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
I hope people keep buying Apple smart phone products, so my stock value will get up above $134 or more a share, again. If you enjoy it, buy it, Apple products.

itguy08
Explorer
Explorer
SCVJeff wrote:
Dont worry about his comment, he not only hasn't a clue what he's talking about, but his comments about consumption has absolutely nothing to do with charging current requirements of ANY device.

Uhh, yes. If the phone uses more current than the charger provides it will drain your battery. So if you're lighting up the screen, forcing that CPU to work hard and plug into a 500ma charger you will drain your battery. Plug it into something that provides more than the phone uses and it will charge.

I can say that my GS5 would drain plugged into the Ford's Sync socket (IITC its 1A) while navigating. My iPhone plugged into the same socket will slowly charge while navigating.

itguy08
Explorer
Explorer
NinerBikes wrote:

Gee, thanks for calling my, and a bunch of other peoples "phones" junk.

Your phones sucked juice like a drunken sailor because you didn't update your apps within a week or two, after every time you got an OTA update of your operating system... which is the phone companies way of making a clueless individuals phone perform poorly, right before a new model phone comes out, to get you to update and be a new adopter.

Well, the truth sometimes hurts. The GS5 was a piece of junk. Endless reboots, phantom power consumption and features that just didn't work. Same as my previous Android phone and par for the course with Android. Pretty much like that from day 1 but I suck with it. If that causes a little butt-hurt than so be it.

And, yes I did keep my apps and OS updated. It's more important with Android since they barely get updates and have tons of security holes. Took Samsung 5 or so months to get the GS5 up to Lollipop and even that update was abysmal. Penny of threads over at Android Central about poor battery life, crashing apps, and just a general junk experience.

Android as a platform had great promise. Sadly it's a POS. When I purchased my iPhone, even the salesman at the AT&T store who was an Android user said many people were complaining about Lollipop and he was also having issues. So yeah, Junk.

You're now on ignore. A new first.

Not that you will see it but why would I care? Ignore all you want if you can't take the truth.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Me? Dumb about this stuff? Har Har Har.

I'm so busy eliminating uninvited garbage off Niners S2 My stamping out of small fires could be mistaken for Irish River Dancing. My thoughts: It's a computer with a battery 1/100th the size of a laptop battery. Waddaya expect?