cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Garmin 890 GPS unit ?

53_willys
Explorer
Explorer
we are looking to buy a Garmin 890 RV GPS unit do you have one or something close you recommend ? all suggestions will be appreciated.
7 REPLIES 7

dmctlc
Explorer
Explorer
I ended up picking up a RV1090 and have no regrets. it has a large 10" screen and I installed it on the dash so not only I but the DW can see it as well. This helps when I'm in busy traffic and need her to assure I'm on the right path especially when exiting.
Dana & wife Terri
Daughter - Stephanie
Granddaughter - Callie (9 y/o)
Son - Phillip
Granddaughter - Charlotte (1 1/2 y/o)
American Cocker Spaniel- Shadow
2018 Georgetown Series 5 GT5 31L5

FunTwoDrv
Explorer
Explorer
We've been using the 890 for about a year. It has performed as expected and offers considerable features.

Gary

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
I have the 890 in a F150. I love the large size & that it shows far more of what is along side your route than the smaller displays. Since it is an Android tablet with built in WiFi modified by Garmin, you don't need a computer to update the maps or operating system.

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
The 890 is great for programing as it's attached to the base by a magnet just pop it off, program it and it snaps back into place as it gets close to the base. Good for when driving and the copilot wants or needs to input a change.
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

lap527
Explorer
Explorer
We like the Garmin DriveSmart. I am not sure of the model but I like being able to talk to it and it has lifetime updates and bluetooth.
2006 Dodge 3500 dually 4X4 / 2013 Livin Lite 10.0 TC /Torklift talons, fastguns, stableloads, superhitch, and truss/ towing a
14'V Nose Trailer when needed.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
53Willys,

I would love to tell you more, but I bought my wife (she like to drive the coach) the 890 for Christmas. She has wanted a bigger screen for a while, but the GPS we had was to new to abandon. We live in Michigan and the coach does not go over the salted roads.

Like RLW, we use the Garmin for enroute navigation and something else to keep tabs on the road ahead and then the navigator (me) is usually working a laptop on line if we can get it to look for interesting stops up ahead.

I imagine that this season will still be like the others. During the End of Day stop, I will load the next days expected route into the driver's unit and continue to look for points of interest to us.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

rlw999
Explorer
Explorer
I've been pretty happy with our Garmin 780, I think Garmin's user interface is better than Android Auto for navigating on the road (like for looking up upcoming gas stations, restaurants, etc). But traffic routing is far better on Android Auto, even with the Garmin paired to my phone for live traffic. So I run both -- use the Garmin primarily, but I also keep an eye on my phone to see if it's warning about traffic.

The Garmin 780 is about $100 cheaper than the 890 on Amazon, and the only difference I can see between them is that the 890 has a slightly bigger screen.