cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hooking up a 12V 3A TV in my TT

esox07
Explorer
Explorer
I just acquired a 24" LED TV that runs on 12V 3A power. It doesn't have the AC power cord/adapter with it. But, since it is a 12V TV, can I run it straight off the 12V system in the camper? Or do I need to throttle down the amperage being delivered to it to 3amps? I figure since it is already a 12V TV, why buy an AC adapter for it if my camper already has 12V.

Let me know the best way to hook this up in my camper.
Thanks,
Bruce
Minnesota Viking fan trapped in Wisconsin
2011 KZ Sportsmen Classic 19BH
2013 Chevy Silverado 1500, Ext Cab, 5.3L Z71, 4x4
Boliy 3600si
AAA Plus RV
24 REPLIES 24

esox07
Explorer
Explorer
wopachop: Yah, maybe you are right. I have small inverter that I have used before and it did a great job. It didn't seem to drain much power from the battery over a two night boondock trip.
Thanks,
Bruce
Boliy 3600si
AAA Plus RV

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
My trailer came with a 12v tv and I figured I would do the same since we boondock mostly. Even have a box of 5.5mm bullets from other hobbies. Same with male cig adapter plugs I have several laying around. Could have built a connector in minutes but never did.

Ended up getting a small 120v inverter. Needed one anyway to charge laptops and such.

My 12v tv has a horrible picture. If ever time to replace I would get a regular household 120v only model. Got to think its overall a better value. Higher quality TV at a lower cost.

esox07
Explorer
Explorer
Yah, I started this thread and the free TV I had didn't work out, but I thinking I will look for a new one that does work and is designed to run on 12V. Right now, I have it on a removeable mount and transfer the bedroom TV back and forth. It would be nice to have one that I don't have to keep transfering.
Can someone recommend a 24", 12v TV. I don't need a real fancy one, just a decent HD flat screen. Even 720P would be OK. Price is a consideration.
Boliy 3600si
AAA Plus RV

docsouce
Explorer II
Explorer II
2x with Turn The Page`s post. I have the exact set up working off he cab cigar lighter accessory outlet. Been 4 years now and all is well. Honestly, with the ride my RV subjects this TV to, I thought it would have failed long ago. In fact we are sitting in our RV in a campground, in Gordonville Pa and DW is watching the TV as I write this post!!!
2020 JAYCO 26XD
Just right for the two of us!

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
cavie wrote:
center pin is Positive.

Not always,.....Some Suzuki stuff is center neg I know.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
At least a decade ago, I bought a (I think it was the Bestbuy "Insignia" brand) 24" 12v TV that came with a typical power brick. I modified the power cord like you intend to do, and it's been plugged into that cigar lighter adapter for years now and continues to work fine under wide variety of temperatures and voltage conditions. Just be careful with the polarity.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

esox07
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks DE Bishop. I have one of those adapters on order. The TV was free, so if it takes a dump, Oh well.
Boliy 3600si
AAA Plus RV

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
DownTheAvenue wrote:
Televisions, and many other electric products as well, are manufactured to operate on 12 volts. That way, they can be marketed worldwide by supplying different adapters to fit the many different voltages and plug types. With that in mind, the television was designed to receive a specific, constant voltage, not a range supplied from a 12 volt battery. Your plan may not work, but come back and let us know.

I'm kind of new of this RVing thing, our first was a 1990 Bounder bought in 1998 and now a 2002 Winnie, both came with CRT televisions. I threw out the ones in the Bounder and someone else trashed the ones in the Winnie. I haven't really felt any stress out of converting to 12 VDC sets and throwing the wall warts in the junk drawer in my garage. All four sets have run off the cigar lighter type plugs with internal fuses and no problems so far. Same for the DVD and BluRay players.

I think there is too much importance given to absolutely even, clean and regulated power in our homes that ride on rubber. It is not rocket science, it is pretty simple and short of that TV set that is a 56" OLED set that only costs $50 new and the stuff that is sold commercially. The USA is the only country in the world that is so uptight about the power to our homes being perfect, therefore, most manufacturers make allowances for slight variations and fluctuations in power.

I kind of like my Insignia branded electronics and have not made any super allowances in hooking the electronics up to the 12 VDC battery power in my rigs. Tight connections the entire way and proper fuses. West Marine brands of 12 v power outlets, plugs and Buss little fuses. K.I.S.S.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
Televisions, and many other electric products as well, are manufactured to operate on 12 volts. That way, they can be marketed worldwide by supplying different adapters to fit the many different voltages and plug types. With that in mind, the television was designed to receive a specific, constant voltage, not a range supplied from a 12 volt battery. Your plan may not work, but come back and let us know.

esox07
Explorer
Explorer
I just ordered this: I will let you know if it works.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071ZH5FHP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Boliy 3600si
AAA Plus RV

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
esox07 wrote:
Or do I need to throttle down the amperage being delivered to it to 3amps? I figure since it is already a 12V TV, why buy an AC adapter for it if my camper already has 12V.

Let me know the best way to hook this up in my camper.
Thanks,
Bruce

Let me ask.. if you want water to flow at say 1/2 gallon per minute but your pump puts out 2.5 GPM do you "Throttle the pump"?

NO. the faucet is only opened part way

There is no need to "Throttle" The amperage. the TV (like the faucet) does it automatically.. The only issue would be if you tried to run the 3 amp TV off a 2 Amp Power supply. That won't work.

Now some folks worry about the fact the RV's electrical system is really 13.6 to 14.6 but 12+2.4 (That's 20%) is 14.4 And that's the tolerance on most of that stuff. Odds are the OEM wall wart is going to hit 15 volts no load.

Have done it in the past. Do not currently but that's due to not having the proper power cord. if the wall wart or power brick on my 12 volt TV ever goes bad I'll cut. and tie into the 12 volt system.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
center pin is Positive.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

esox07
Explorer
Explorer
I am thinking I can just find a car adapter with a plug the size for TV on the other end. I think it is the 5.5mm x 2.1mm plug.
12V 3A car adapter
I really don't want to try to use customer service if at all possible. My patience doesn't allow it and I don't speak very good Taiwanese.
Boliy 3600si
AAA Plus RV

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
wish there was an ez way. you might try calling Insignia tech support in the morning and asking.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle