cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Iphone vs separate hotspot box

Housted
Explorer III
Explorer III
We have been useing my iPhone for a hot spot to stream tv when the CG wifi is not sufficient. Does any one have info on useing a Hot Spot box instead. Just spent a month on the road and needed it several times.
Thanks in advance !!

Housted
2019 Forrest River Forrester 3051S 2014 Honda CRV toad.
1000 W Solar, converted to 50 amp
400 Amps of LiFePO4,3000 Watt Inverter, Refer converted with JC refrigeration unit, Sofa replaced with 2 swivel chairs, over cab bed converted to TV mount and storage
7 REPLIES 7

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
If you get a hotspot, (cellular modem) get one from a different carrier than your phone

That way one of them might have a useable signal.

Great advice !

I might also add, buy a cell phone that can make calls over the internet not just to a cell tower.

IMHO, if you are going to invest in a "hotspot"/cellular modem, get one that mount on the roof. That extra 5'-6' of height might be all that is required to make a connection.

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
MrWizard wrote:
service aka signal access has more to do with the carrier you have , not whether it is your iPhone or a Wi-Fi hotspot

If you get a hotspot, get one from a different carrier than your phone

That way one of them might have a useable signal

Most of us have at least 2 devices with different mobile phone carriers

I have AT&T for my hotspot, and Verizon for my phone

This is exactly how we do it, and it works very well.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
We have both AT&T and Verizon hotspots, along with Tracfone/Verizon phones with hotspot capability. The big advantage for us with our hotspots is that we can connect them to our roof mounted MIMO antennas for increased signal strength. One MIMO pair is omni-directional, while the other pair is directional using our crank up OTA batwing antenna. We've found that the directional MIMO pair often gives us a better signal than we can get with our cell amplifier/repeater. As said, one hotspot often works better than the other in various locations.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have both an Android phone and a hotspot. One on each of TWO different cell services.. Sometimes one of them is FAST (Phone is currently over 100Mbps) sometimes slow... The phone also does Wi-Fi Pass through
The Box tested this AM at about 25Mbps. (There are other differences as well like the box is a TRULY unlimited plan).

But which one I use depends on relative speed 25 is fast enough so I use the 100% Unlimited box.. but in another place the box is down to 1-2 Mbps and the phone is around 80 So guess what I use.

That is how I would recommend. Have both but use whichever works best.

NOTE: in one place the phone was 0.. I mean NO SIGNAL and the box broke 100Mbps

THe box is 50/month via FMCA Tech Connect in my case Truly Unlimited SPRINT
The phone.. is T-Mobile.. and the funny thing is they just merged.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
We each have phone hotspot, one T-Mobile, one Verizon. Very seldom do we have no signal on either one. Occasionally, we might have one not, and one works. Last trip out cross-country, we only missed a signal when camping in very outlying areas, and then we both had no signal.

I think phone hotspot and separate WIFI unit will get same signal if from same company. Before smart phones, we had separate unit, then one phone and one WIFI unit, and we saw almost no different between the two.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

MrWizard
service aka signal access has more to do with the carrier you have , not whether it is your iPhone or a Wi-Fi hotspot

If you get a hotspot, get one from a different carrier than your phone

That way one of them might have a useable signal

Most of us have at least 2 devices with different mobile phone carriers

I have AT&T for my hotspot, and Verizon for my phone
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
Either will do the job under most circumstances. Some Jetpacks (cell modems) will get better reception, One plus for the separate modem - if you only have one phone and use it for the internet, when it is away from the RV, who ever is still there has no internet service.