cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Map App for Phone...?

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
Disclaimer: I am a luddite and am reluctantly giving up my trusty flip phone soon.

I have an entry level Samsung phone for work and am learning the ins & outs. Will be traveling soon and want to download a map app. One that I can put in a destination and get instruction and route recommendations.

Which one do folks like? G-maps? Waze? Other app?
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.
25 REPLIES 25

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Waze. Easier to use. Won't take you in circles.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I've navigated all over the US with Google Maps.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
It appears that you need to enable Google maps. Page 118 of user manual. Best way is to take phone to AT&T store and let them show you how.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use google. Easy to find your route at home on the big screen and send a text to the phone to give you the turn by turn, traffic, arrival time.

Sailingnuts
Explorer
Explorer
Waze is owned by Google. Both use the same technology. GMaps nowadays is very similar to Waze without the social aspect.
All the best,
RVingnuts
2022 Tiffin Phaeton 40IH Cummins ISL9 450 HP
2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude

Ed_Gee
Explorer
Explorer
Google Maps is likely the leader in good general maps, with lots of good search features. If you are primarily interested in road and traffic issues, then also get Waze for that.
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
By "entry level" I meant low cost... I have a Samsung J2 Shine model, it was $50 as part of ATT prepaid plan.

If there is a pre-loaded map app I am not seeing or finding it.

As far as what I am looking for would perhaps be ease of use on a smaller screen of a phone.

I am used to using G-maps on my laptop & docking station with two 24" monitors. Whenever I need a map, I am old school by looking up on my computer and drawing/noting/printing the location for my needs.

With a phone, I am trying to get up to speed with technology. Right now, I go to the phone browser and access Gmaps same as how I would do it on my computer... it works, but am wondering if an app would be more appropriate.
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Waze.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Google maps is free. What type of mapping are you looking for?
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
What is an entry level phone. Most entry level smart phones have a map app as part of their standard apps. Are you sure you don't have one?

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
d3500ram wrote:
Disclaimer: I am a luddite and am reluctantly giving up my trusty flip phone soon.

I have an entry level Samsung phone for work and am learning the ins & outs. Will be traveling soon and want to download a map app. One that I can put in a destination and get instruction and route recommendations.

Which one do folks like? G-maps? Waze? Other app?

either will meet your needs.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle