cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Microsoft Outlook

DD716TED
Explorer
Explorer
Here I am, back at the "Technology Corner" to get an answer that no one else seems to have.. I currently use MS Office 2010 (Military Version) that came without Outlook.. I realize that 2010 will no longer be supported after October but will still use it..QUESTION: If I purchase a stand alone version of MS outlook with a date other than 2010, will it still work with the 2010 MS Office that is already installed? Nothing is simple anymore with MS.. Thanks and stay safe whereever you travel..
23 REPLIES 23

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:
theoldwizard1 wrote:
Can you explain how you DO use email ?
Gmail. Read some, keep some, delete most. Not sure what else there is to it.

I use Outlook for exactly the same thing, but my emails are local to my hard drive, and accessible when I have no internet connection. That is most of the time that I am camping.

If I want it BOTH local on the hard drive AND on the GMAIL server, I let Outlook download it and delete it from the server. Then I log onto the server and move it from TRASH to INBOX (or other folder). Outlook will neither download nor delete it again.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

If you happen to work for an organization that has an MS Office 365 enterprise license, it may entitle you to download/install the full Office 2019 suite to your personal PCs (WIN/MAC) for free. My office allows 10 personal installs on our own devices.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
Gmail. Read some, keep some, delete most. Not sure what else there is to it.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
RobWNY wrote:
Microsoft, like most other software companies have moved to a subscription based service. I have Office 365 and it does include Outlook and cost $99/year plus tax. Like I posted earlier, I use Thunderbird for email but I use it for MS Word, Powerpoint and Excel.

Switch to LibreOffice !

Unless you have a lot of complex Excel macros, if will work fine. Admittedly, the icons are different and may be in a different place, so you might have to pause for a second and think, "What am I trying to do ?", instead of looking for a specific icon in a specific place.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Ok thanks. I don't use email in the ways described here so I have no need for something like that.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
2oldman wrote:
And why you're hanging on to old software?

Nothing wrong with old software.

I am still using MS Office 2003 and Windows 7 on two of my PCs
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo wrote:
2oldman wrote:
Outlook is an email client. Can you explain a bit why you need that? And why you're hanging on to old software?

Some of us like Outlook. I used Office 2003 until I bought Office 2016. (That is when DW's computer died and she FINALLY had to go to Windows 10. Windows 10 would not run Office 2003. Otherwise, I would still be using it.)

Office 2007 will run on Win10. using only Word, Excel and Outlook. the biggest issue i had was ridding the POS Outlook 365 from the PC. i'm not a big fan of storing some files in the cloud and that includes my email. i know and love MS Outlook. as i wrote before we have 10 or so email addys for various purposes all of which are filtered and sorted by 300+ rules into numerous folders.

i had to make the switch to Win10 when our Win7 laptop died about a year ago. took a while but i now have it running and looking like legacy windows thanks to the Classic Shell. gonna be doing the same thing with our Win7 desktop later this fall. not looking forward to it.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:
Outlook is an email client. Can you explain a bit why you need that? And why you're hanging on to old software?

Some of us like Outlook. I used Office 2003 until I bought Office 2016. (That is when DW's computer died and she FINALLY had to go to Windows 10. Windows 10 would not run Office 2003. Otherwise, I would still be using it.)
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Taxman2436
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure what your savings are but I have the full version of Microsoft Office with Outlook. I get no discounts on anything. I upgrade the whole package when they stop supporting it and everything has always worked as expected. As others have pointed out email and calendar as well as tasks synch with my phone. No set up anymore. Is whatever you are saving worth the aggravation?

Lenny
Taxman2436
Sturbridge, MA
2022 Ford F350 6.7L Diesel
2023 Grand Design Reflection 320 MKS

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
DD716TED wrote:
OP replying.. I use Thunderbird now but keep having problems with it.. Always crashes..

In 15+ years of using Thunderbird I don't recall it ever crashing ! There are online forums for support.

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
Microsoft, like most other software companies have moved to a subscription based service. I have Office 365 and it does include Outlook and cost $99/year plus tax. Like I posted earlier, I use Thunderbird for email but I use it for MS Word, Powerpoint and Excel.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think you'll be able to buy a legitimate copy of stand alone Outlook.

No doubt there are stolen / gray market codes for sale, but those are a **** shoot, a ticking time bomb as to when the code will stop working.

I'd look at Thunderbird as other posters have suggested, or look at the basic tiers for a Microsoft 365 subscription, which will include Outlook.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Ok thanks. I don't use email in the ways described here so I have no need for something like that.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
I switched to Thunderbird years ago and there are other free versions.

I have been using Thunderbird for well over 15 years. Very stable. Very few if any changes to the user interface. Very good HTML editor.

I use it with Gmail as my server, but I have set it up to work with multiple other email providers.

One of the best features is that you CAN make local folders for thing you want stored on your PC, inculding your DRAFTS folder. Moving mail between the server and the local folders is seamless. I have even used Thunderbird to move mail/folders between two different servers !