cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Millenicom increased to $89/month for 20GB

louiskathy
Explorer
Explorer
I called the billing dept at Millenicom and THEY were just finding out about their increase to $89 starting next month.
BUMMER!!! and this is NOT an April Fool's joke. This is straight up.

Well, such is life. For right now, it's still the best deal I know of for 20GB a month.

I just happened to pick today to reactivate my account... It's $69 for April and then May 1st it's going to be $89.00 It's strictly a rate increase for the same amount of 3G/4G data.

There is no "grandfathering" here because there are no contracts. It's an increase for all 20GB month to month customers.
Kathy
17 REPLIES 17

was_butnotnow
Explorer
Explorer
dons2346 wrote:
LostinAZ wrote:
How about mobile Satellite as an option?

If you think 90 bux a month for 20GB wireless is expensive, just wait till you get a satellite bill for 20GB

I have a Datastorm F1 Internet Satellite Dish on top of my RV and I get 450 Mg on a rolling basis. What this means is when I use it it drains the bucket but as soon as I stop or pause the bucket starts to fill up again. So in reality I get much more than 450 M a day. In the middle of the night I get unlimited usage for big downloads, etc. So for about $80 a month I get much more than 20 G. Sure not as fast as wireless but I don't need to be in cell range to use it which makes it priceless to me. My speed is about 1.5 M down. These systems are now grandfathered as Datastorm is no longer in buseness. But parts are available since people are moving away form this medium. So for me I can stockpile parts and keep using it.
And when I am under a tree I still have a grandfathered Verizon unlimited data plan on my Droid.
Now in a 05 Monaco Cayman DP 36 PDQ
Traveled many years in NuWa Hitchhiker 5th wheels.
Travel Journals and Adventures of people living this lifestyle

Hitchitch.com

Personal blog with our own travels. www.fulltime.hitchitch.com

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
LostinAZ wrote:

If you think 90 bux a month for 20GB wireless is expensive, just wait till you get a satellite bill for 20GB

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Millenicon had no idea that Verizon changed their product (wink wink). Isn't it their business to know what they are selling/reselling? Do you really believe that Verizon didn't inform their resellers of policy changes or limitations? Poor Millenicom, bad Verizon.

LostinAZ
Explorer
Explorer

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
This to me is the most important paragraph from the above link........

Itโ€™s still a lot cheaper than going direct with Verizon if you need this volume of mobile data โ€ฆ which would cost $130/month plus taxes and fees for a 20GB/month hotspot plan. And paying $179.98 for 40GB of data is a way better deal than $320 (plus fees) direct with Verizon.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
More details on the Millenicom rate increase can be found here:

"Millenicom Verizon Hotspot Price Increase โ€“ No Joke"

My respect for the Millenicom management just went up another notch...
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
If you remember, a few months ago Millenicom lost a significant amount of business when Sprint canceled their bulk reseller contract with them. I suspect this is a combination of attempting to recover lost revenue and possibly a rate increase from Verizon. After all this is a 30% price increase over the current amount, which is a lot in the business world.

Also their own success could be at work here. They really have no sizable competition providing the same service coverage riding on the Verizon network.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
doxiemom11 wrote:
Any ideas for an alternative?

At $4.50/GB or less? Nope...
Dutch

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Any ideas for an alternative?

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
Here is the notice I just received.......

Due to increased data costs from the upstream carrier all Millenicom broadband accounts (Hotspot, Advanced and Standard Plans) will allow for 20GB of data transfer for $89.99 monthly beginning May 1, 2014.

In the event you require higher usage, Millenicom can add data in 20GB increments for $89.99. This means you no longer need to purchase an additional device, activation and shipping, to acquire more than 20GB of data.

Please note you can track usage online by checking the usage field at the bottom of your plan link from the products tab in the Members Center.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
I think it's more likely that Verizon has raised their bulk data charges.

On edit: I just received the following email from Millenicom a few minutes ago:

Due to increased data costs from the upstream carrier all Millenicom broadband accounts (Hotspot, Advanced and Standard Plans) will allow for 20GB of data transfer for $89.99 monthly beginning May 1, 2014.

In the event you require higher usage, Millenicom can add data in 20GB increments for $89.99. This means you no longer need to purchase an additional device, activation and shipping, to acquire more than 20GB of data.

The bad news of course, is the rate increase, but the good news is being able to add data without the need for an entire second account. For me, that means no longer needing the old 3G Advanced account for those months when we run out of 4G data.
Dutch

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Do you think that demand has increased from all the success stories on here enough to warrant a price increase? They have received a lot of publicity.

MrVan
Explorer
Explorer
Just got off the Mlllenicom Chat line. I asked if there was a rate increase coming on the 20GB plan? Their answer:

"Yes, that is correct. We will have a new rate of $89.99 starting May 1st."

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
20 minutes ago I was considering them for summer use. One park I visit has good service by the provider they resell and lousy park provided Wi-Fi, my own cellular provider is not that hot there either.

That, as they say, was so 20 minutes ago.. You just saved me some thought, that's flat too much to pay for too little service.. Please extend to them this message when next you chat.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times