cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

MODEM / ROUTER Question

DD716TED
Explorer
Explorer
Next week, Xfinity will be replacing my older Comcast / Xfinity modem / router with a new unit.. It was requiring a reset almost every week. When they do this, can or will they transfer the WiFi security code from the old modem to the new one OR will I have to enter a new code on all my WiFi devices like cell phone, Samsung Pad, laptops, tv's, printers, etc.. Had to ask..
19 REPLIES 19

MrWizard
Rename the new router to be the same name as the old one, use the old wifi password, everyone's devices are looking for oldtrouter & old password
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good point about the login password. That was one of the first things I did when setting up the new router.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

As mentioned, you will need to set the SSID/Password to match your previous router. Many now come with some type of GUI app to make the process easier.

I would make sure to change the router 'admin' password as soon as possible. Many routers have it printed on the bottom. Hackers use the fact that most don't change the default admin password to gain entry into your home network. Worst case to steal data or for nefarious purposes which can trace back to your IP address.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
A new MAC address won't affect the devices connecting to a wireless network. SSID and Password. My router was entirely different from the previous one, including MAC Address, and not a single device, out of about 15, had any issues connecting with the old password and SSID.

If you had MAC Address filtering on the router and tried to connect a new device, that would be a different story.

However you don't want to try and connect before the new router is completely set up with the SSID and Password.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
But the devices won't care about the modem, they will connect to the router, and the router will have the same SSID and password.

Typo on my part. The OP said they were replacing a combo modem/router, not just a modem. The router will have a new MAC address which may or may not cause the password to be re-entered on each connecting device.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
But the devices won't care about the modem, they will connect to the router, and the router will have the same SSID and password.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™ll be interested I hearing what the OP reports about having to provide the password for each computer/phone etc. Since the modem will also have a new MAC address I suspect that maybe each device will see this and request the password instead of using a stored one. I seem to recall having run across this but it was a year or two ago so Iโ€™ve forgotten.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
fj12ryder wrote:
time2roll wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
philh wrote:
If it's a new unit, highly likely it will require each device to be reconnected.
Not really, if the password is the same, the devices won't care about the machinery, just the connection. All of the devices, phones, tablets, and laptops all connected with no issues.
just password or name and password?
I think both need be the same as the old.
Yes, the SSID has to be the same as well as the password.
This is correct. The stuff on the user end won't care who made the new equipment as long as these two things are the same as the old equipment.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
time2roll wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
philh wrote:
If it's a new unit, highly likely it will require each device to be reconnected.
Not really, if the password is the same, the devices won't care about the machinery, just the connection. All of the devices, phones, tablets, and laptops all connected with no issues.
Yes, the SSID has to be the same as well as the password.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
As long as you or the tech setup the new router with the exact same SSID and Password, the existing devices will reconnect automatically. Just did this recently but it also worked when I moved from a Mobley to a Netgear Hotspor and now that hotspot to a new cellular router.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
fj12ryder wrote:
philh wrote:

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
philh wrote:
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
theoldwizard1 wrote:
I just went through this. Unfortunately my new modem/router (Surfboard SBG8300) would not allow an SSID of less than 6 characters and my old one was 5 !

Do you know how many devices 6 grandchildren and their parents have !!!

That sounds like a reason to choose a different new router!
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
When I replaced my single point router recently with a mesh router (amazing improvement, 3 nodes scattered throughout the house), I gave it the same SSID and encryption password as the old one. Everything connected automagically.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB