cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Laptop Google issue??

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
Problem with Laptop - ASUS w/Wdw10 Pro ... Samsung SSD.

When I open my laptop and open Google, a black window with my app on it opens half-way across my page, then closes, then opens, continuously and I've tried everything to stop it. Restore, uninstall, shut-off etc.

I believe it's related to EDGE. It also keep downloading some Whiteboard app, which I delete/uninstall. The next time I open Google, it does the same thing, and Whiteboard pops up on a lower corner again???

I've unchecked boxes, disengaged One-Drive, Just about everything - altho, am not a tech savvy person, I've been around PC and LT for years and know a little ... but this one has me stuck. I try to disengage EDGE but no way I can find will do it. Soon as I boot up again, EDGE appears again as my Default - Google has been my default search ever since I can remember.

It does not happen EVERY TIME - as right now the black screen is not popping out. When it begins, it's continuous popping in and out, and when it's doing it, I can't type in anything, MSW or Email. When I try to type, no letters appear, but a random app or program opens and sit but will not operate.

I've done nothing new to it - same everything since last week - ran a scan, malware search, etc. All show clean.

I'm fairly certain it's something in EDGE, because each time I try 'things' and delete the EDGE icon on startup, it returns on startup and again the app/programs flashes appear. Sometimes it randomly opens Photos, or photo app, or some other app that's on the control panel.

Really stuck on this one -- Thx M44
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic
21 REPLIES 21

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
OP: have you done all the Windows 10 updates including optional?
Have you done system cleanup including system cleanup?
Try disabling Avast and enableing Defender.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
I have 3 browsers installed: Edge, Firefox and Chrome. I rarely use Chrome but almost exclusively use Edge. No problems with Edge at all.

Due to other issues ( not with Edge), Iโ€™ve reset my device several times, thus reinstalling the OS (W10 Pro). I wonder if you could just go ahead and reset your computer. This process restores your OS to a virtually new condition. The process takes a while to complete, but itโ€™s always worked well for me. You have a choice keeping your saved documents, photos, etc. or wiping everything clean. Be sure your stuff is backed up first

You can find the reset instructions in Settings.
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have been using both Edge and Google browsers on my Windows 10 for many months with no problems at all. Laptop is Lenovo I Core 7. I also have Malwarebytes Premium installed.

This is not the usual method for a user to uninstall an app in WIN10? You can remove most any app using force uninstall. You can also create more problems if not careful. Though not many users are going to use command-line or feel comfortable to doing so?

Simply don't use EDGE if you have issues with it for any reason.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
1492 wrote:

Microsoft doesn't allow you to uninstall EDGE directly from WIN 10. You can only do a repair.

How to remove Microsoft EDGE

LynnandCarol wrote:
uninstall/reinstall edge.

Microsoft doesn't allow you to uninstall EDGE directly from WIN 10. You can only do a repair.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
I have great success with the following. I know it sounds scary, but it is not !

Download and install a new copy of Windows 10 and install it on a Flash/thumb drive. Make sure your computer will boot from a thumb drive and then do it.

This will NOT delete your data, but it should be backed up. It will delete any applications you have installed so make sure you know how to reinstall them.

I am not a fan of Avast, but I do like CCleaner. I use the Registry Cleaner option regularly.

LynnandCarol
Explorer
Explorer
uninstall/reinstall edge.

cekakansa
Explorer
Explorer
are you using chrome extension...some time this issue accrue due to extensions Fishing Lures

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
1492 is probably right too ... but for now, LT works fine with Google. If it does it again - don't know what I'll do, but will not fight it for long ... MS is getting way to personal and way to controllable of our tech lives ... I see a Macbook in my future. Don't know if that's better, but it cannot be worse.

Still haven't figured out why a browser would interfere with MSW and any writing program or app, but it did. I was afraid to open any of my photo work ... so, don't know how it would have treated it, and never want to find out. All backed up of course, but that's another unnecessary hassle if it does glitch some image and designs -- BLAH !!
Monkey44
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
2oldman is mostly right. I figured it out today. Altho, I've been using Google as my main search engine for years with no problems.

Somehow, maybe an update? The EDGE shortcut showed up on my laptop, so I deleted it. But, apparently, it stayed 'hidden'. When I clicked on Google, a window warning popped up and said, "Google is not your default, click here to make it your default.' So I clicked it, and apparently again, EDGE will not allow Google to be the default. And the messy and annoying interaction when Google tried to become the default created havoc with all my programs - nothing would type in any programs - MS Word, Google, even here on RvNet. PRogram or app will open, but it will not function.

Everything I tried, shutting off stuff, repairing stuff, etc - nothing worked until I opened Google once, did not click the 'make this your default' and it opened and everything was back to normal. Simple answer that eluded me for three days.

I deleted that 'warning', and Google and Programs / Apps all function correctly.
I imagine I'll find out eventually that some of what I shut off will come back to haunt me - altho, I don't remember every one at the moment. A lesson learned today, for sure. What an adventure!!

Thanks to all that tried to assist. ๐Ÿ™‚ M44 AND, a great 2022 to y'all ...
Monkey44
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845

There is a known issue with some experiencing display problems in WIN 10 with Google and other websites using EDGE. The issue appears to involve Token Binding Protocol, a security measure enabled by default in WIN 10. The easiest fix may be to use another browser such as Chrome instead. Both EDGE and Chrome are Chromium based browsers.

If using EDGE, you can also try an 'InPrivate' browser window using the shortcut CTRL+SHFT+N and check if you experience the same issue?

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Chrome may have the same problem as they are part of Google.
Spyware and malware is likely the problem. Spybot and Malwarebytes gets rid of them. Some spyware and malware can cause all types of problems.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
Try installing the CHROME browser instead of Edge.
This. May be a problem running Google with Edge. Viruses are possible, but not all that common anymore.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman