cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My new Pioneer and back up camera

marc71
Explorer
Explorer
Installed my new Pioneer double din DVD receiver in my Tow-Vehicle yesterday along with an aftermarket tailgate back up camera. The unit will not switch to camera view when the T-V is put in reverse, I have to manually select it on the screen, then it will turn on after it’s in reverse. There’s a purple wire on the head unit that I haven’t connected because I’m not sure where it supposed to go... any ideas?
2010 Toyota Tundra SR5 TRD double cab 4x4
2015 Jayco Jayflight 32 BHDS
Prodigy Brake Control
Eaz-Lift WD - Eaz-Lift sway control
6 REPLIES 6

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I'd kill to be able to manually operate all of my rear view cameras.
bumpy

Farmboy666
Explorer
Explorer
If you hook the power to running lights instead of reverse light you will have camera all the time running lights are on. If wired to reverse lights you need to hook the purple wire to trigger camera. I hooked mine to a power switch on the dash so I can turn it on and off as I want, did not need trigger wire hooked up.

GWolfe
Explorer
Explorer
marc71 wrote:
sbrdude86 wrote:
it needs to be connected to the reverse lights feed. In both my ford tow vehicles. I tied into it under the rocker cover that is located under the drivers side door.

There is already a reverse light feed coming from to camera to the backup light.

I believe that is to power the camera, you need to hook up the purple wire like mentioned above for the radio to know when you put the truck in reverse.
2005 Sun-Lite Eagle
2011 Silverado

marc71
Explorer
Explorer
sbrdude86 wrote:
it needs to be connected to the reverse lights feed. In both my ford tow vehicles. I tied into it under the rocker cover that is located under the drivers side door.

There is already a reverse light feed coming from to camera to the backup light.
2010 Toyota Tundra SR5 TRD double cab 4x4
2015 Jayco Jayflight 32 BHDS
Prodigy Brake Control
Eaz-Lift WD - Eaz-Lift sway control

sbrdude86
Explorer
Explorer

Iraqvet05
Explorer
Explorer
According to these guys here, the purple white wire is used to sense a voltage trigger for the camera. Watch at 3:04
2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2018 Jayco 28BHBE

US Army veteran