cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New IBM battery technology??

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
This stuff is way over my head, but IBM is not known for flights of fancy. High density, easily sourced materials, fast charging, etc. Someday we will get to the energy density of petrochemicals -- if this article is telling the truth, that day is getting a little closer:

Article
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."
6 REPLIES 6

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
I do recall the Goodenough article -- he is a Nobel prize winner, by the way. We've got some heavy hitters working on this issue -- not just Elon Musk. Storage is the holy grail of a post-carbon economy.

But I would just settle for 200 amp hours in a little box at a reasonable price! ๐Ÿ˜‰
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Trouble with most of this tech is longevity and mass production. Note the advantages given omit those items:

โ€œJust as promising as this new batteryโ€™s composition is its performance potential. In initial tests, it proved it can be optimized to surpass the capabilities of lithium-ion batteries in a number of individual categories including lower costs, faster charging time, higher power and energy density, strong energy efficiency and low flammability.โ€

Don't get me wrong, I am very excited if a major improvement can be achieved. Many people are working on batteries.

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Perhaps you missed the announcement earlier this year that the laboratory of John B. Goodenough (that's really his name, btw), the guy who invented lithium batteries, has developed a solid electrolyte that is expected to make possible completely solid state batteries with 2.5 to 5 times the energy density of current lithium ion batteries, with no fire risk, longer lasting, and makes it possible to use sodium instead of lithium, which, being vastly more abundant and thus much cheaper than lithium, should make those batteries much cheaper to make as well.

https://youtu.be/g0nA8CfxBqA

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Exciting times are coming! Thank you for posting.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
This is looking... Interesting.. I like the rapid recharge and density would like to see density improved however.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Long way to go before we will see the "fruit of this labor" !