cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Original Mobley Obsolete?

ralphnjoann
Explorer
Explorer
AT&T is ending 3G in February 2022, see here. The Mobley uses 3G when it de-priortizes. Where will that leave us? Any thoughts?
18 REPLIES 18

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,everyone ๐Ÿ™‚

My location eliminated 3G last fall. But just in the last few weeks my two mobleys have been dropping internet connection more often than usual.

Does this mean it's time for me to finally get a hotspot? Which one? Or is it too late?

Do I need to get the unlock codes from AT&T? Is it possible to do that through some website or something and not by using the phone?

Appreciate any advice!
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

cooperwl
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone had success getting the PUK codes for a Mobley SIM lately?

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
1492 wrote:

T-Mobile 5G router is a Nokia brand using the newest WiFi 6, 2-Ethernet ports, and a phone port. You can set SSID, passwords, admin credentials, manage connections, and monitor tower stats from smartphone app.

Just remember T-Mobile home internet is not for travel. It's based on a fixed address.

Note on - "check for availability":

A T-Mobile store can check for you if the *home* internet is available in your area based on your zip code.

If it is not - they will put you on an e-mail notification list for *when* it becomes available.

In my So. CA zip code it is not yet available. No clue if the "roll out" is based on geography, population - or both.

:W

T-Mobile 5G router is a Nokia brand using the newest WiFi 6, 2-Ethernet ports, and a phone port. You can set SSID, passwords, admin credentials, manage connections, and monitor tower stats from smartphone app.

Just remember T-Mobile home internet is not for travel. It's based on a fixed address.

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
1492 wrote:

I picked up my free 4G/5G T-Mobile router at a company retail store, though have been told that limited stores have them in stock at this time. So better to call ahead to check availability if that's where you want to get one.

More information on the free 4G/5G router please. Model number???
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

MrWizard wrote:

Three days ago I signed up for & ordered the T-mobile wireless home internet, unlimited data no throttling...

My T-Mobile home internet has been consistently 5G, though speeds can vary. I'm thinking due to periods of high tower usage. Amazing considering the 5G map shows that the closest tower is a couple of miles away. Though likely intermediate antennas located nearby my location but not indicated? :h Still easily fast enough to stream 4K video at the slowest speeds I've seen. Haven't personally done so yet.

I picked up my free 4G/5G T-Mobile router at a company retail store, though have been told that limited stores have them in stock at this time. So better to call ahead to check availability if that's where you want to get one.

Speed test just now with T-Mobile router signal strength indicated as 3/5 bars (Good):

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
I've had the Netgear 815S that uses my Mobley SIM set to "4G and LTE only" since the first of the year and haven't had any connection problems even when on busy towers where speeds noticeably slowed down. My only concern with the 3G drop will be whether AT&T could use it as an opportunity to drop the Connected Car plan entirely. It does appear that AT&T is using the same Connected Car plan for the current "Harman Spark" OBDII device they used for the Mobley, so I expect our Mobley devices/SIMs will continue to work.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for that important to me information Mr. Wizard. I will follow your advice before cutoff date. Cheers to you.

MrWizard
I downloaded the AT&T supported phone list
Page 7, the last page , lists the hotspot devices that will be supported, the ZTE Mobley model VM6200
Is not on the list
The unite explore AC851S aka Netgear 8155 for AT&T
Is on that list, this is the device my Mobley SIM is in,
The device/Hotspot I'm connected to right now
It seems the best option to keep a Mobley account going,
Is to get puc (SIM unlock code) from AT&T , unlock the sim and move the SIM to a supported Hotspot device

Click For Full-Size Image.

To the OP
Thanks for calling attention to this
Users now have have time to replace the device or wait until Feb 2022 and drop the Mobley service account
AT&T does have a 100gig hotspot data account for $55, that would fill the need for many users
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

MrWizard
theoldwizard1 wrote:
If I am going to have a wireless home internet connection I want a device that has 1 preferably 2 connectors for external antennas.

My netgear hotspot has (2) external antenna ports,
And I have the MIMO antenna for it
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
You can add antenna connections to the T-Mobile device. I have the tutorial on file with how to do it.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
If I am going to have a wireless home internet connection I want a device that has 1 preferably 2 connectors for external antennas.

MrWizard
Remember the depriortizing is a plan thing, implemented by AT&T servers, this can be turned off or removed by AT&T, this is Not a hardware issue,
AT&T can change this
Don't know what they will do, but why make all the Mobley owners mad, when they don't need too, how can you switch a device account to use a service you have discontinued
After all the Mobley is a 4G device (as is my Netgear Wi-Fi hotspot router,)
How will AT&T de-prioritize to 3G if there is No 3G to use

What it means if you have AT&T Wireless service
Talk and data services wonโ€™t work for wireless phones and Devices that donโ€™t support at least 4G LTE and HD Voice.

Have session-based pricing for a data-only device?
After phasing out our 3G network, your data-only device wonโ€™t work unless it supports 4G LTE speeds and higher.

The Mobley is 4G, we will find out next year , how this plays out

How many people have a 3G only phone or hotspot or tablet
The world did not stop moving when 2G was phased out, how many people were forced to replace their phone then, not too many were still using an old 2G flip phone at the time they became obsolete, and I suspect not to many have a 3G only hotspot or phone right now
The Mobley is not 3G only, right now with this tablet, I'm connected to 4G via my att netgear hotspot with the Mobley SIM , Before next Friday I should be using my new T-Mobile 4G/5G INTERNET
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

MrWizard
I moved my Mobley SIM CARD to a netgear hotspot router , long time back
Three days ago I signed up for & ordered the T-mobile wireless home internet, unlimited data no throttling,
It's on the way, shipped from Louisville Ky and due to arrive next Tuesday the 22nd,
The current special includes $50 per month with auto pay, $55 without, no setup fees, no shipping fees, no surcharges, they ship the device free comes with the SIM installed ready to go, but if you terminate service you must return it, or pay full price for it $280, if you loose it or break it, you pay for it, I think you have to call tech service during initial startup...No charge
Special offer end on June 30
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s