cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Samsung Galaxy S3 Verizon hotspot known problem

ploiselle
Explorer
Explorer
This is just a FYI in case someone else is experiencing the same problem.

I received my Galaxy S3 the day Verizon made them available last July. I have had problems with the hotspot from the day I received it from many locations on the east coast. Cape Cod, Massachusetts in the summer and Naples, FL in the winter. I have made many calls to Verizon about being disconnected or no service since July always getting the same answer that there are no problems on the towers near me. Sometimes they have had be check some settings on the phone.

I was in Narragansett, RI this past weekend trying to make several reservations through ReserveAmerica to be disconnected several times. I called ReserveAmerica to be told that my site selection needed to time out before they could make the reservation.

Being very frustrated and having 5 bars, I called Verizon twice over two days on this issue. The second time the tech asked me to read the build number. She said it was a known issue and was going to get me a new phone at no cost. We struggled with this for 4 months in Naples and now all of a sudden it is a "know problem". They didn't know about it in November, January, February, March or part of April while we were using it fulltime? I hate dealing with Verizon.

Was I surprised to find out that I was not getting a Galaxy S3, but a Razr HD. I was told that I would have the same problem if I got another Galaxy S3.

I am only paying $30/month for unlimited data. I need a hotspot, so I will live with the downgrade to the Razr HD.

Just an FYI.
Paul

41' MountainAire (MADP) -Spartan- Cummins 350 ISC
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
Brake Buddy - CoachNet

32 REPLIES 32

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Gee, I use a Samsung S-III with T-Mobile.. The only "Hot spot" problem I have had is when I'm in a place with only "G" level coverage (Low speed, I mean watch paint dry or grass grow speed) Of course when I'm no a 4G tower... It's "Hold on to your hat" speed (Greased lightening)

On, Unlimited Data (They tell me in one place) Limited high speed (not that I've ever noticed) and ... Works in a couple places where V does not.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
You had better watch out. They will try to take away your unlimited plan.

ploiselle
Explorer
Explorer
UPDATE,

The Razr arrived. I was unable to open the slot for the Sims card. I called Verizon and asked for the sims removal tool for the Razr that Verizon's website says that I need to open the door on the Sims slot. They suggested that I try a safety pin, no success.

It gets better. While on the telephone with Verizon, I try taking the rubber protective cover off of the S3 and drop it, breaking the glass screen. The Verizon persons says to send the S3 back under my protection plan and send the Razr back to them. Try the new S3 I receive. Then, if I still have a problem, call them back.

I will let you know how the new S3 works.

Paul

Brake Buddy - CoachNet

schneid
Explorer
Explorer
Just like GPS or WiFi phone performance is affected by ones surroundings. If there is minimal or no towers, congestion or obstructions reception will suffer. There are millions of S3's in service around the planet and very few complaints in relation to the installed base. Market share seems to indicate Samsung is doing something right.

You can flash different radios that some claim help isolated issues. How one would ever test that is beyond me. Way too many variables. Funny thing is that some who have taken the MD3 update claim the phone is now worse.

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
The download appears to have improved the phone reception problems of the S3 as well. About time. Great machine, average or below phone.
Puma 30RKSS

marksoldtowne
Explorer
Explorer
I have my Samsung Galaxy S3 Verizon hotspot working fine for me, I do not think there is an issue for all the Samsung Galaxy S3 Verizon hotspot, but I am not sure about all. I am happy with the Galaxy S3.

ploiselle
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
I have to reset my phone from time to time... On many web pages you can (once the page times out on your computer) Reset the phone, re-connect to it, and then re-load the page.

However your issues sound worse then mine.
Thank you. Have reset the connection many, many times. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

I love the new multiview, but since we spend a lot of time on the road, the hotspot is more important to me. I am currently using Comcast at home.

Since setting up a new phone is time consuming, I am going to wait a couple days before switching to the new phone.

Paul

Brake Buddy - CoachNet

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II

You were upto date as of yesterday. The update also added multi view. Hopefully the Razr works out.

Droid Life YouTube Multi View

Thanks for that link! I heard that the update included multi-view but read somewhere that it was not. One click on your link and I had all the necessary info. What a great feature and I hope they expand which apps we will be able to use in those spaces!
Thanks again. Very timely.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have to reset my phone from time to time... On many web pages you can (once the page times out on your computer) Reset the phone, re-connect to it, and then re-load the page.

However your issues sound worse then mine.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

wcjeep
Explorer
Explorer
ploiselle wrote:
strollin wrote:
ploiselle wrote:
I assume tethering includes using the hotspot. I have unlimited data on the phone and unlimited data on the hotspot. We used between 8 and 9 gigs on the hotspot last February with no additional fee. In our case, the hotspot may be a separate plan, but still grandfathered as unlimited.

I confirm this with Verizon every time I talk to them, including the conversation about the new phone.

Paul

To my knowledge, Verizon has never offered a Hotspot plan with unlimited data. Are you using something like FoxFi to create the Hotspot? If so, you aren't using Verizon's Hotspot option. I use FoxFi on my phone with an unlimited data plan and do not have a Hotspot plan.
The only thing I do is turn the hotspot on when I need it. I do use PDA.net several times during the winter to make reservations on ReserveAmerica due to the hotspot being so unstable.

I read the Verizon Galaxy S3 update link provided above. I only know what she told me. She said I was up to date. I received the new Razr about an hour ago.

My build number ends in MB1 as opposed to MD3 in the article.

Paul

You were upto date as of yesterday. The update also added multi view. Hopefully the Razr works out.

Droid Life YouTube Multi View

ploiselle
Explorer
Explorer
strollin wrote:
ploiselle wrote:
I assume tethering includes using the hotspot. I have unlimited data on the phone and unlimited data on the hotspot. We used between 8 and 9 gigs on the hotspot last February with no additional fee. In our case, the hotspot may be a separate plan, but still grandfathered as unlimited.

I confirm this with Verizon every time I talk to them, including the conversation about the new phone.

Paul

To my knowledge, Verizon has never offered a Hotspot plan with unlimited data. Are you using something like FoxFi to create the Hotspot? If so, you aren't using Verizon's Hotspot option. I use FoxFi on my phone with an unlimited data plan and do not have a Hotspot plan.
The only thing I do is turn the hotspot on when I need it. I do use PDA.net several times during the winter to make reservations on ReserveAmerica due to the hotspot being so unstable.

I read the Verizon Galaxy S3 update link provided above. I only know what she told me. She said I was up to date. I received the new Razr about an hour ago. Hopefully that solves the problem for those using the hotspot with the S3.

My build number ends in MB1 as opposed to MD3 in the article.

Paul

Brake Buddy - CoachNet

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
I was grandfathered into the unlimited Verizon data plan. I have the option of making my phone a hot spot, legally, for $30/month, which I do when I am on the road for an extended period.

Netflix and movie downloads can eat up a lot of data. I have never gone over 12gb in a billing period but most months I am under 3gb.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
wcjeep wrote:
Just found this. Software update for the GS3 on Vzw. Includes hot spot bug fix.

Verizon Galaxy S3 update

That update is live. I just downloaded it. Now I have to figure out what it did or did not do. Initially, I don't see it doing any harm!:S
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

strollin
Explorer
Explorer
ploiselle wrote:

Paul

Me, her, 2 boys & 2 girls
'05 Chevy 2500HD LT 4x4, D/A
Reese Dual Cam HP
'04 Wilderness Advantage 290FLS
Twin Honda 2000s

"I'd rather wear out than rust out!"

See our pics here