cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stereo question

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
The next technology question for my new motorhome, the builder of the unit cheaped out and put a crappy stereo in it. Doesn’t even have Apple Car Play. So that’s going to be the first upgrade I do. But since I ordered every option, I have side view cameras that come on with the turn signals. So I need a new stereo that has three camera inputs. Most of them I have found seem to only have two, one for the rear and one for the front. Also, the current stereo is in a single height bay in the dash, but it does look like there is room to cut the dash out for a bigger stereo. The current stereo has a motorized screen that comes out and pops up when you turn it on.

One of the problems with the current stereo is you can’t see the screen from the drivers seat. You have to lean over and look straight to see it. So that doesn’t work for me. I just went by Best Buy (couldn’t find anybody to answer questions) but I found one I really like, but it only has two camera inputs. The one I found is a JVC and it will fit directly in the single bay slot without having to cut the dash up, and it’s got a big fixed 9” screen that is attached to the front. And because it sticks out it’s also adjustable. So you can tilt it toward the driver. But it only has two camera inputs and in looking at the JVC website they don’t have a model with three inputs.

Hopefully I described this good enough. Anybody found a stereo that meets all these specs?

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

3 REPLIES 3

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
Call Crutchfield. Their tech support is first rate. I've been buying consumer electronics form them almost exclusively since 1991 and they always treat me very well.

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
Went to a local stereo shop to talk about this, and he tells me I likely already have a camera splitter like the one posted above. So any stereo with a single input for a camera would work as only the powered up camera will be displayed. I didn’t know that. So that opens up the types of stereo I can get.

Now the only problem is viewing angle. According to the stereo shop guy, nobody makes one with a floating screen where the screen can be adjusted side to side. With mounting location of the stereo being in the center and the dash being flat, it means no matter what I’m going to be looking at the screen from the drivers seat at a pretty significant angle. So my only hope is getting a big screen, like 9 inches, and hope it’s bright enough to be visible at the angle.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

shastagary
Explorer
Explorer
one of these may solve the input problem if your able to wire it up to what you have for cameras Pac Intelligent 4 CAM SWITCHER