cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tow vehicle audio, nav & backup camera - what to do?

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hello, everyone. I'm a newbie to the forums but have already gleaned a lot of useful information from the group so far. My question today concerns “technology in the cockpit.”

Our tow vehicle is a 2005 Tahoe LT, 5.3L with tow package and only about 72K miles (pulling a new Surveyor Sport 220). The truck came with the non-Bose sound system but with onStar. Being a musician since the ‘60s (and, worst of all, a bass player), I could not abide by the stock sound system, so I installed what I call my “stealth” audio system. This consists of the stock head unit (to retain steering wheel controls, onStar, and a stock appearance for security purposes) feeding a JL Audio CleanSweep to get the messed-up stock EQ back to flat. The CleanSweep then feeds a multi-band parametric EQ (for pinking the system to the vehicle), four-channel amp for the doors and a bridged amp for the JL Audio center console Stealth sub. The primary music source is a Kenwood Music Keg hard drive unit stocked with 70 or 80 GB of uncompressed (FLAC) audio files. With this said, I mostly get to listen to music going to/from work (still putting off retirement) and when my wife is asleep on trips. Otherwise, we often find ourselves listening to a good book on CD.

My current navigation unit is a Garmin 2555LMT with which I’ve been very happy. (I probably wouldn’t know any better, though, as my flying and sailing days were pre-GPS…)

My quandary is this: I would very much like to have a backup camera to back up to the trailer – and the Garmin isn’t backup camera capable. My wife is “spatially challenged” and doesn’t have the decades of experience towing with me that my late wife had. With a dash-mounted GPS with power cable mounted, it seems like a separate backup camera would just make things that much more cluttered. I don’t particularly want to give up my sound system to replace everything with a new in-dash head unit with nav and backup camera (none of the new ones have a Kenwood CD changer input which is what the Music Keg requires) and I’ve used friends’ OEM in-dash units and am NOT impressed. I guess the Kenwood DVD navigation units with Garmin GPS would be OK, but I would still have to give up my Keg. (And I’ve read a number of reviews stating that the processors in these units are very slow and the units sometimes lock up.)

That brings me to the choice behind door #3… I’ve read some good things about the Good Sam-branded Rand McNally RV GPS available through Camping World. It appears to accept a hard-wired backup camera (the most reliable kind, anyway) and I can define my tow to avoid routes with narrow bridges, etc. It would mean only one dash-mounted device but would provide the backup camera option and allow me to keep my sound system. The Garmin RV dezl units aren’t getting very good reviews (and the dezl is the only one with a backup camera input), so this seems like a reasonable path to follow.

Does anyone have any other suggestions, experience with the Rand McNally or Good Sam units, or “out of the box” ideas? What would you do?

Thanks!

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015
5 REPLIES 5

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mremdal33 wrote:
Some of the Magellan GPS units have back up camera inputs as well. This article outlines all the different RV specific GPS options and if they take back up cameras or not. http://www.doityourselfrv.com/rv-gps-comparison-review-best-options/

Thanks, Mremdal33. I actually tried one of the Magellan units with a backup camera last winter. The backup camera worked great - but the GPS was the WORST unit I've ever tried. I returned it for the Garmin I now have (sans backup camera). Reading the review for all of the "RV" GPS units on Amazon (which I re-read after your post), none of them get stellar reviews. Seems like Garmin, Magellan, and others are still working on getting it right. There are not any objective reviews yet on the newish Good Sam branded unit, though - would like to hear from folks who have used one of them.
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
Full-time since 8/2015

Mremdal33
Explorer
Explorer
Some of the Magellan GPS units have back up camera inputs as well. This article outlines all the different RV specific GPS options and if they take back up cameras or not. http://www.doityourselfrv.com/rv-gps-comparison-review-best-options/

mrkoje
Explorer
Explorer
Second Chance wrote:
mrkoje wrote:
Rob,

You should consider the rearview mirror GPS/Backup camera replacement. This seems to be an elegant solution for you. You get to keep your headunit intact and you don't have to mess with any "on dash" or suction cup style units.

http://www.amazon.com/RYDEEN-REAR-VIEW-MIRROR-MONITOR/dp/B004AM9BT0

That's just one example - I believe OnStar even makes their own mirror replacement with backup camera as well.

Personally, I would probably just get the backup camera mirror because it is cheaper and use google maps on my smart phone for navigation but that is just me of course.

-Mike

Thanks, Mike. Looking at the Raydeen web site, it appears that the mirror is not compatible with OEM onStar - and they don't make a mount for the pre-'07 GM trucks.

There seems to be quite a few different companies that are producing the mirror style units. There might be one out there that would work but maybe not if you have the Onstar built into the mirror.
RAPTOR 300MP
RAM 3500 MEGA CTD 4X4

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
mrkoje wrote:
Rob,

You should consider the rearview mirror GPS/Backup camera replacement. This seems to be an elegant solution for you. You get to keep your headunit intact and you don't have to mess with any "on dash" or suction cup style units.

That's just one example - I believe OnStar even makes their own mirror replacement with backup camera as well.

Personally, I would probably just get the backup camera mirror because it is cheaper and use google maps on my smart phone for navigation but that is just me of course.

-Mike

Thanks, Mike. Looking at the Raydeen web site, it appears that the mirror is not compatible with OEM onStar - and they don't make a mount for the pre-'07 GM trucks.
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
Full-time since 8/2015

mrkoje
Explorer
Explorer
Rob,

-Mike
RAPTOR 300MP
RAM 3500 MEGA CTD 4X4