cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

USB Printer wired network server

Housted
Explorer III
Explorer III
I am looking for a simple 1 port USB printer Network server. The printer is a 1300 series HP LaserJet. Tried one and it did not work with windows 7 and 8.
Thanks
Housted
2019 Forrest River Forrester 3051S 2014 Honda CRV toad.
1000 W Solar, converted to 50 amp
400 Amps of LiFePO4,3000 Watt Inverter, Refer converted with JC refrigeration unit, Sofa replaced with 2 swivel chairs, over cab bed converted to TV mount and storage
6 REPLIES 6

wintersun
Explorer
Explorer
USB direct or Wifi from computer to printer is the fastest. Slowest is a USB port on a NAS as the data is spooled from the computer and converted into Ethernet packets which are then broken apart at the NAS and then converted again into a data stream for the USB port.

Much easier to have a wirelss router and attach the printer to it. Then it is wireless to the router and 1GB Ethernet to the printer regardless of which computer you are using. Oddly enough the cheaper the printer the more likely it is to have support for both wired Ethernet and wireless 802.11n.

We have a 20 year old HP Laserjet 4si that is still going strong but is noisy. We have it in a laundry room and use a wireless bridge device with an Ethernet port for the printer. It cost about $45 and works flawlessly.

Housted
Explorer III
Explorer III
wa8yxm wrote:
Do you want one that accepts Wi-Fi or is wired (Cat-5) acceptable.

Just want to move the printer off the desk across the room. Wired Cat-5 to UBS since LAN is available there.

Thanks for the help.

Housted
2019 Forrest River Forrester 3051S 2014 Honda CRV toad.
1000 W Solar, converted to 50 amp
400 Amps of LiFePO4,3000 Watt Inverter, Refer converted with JC refrigeration unit, Sofa replaced with 2 swivel chairs, over cab bed converted to TV mount and storage

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Do you want one that accepts Wi-Fi or is wired (Cat-5) acceptable.

I have one I used to use with my Canon IP-4300, but the IP died and the new MG class I do not need it.

Set up is a .. Female canine, and they do not work with all printers.

I had one that worked with HP too back when I used a photosmart. Went to Canon due to features the PS did not have.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
In a coach, the easy way is a usb cord from computer to printer. Quick, easy and the printer has full function fast. Make sure you have the right drivers for it.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

Kart-Racer
Explorer
Explorer
I have used Trendnet USB print servers with good results many times. I believe its a TE 100 or 1000, also a wireless version

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have never found a Network Server that would allow full use of any printer. However, you can install a router in your coach along with a wired or wireless printer and perform all the actions a printer / scanner can perform without any hassle.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?