cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

WiFi Booster

andeecat
Explorer
Explorer
We sometimes have issues with park WiFi signals being low while in our rig. I was wondering what others to to improve this. I see there are may plug in units as well as roof installed. What is most popular and works well.
16 REPLIES 16

jnoflane2
Explorer
Explorer
We have two AT&T 5G phones with unlimited data. We installed a WeBoost signal boost Antenna on the Class C to make sure we always get a strong signal and we use our phones as HotSpots. We csn do all the web surfing and TV streaming we want. Haven't run into issues anywhere and it is great when boondocking.

Thanks, John

2021 Gulf Stream Conquest 6237LE
w/ Ford 7.3L V8

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Here is my solution to poor CG WiFi, In those places that have Cell coverage, I use the WiFi connection in my Galaxy S9plus. We were at Morro Bay SP and there is no campground WiFi, using the Winegard Pro brought in some local channels but not much there.

I have Verizon as my cell carrier and am on the cheapest no contract, month to month plan. It is somewhere around $30 a month but I get a discount for being a long time customer and using AutoPay. I'm not sure how much data I pay for but it seems like 5 mb. It doesn't matter, I looked up the plans and figured I needed to upgrade to the $55 a month plan or the $65 a month plan.

We drove over to Los Osos to the Verizon store and I explained my situation to the salesman(young guy in his 20's) and he hemmed and hawed and then suggested the plan one level above my current plan for a net increase of $5 per month and an increase to 5 gb a month. Like the kid explained if I needed more data, they would be there and I could upgrade to another plan or by a Gig or two to tied me over until I had better campground WiFi. The next ten days using the TV like we would at home and did not run out of data.

We do not stream and I have been told that is the big data user, I don't know but for $60 a year, I'm a happy camper. The only draw back is you must have cell coverage.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Wilson Cell Booster at the cottage and the tower is 8 miles away. The signal gets boosted from one bar to three and sometimes four bars.

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Fisherman wrote:
Do you have a link to that model? Thanks.
Ccrane antenna.

Thanks very much.
I found one other but am a little skeptacle of the advertised distance of 18 miles line of sight. Long distance Wifi

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Fisherman wrote:
Ccrane antenna.

Thanks very much.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
streaming video at a campground unless they are mostly empty may be futile.

If there are other sources and a great antenna it may be possible.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Fisherman wrote:
Ccrane antenna.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:

andeecat
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you everyone. I have some good ideas now. As I am not too worried about security as we just use the WiFi for streaming and other minor stuff like that for the amount of time we are on the road in the RV I am not sure a "service" would be worth the extra cash. Thanks again.
Mike

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have wingard LGE modem/router, and it does a wonderful job for me. It has an AT&T SIM Card. I also have an AT&T personal cell phone and Verizon work phone. Since I'm working from home, multiple internet sources are absolutely required.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Everyone in the campground shares a rather narrow pipe. You can boost the signal--but the speed may remain quite dismal. Maybe email will work.

Back in the day, I used an Alpha Pro with a 40 db gain antenna. It would allow me to connect up to about 1/2 mile from a good source--so I'd use McDonald's and the like.

I do not recommend getting such a device. Cell phones are far better wobbly wide web suppliers.

Here is a link:

https://www.amazon.com/Alfa-Range-Repeater-Tube-AOA-2409-TF-Ant/dp/B07JBBCDD2
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
We always travel with both ATT and Verizon hotspots.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
For years I used a directional USB antenna/amplifier and it worked great. Then it didnโ€™t because too many people were on the CG WiFi. I switched to cell service and use that over 90% of the time.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36