cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Windows 10 and print driver issue

Joe417
Explorer
Explorer
This is a bit long but I did use spacing between thought.

Waisted a week with Microsoft and HP trying to resolve, knowing that I always get better info here.

Had older Dell Core 2 and HP6988 with W7 on it. Upgraded to W10 (32bit) last year. No issues with the printer but system was too slow. Mouse would quit. Unplug and reinstall would temporarily correct the issue. Microsoft said is was bad ports.

Upgraded a bit with a Dell i5 and same printer with W7 (32bit). All was working.

Went to W10 1607, hours and hours to install all the updates. All was working but kept having USB issues. Mouse would quit. Unplug and reinstall would temporarily correct the issue. As usual Microsoft said is was bad ports.

Decided to go to 64 bit, did a fresh install with W10 1803. Only a couple of updates. No mouse/USB issues now for about 3 weeks.

Another note, Same Network wireless printer as before and wife can print fine from her computer.

Problem: I cannot load printer drivers. I go though all the motions, I can find the printer, and at the end get a message saying "Driver did not install."

No other messages. Anyone familiar with this issue?
Joe & Evelyn
7 REPLIES 7

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
az99 wrote:
Ralph Cramden wrote:
Toss the 6988 in the can, buy a new one, and be done with it. Its how old? 12 years or more? It was certified for windows Vista and built for XP.

You can not expect HP to maintain and update drivers forever, nor expect Microsoft to maintain generic OS based drivers for every piece of antiquated hardware ever made.
Great solution! Throw all the working electronics and cars away and buy new stuff.:S

Trying to keep an XP up to date is like getting parts for a 1948 Dodge. It can be done but donโ€™t complain if itโ€™s not easy.

az99
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph Cramden wrote:
Toss the 6988 in the can, buy a new one, and be done with it. Its how old? 12 years or more? It was certified for windows Vista and built for XP.

You can not expect HP to maintain and update drivers forever, nor expect Microsoft to maintain generic OS based drivers for every piece of antiquated hardware ever made.
Great solution! Throw all the working electronics and cars away and buy new stuff.:S

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II

Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
I don't think it matters what drivers you are trying to install.. If it was UPGRADED from Windows 7 to 10 and you still had the Windows 7 print drivers installed, nothing you do will fix it until you DELETE all the prior 7 junk..

I think I had to stop the PRINT SPOOLER SERVICE. Then I could delete all the stuff under the "SPOOL" directory.. Restart the print spool service and then install the printer like it was brand new.

This only happens when you UPGRADE from 7 to 10 and don't do a clean install...

Like I said, I did this several years ago, so the memory is very vague on all the steps...

I found the steps by Google... I've tried to Google it again, but can't find the exact steps..

Sorry, but that's all I got..

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

shastagary
Explorer
Explorer
have you gone to the hp website and gotten the newest printer driver for your printer model that says it is for the windows 10-64 bit. if hp has not put out a new driver you may be out of luck and have to select and install a windows 10 generic driver that may not work as well.

AsheGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Not familiar with your issue, but I did have a problem with Windows 10 1803 on one of my three computers that I upgraded to it. It was an older Gateway desktop and Win 10 got hung up in a recent update issue and a clean install of Win 10 did the same thing on that PC. Seaches online found no help for my problem.

I realized that for what I used that computer for I didn't need Windows so I downloaded Zorin OS (Linux) just to see if Linux was a solution. It was and one of the things that surprised me was printer installation. I have two printers (one a Canon and one an Epson) that are both connected via wifi. The Zorin OS beat Windows completely in ease of installing these two printers and it was done by simply telling Zorin to search for printers and it found them, installed the necessary drivers and they both worked flawlessly. Now Windows will do that also, but not in the simple and fast way Zorin OS did it.

I am sure a Linux system doesn't meet all needs (it doesn't for me) but I think a lot of PC users are missing a free solution that entirely meets their needs and no antivirus is needed. And I found online installation tutorials that made it easily doable albeit with a little education on that environment.
David & Margaret - 2005 LTV 210B 3S
- Our Blog -

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
I had this issue with an upgraded Windows 7 to Windows 10 that had printers installed. Would not install the 10 drivers..

I went into the printers and devices and deleted/removed any listed printer.

I think I had to delete some actual files too, as it was awhile ago...

Google it, as that's where I know I found the eventual answer..

Good luck!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.