cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need help to buy Rv Trayler

gcosio
Explorer
Explorer
Hello Team and members of this fabulous club, we are a new family wanting to start a life as a Camper in an RV Trailer.
Today I found an offer for a 2019 MALLARD M185.
I am in the process with the Dealer to buy it but I would like to have advice on what points to clarify in the finalization for example.
Would it be good to buy a guarantee of $ 2000 that lasts at least 7 years?
It would be good to buy GAP insurance of $ 795
They are offering me a loan for 140 months at 6% interest is fair or where you can apply for a better interest with a credit of 720.
Please someone give me the best advice to avoid putting my feet in the mud. Thanks
27 REPLIES 27

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
You may want to look into gap insurance. If its the same as on a car, if totalled, you dont pay the extra. Example, on a car, you loose 10k by driving it off the lot. If it gets totalled the second day you own it, insurace pays you 10k less for what your into it. You still need to buy a new car, but you still owe the 10k for the last one to the lender , so add 10k to your 2nd new car payments. With gap insurance you dont owe that extra 10k. Something to think about.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
philh wrote:
With that length of loan you're going to have a very very expensive "toy" that will continue to depreciate. If you're going with 140 month loan, it tells me you are trying to manage payments. Run the numbers out and look at the total. It will be frightening.

Not sure how financially destitute one needs to be for this to be โ€œfrightening.โ€ Assuming they paid an avg price of about $18k, itโ€™s like $160ish per month and about $5k total in interest. Only about $2k more than a 60 month loan.
Will they be upside down on it? For sure. But this is such a small cost/investment, itโ€™s really pretty insignificant. It will only be painful when theyโ€™re still paying for the camper and itโ€™s long gone. (Unless they can take real good care of it and keep it for 15 years or more)
Itโ€™ll become a poor choice if/when they sell it in a few years or want to upgrade and take a bath on it.
Although itโ€™s worse if they got sold on a bunch of other **** like she was asking about. Hopefully not gullible enough to buy the warranty, gap, dealer provided hitch etc.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
With that length of loan you're going to have a very very expensive "toy" that will continue to depreciate. If you're going with 140 month loan, it tells me you are trying to manage payments. Run the numbers out and look at the total. It will be frightening.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
way2roll wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Good to hear, best of luck, have fun and apologies for the insinuation.

Guess you rested your case too soon. Hope you're not a lawyer.

Lol! Right?
I sometimes get stuck between โ€œare they a spammer?โ€ And โ€œcould they really be this clueless?โ€

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Grit dog wrote:

Guess you rested your case too soon. Hope you're not a lawyer.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
OP, not sure if you've paid for your trailer yet or not.

When we bought ours, we paid for it with a home equity line of credit. With mortgage rates so low now, that could potentially save you a LOT of money. We paid ours off in about 3 years, so it worked out great for us.

Any full size pickup (half ton or better) should pull that camper. The biggest thing to consider is PAYLOAD. Thats the amount of weight you can add to the truck. That includes passengers, hitch weight, firewood, bikes, grill, chairs, etc. Your trailer is pretty small and light, so you have lots of options.

If you have a growing family and plan to upgrade to a bigger trailer, I'd suggest you start looking at a 3/4 or 1 ton truck to future proof.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

gcosio
Explorer
Explorer
n additional query for the Mallard M185 model with these features:
Dry Weight3,632 lbs.
Payload Capacity786 lbs.
GVWR4,450 lbs.
Hitch Weight484 lbs.
What type of Truck Model do you recommend?

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
gcosio....IF that's your real name! LOL Just kidding!!! ๐Ÿ™‚

Like anything on the internet, you need to have a "tough skin" sometimes around here and just ignore some comments. In most cases, folks here don't deliberately try to berate others, but it sometimes comes across that way, even when they feel like they might be helping others. Hey...we're all wrong once in a while! ๐Ÿ™‚

Seriously, though, PLEASE feel free to ask questions here. Now that you're an owner, you're going to have LOTS more questions than you probably ever imagined. These Forums can be a tremendous source of information. Just browsing through previous posts can often get you quickly up to speed.

By the way, about my only gripe with this forum right along has been that the "Search" feature is sub-standard, in my opinion. So if you try to search for something and don't get a proper return, don't worry about it. Just start a new thread in the appropriate area with your question. Even if it's something that's been asked before, we'll be happy to answer for you, or perhaps, do a search for you and post the related links. (Many of us have A LOT of experience here, so we get a bit better at successful searches....but it still gets to be a frustrating experience sometime.)

Oh, and if you haven't noticed, there is an entire area on Travel Trailers, so I would recommend you start getting familiar with that area as well. Here it is: Travel Trailers.

Good Luck with your new RV and hope to see you around the forums!!!

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
gcosio wrote:
It is true that I do not handle the terms of some phrases or words in the English language correctly I apologize to the Annoyed.
My word for these people would be much worse....

Please don't let the rejects keep you away and from asking questions - glad everything is working out for you - and happy camping!
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

gcosio
Explorer
Explorer
I want to clarify that I enter this forum looking for advice and experiences for which many of the members present here have surely had. I am not a Scam nor is it my intention to spy or steal anything, I want to clarify that.
It is true that I do not handle the terms of some phrases or words in the English language correctly I apologize to the Annoyed.
It is true that I have no experience with VR life, but I feel entitled to learn and listen to the most experienced members of this Forum.
Thanks to all who positively commented and gave me their suggestions.
I must tell you that you take them with great respect and responsibility.
I finally got the RV Heartland - Mallard
Floorplan: M185 and I look forward to learning how to care for it and maintain it.
I also trust the good people who want to help me.
Thank you all.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
way2roll wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
None of y'all responding members see anything strange with the OP's posts??
And I used to wonder how it was even possible that people could get scammed so easily...

Who's getting scammed and for what? While the posts are a bit unusual, it reads like someone doesn't know much about RV's is buying an RV and possibly a bit of a language barrier. Probably tons of people in that boat that never bother asking on a forum. Infer what you want, but I checked my wallet this morning and my cash and cards are still there.

I rest my case...

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
way2roll wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
And I used to wonder how it was even possible that people could get scammed so easily...

Who's getting scammed and for what? While the posts are a bit unusual, it reads like someone doesn't know much about RV's is buying an RV and possibly a bit of a language barrier. Probably tons of people in that boat that never bother asking on a forum. Infer what you want, but I checked my wallet this morning and my cash and cards are still there.

Unless the OP comes back indicating he is not a native English speaker, something definitely seems off with the comments.

Not sure what the goal is but something certainly off.

If he really is legitimate:
- Go talk to your bank and see what they offer.
- As he appears to be a newbie, what are the specifications of the truck he intends to pull it with? Dealer is not a good source for towing capability.
- Similarly, what is his experience with maintenance and repair. Warranty won't cover maintenance or repairs required due to failure to maintain the rig properly. If he's needing an 11yr loan, I would be concerned that he doesn't have the finances to pay someone to keep it up properly.
- Extended warranties are typically 30-50% profit...stay away.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Grit dog wrote:

2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS