cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Plugged in or out

Bfrnk
Explorer
Explorer
Do you keep your rv plug into landline when at home and not on the road?
31 REPLIES 31

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Most batteries die from sulfation so keeping them plugged in will prevent that. However I never keep mine plugged in unless I want to charge them. Right now the batteries are not on a charger and won't be recharged until spring. I fully charged them in Nov then disconnect the neg cable on the chassis battery and hit the disconnect on the house batteries. During the summer if the MH is not used I will recharge when the batteries drop to 80% SOC. My 2 6v GC Sam's Club batteries are 15 years old now, each year I expect to replace them because of age but they continue to last a week of dry camping with no genset recharge. I think constant charging causes more plate shedding. However when capacity seems lower I will equalize and desulfate. Hope to get another season out of them.

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Trailer is fully stocked and heated all winter and is plugged in 24/7.

Campinghoss
Explorer
Explorer
Always plugged in. There is a progressive ems monitoring incoming power, the residential frig is set on 40 F and the batteries are monitored. I prefer to keep the frig on as residential models are made to run 24/7. At times during Thanksgiving we have the inside frig full, the frig in the garage full and have to use the one in the fiver. Plus I keep a small ceramic elec heater set at 32 for a safety net.
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
I don't leave it plugged in but do use battery maintainers on it, 1 for coach and 1 for engine battery.
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

akkeosflomdis
Explorer
Explorer
Presume you mean electrical plug in, aka shore power as it's sometimes called. Depends. But yes more often than not, it's plugged in.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nope. November to April completely disconnected. No trickle charge. Nuthin. One of the pros of an AGM battery bank. No maintenance & very low self discharge.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
min is pluged in when ever its not in use. check water every 3 months, if you have the factory converter check it every month.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Mike134
Explorer
Explorer
no reason to have it plugged in. plus it's 80' from the house
2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

Bfrnk
Explorer
Explorer
I do mean shore power not landline. New to rving and Iโ€™m not used to rv language enough.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Skibane wrote:
Bobbo wrote:
Plugged in. BUT, I replaced the OEM converter/charger with one that will take care of the batteries rather than boil them dry.

Simple Test: Measure your house battery voltage with the converter/charger turned on, after it has been running for a few days.

If you measure something in the 13.2 - 13.8 volt DC range, your converter is doing a decent job of maintaining the batteries. If the voltage is much higher than that, you're probably going to need to add water frequently.

My Progressive Dynamics converter/charger drops to 13.2v.

Even at 13.8v I think you need to monitor the water level at least monthly.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bfrnk wrote:
Do you keep your rv plug into landline when at home and not on the road?
No plug at the storage lot. Plenty of solar power.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
No, I donโ€™t. Concerned about surges and low voltage. Prior to buying Lithium battery I used a 30 watt solar panel to keep my Trojans charged when the TT was out of action. Now the discharge is so low, I am unconcerned.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Skibane
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bobbo wrote:
Plugged in. BUT, I replaced the OEM converter/charger with one that will take care of the batteries rather than boil them dry.

Simple Test: Measure your house battery voltage with the converter/charger turned on, after it has been running for a few days.

If you measure something in the 13.2 - 13.8 volt DC range, your converter is doing a decent job of maintaining the batteries. If the voltage is much higher than that, you're probably going to need to add water frequently.

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
I connect my batteries to a Battery Minder when I am not using it. The one I have can maintain up to 8 batteries at one time. It has an automatic desulfator. It has settings for different kinds pf batteries. It has an ambient temp sensor to adjust the voltage based on temperature. I think it is a great way to extend the life of your batteries.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star