cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Parking RV at home

someuser001
Explorer
Explorer
We just got our RV and there is a lot to take in. Parked it at home for the first night.

All we are doing is plugging the electricity in. Is there anything else to be done to park the RV at home?
15 REPLIES 15

12th_Man_Fan
Explorer
Explorer
Are you parking on pavement? If you are on dirt I would put something under the tires such as gravel, treated wood or concrete blocks.
2014 GMC Duramax 4X4 DRW Crew

2015 DRV Tradition

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
If this will be the normal situation install a dedicated circuit for the trailer. Use a surge protector at the recepticle box and then plug into the surge protector.
I have mine in my yard and use it all the time, refrigerator is stocked with refreshments and I can turn on the A/C if I want to and even watch TV....sometimes the bed calls me in for a nap.

The ability to keep your rig at home is you are able to do your maintenance at your lesiure and its a lot more secure than a storage lot.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
great time to crawl under the rv and seal any holes and around plumbing going threw the floor. a mouse can get threw a hole the size of a dime. theres all kinds of sealers, I use spray foam.

Bob_Olallawa
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know where you are parking it or if HOA allow but if you can, ther is no better place to park it than at home. Easy to load for a trip, and if the power goes out you still have a place to cook dinner if needed. If you are able to park at home, I would set up an RV metal carport and call it good. Run some power to it and run a small heater in the winter to keep it dry and smelling good.
Welcome to my home, that door you just broke down was there for your protection not mine.

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
In addition, check with local ordinances or HMO rules (if applicable)
This is why I donโ€™t have an HMO or live in an HOA. Too many rules :B.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

2_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
All above advice is what I would suggest. In addition, check with local ordinances or HMO rules (if applicable) to find out any restrictions/rules on RV parking at home. Some towns require RV's and boats if stored at home meet existing setbacks, others don't care. Some communities require them to be stored on concrete, asphalt, brick driveways, etc. while some don't allow it at all. Just a phone call usually needed if you haven't already done that. Enjoy RVing!
Two young retirees restless to GO!
Life is too short to wait too long to do all we want to do!!
Go and enjoy!!

Jim2007
Explorer
Explorer
Hi.. Congrats on your new RV... if it is parked on the street check with the city about regulations on length of time it can be on 4th street. Our city regulations allow for 48 hours only then it must be moved. Jim2007.
TV: 2016 Dodge 2500 Diesel
Rig: 2013 Heartland, Sundance, 5th wheel

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
I suggest you install a GFCI outlet on the circuit used for the RV.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
2chiefsRus wrote:
Hard to know what to tell you when you just say RV which could be anything from a pop-up to a 40+ foot Class A motorhome. I normally consider an RV a vehicle but some people call their travel trailers an RV.

And I know people who call Prevost coaches a camper and call TT's motorhomes.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
When I had mine at home I plugged it in and leveled it.. I put in a TT-30 (20 amp breaker but TT-30 outlet) for it. NOTE: this is a 120 volt outlet (many electricians will want to wire it for 240 but that will damage your RV) if you hire an outlet put in put in a 50 amp those they do right. you can then adapt to your rig if you have to (mine is a 50 amp rig so I had to but the 20 amp line was already in place which is why I went the route I did)

That is really the only advice

You can plug into a common 15 amp outlet as well with an adapter that's just about enough power to top off the batteries and power the fridge. Not much more till the batteries are full
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
someuser001 wrote:
We just got our RV and there is a lot to take in. Parked it at home for the first night.

All we are doing is plugging the electricity in. Is there anything else to be done to park the RV at home?

Hard to know what to tell you when you just say RV which could be anything from a pop-up to a 40+ foot Class A motorhome. I normally consider an RV a vehicle but some people call their travel trailers an RV.
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
someuser001 wrote:

Essentially no, nothing immediate. But I presume you mean storing it at home when not in use.
Then there are several things that need done or considered.
Batteries. Make sure your converter is also a battery maintainer. Or time how long itโ€™s plugged in as to not overcharge and boil the batteries.
Likewise, if you leave the batteries hooked up and donโ€™t charge them, youโ€™ll kill em from discharging from minor draws in the camper (co2 detector mostly, but maybe other stuff)
Water, waste tanks, winterization.
Protection from elements. Depending on your climate, it could look new 10-15 years from now or be in poor shape in that time based on maintenance and covering.
But now is summer, so enjoy. And youโ€™ll have some time to figure out the rest .
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

salem
Explorer
Explorer
If it has a battery shut-off switch leave it in the "on" position. Check the water level in your batteries occasionally.

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you turn on the fridge level the rv.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds