cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Plugged in or out

Bfrnk
Explorer
Explorer
Do you keep your rv plug into landline when at home and not on the road?
31 REPLIES 31

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
I leave my TT pluged in. Its winterized, and I toggle the battery disconect on and off every so often so they dont overcharged. We get snow here also, a little less then PA, but it can be bad. I dont use it in the winter, but i may need to get something from it , check it, or in an emergency use it. We loose power a bit where I live and its easier to just hook the generator up to the camper and stay there. This is mostly in the summer, but who knows what can or will happen. Yes I could always run a line over if needed, but much easier to just change plugs in the garage.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

C_B_
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:
Always plugged in whether in storage or RV park for 14 years and no problem.

Same here for 18 years.

C.B.
CBVP2004~FORD~F350~CC~LARIAT~SRW~SB~4X4~6.0D~
AUTO~PULLRITE 16K SUPERGLIDE~DEMCO GLIDERIDE~
PRODIGY CONTROLLER~C-BETR MIRRORS~EMS-HW50C~

Butch/Barb=2013-Cedar Creek 36CKTS
Kris/Katy=2006-Cherokee 32B

Timmo_
Explorer II
Explorer II
Plugged in, fully charged and ready to go...as our TT is also an escape vehicle should there be a need to evacuate (Fremont-Winema National Forest is my backyard neighbor).
Tim & Sue
Hershey (Sheltie)
2005 F150 4x4 Lariat 5.4L 3.73 Please buy a Hybrid...I need your gas for my 35.7 gallon tank!
2000 Nash 19B...comfortably pimped with a real Queen Size Bed

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Plugged in. BUT, I replaced the OEM converter/charger with one that will take care of the batteries rather than boil them dry. (I had the replacement converter/charger before I even took delivery of the TT. It went in the next day.)
OEM was Parallax/Magnatek, replacement was Progressive Dynamics.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
A lot of the answers seem to depend on the location. Here in PA my fifth-wheel is winterized and not going to be used for the next 5 months. The battery is removed and sitting in my insulated garage on a board right behind my motorcycle that most likely won't see the road for the same amount of time. I have a maintainer/charger that gets moved between the two every two weeks over the winter. The breakers on the RV supply post are both off and the
rv cord is stowed out of the weather.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
We always leave it plugged in to a 50amp outlet. There is minimal effect on the electricity bill and it sometimes is the doghouse when we have guests that are afraid of dogs. One of our grand daughters primarily.
Puma 30RKSS

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
If we aren't using it and the fridge is empty for a week or more, we typically unplug and disconnect the battery.

Generally, it's likely to be fine but...

Why burn the extra power and risk a voltage surge or some other electrical issue while you are not around to quickly address it.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
Plugged in with heat pump on in winter and A/C on in summer. Make numerous trips thru-out the year. Never have to winterize. On a trip currently in mountains with lows in 20s at night.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Plugged in with dehumidifier on but with converter breaker off.
Solar charger connected to battery with negative wire disconnected.

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
I do keep it plugged in, although I disconnect the battery (connect it for a day once a month to keep it charged). I do this because the humidity here is high all year around, and I keep a dehumidifier running in it to keep mold down. I also, from time to time, need to run the refrigerator for "special events." And every so often we have guests.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
plugged in 24/7 365.
The only time my RV is unplugged is when it is traveling down the road.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
We do as well, we use our rig so frequently that we are fully charged and fridge is always at operating temps for quick getaways. We have smart converters and inverter chargers that incorporate multiphase charging routines to keep our 12 volt reserves happy and healthy, average 8 years with our golfcart batteries before replacement.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Always plugged in whether in storage or RV park for 14 years and no problem.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bfrnk wrote:

I did. but then I also used it every day (My Ham Shack)

I did, however. Notice a major jump in my power bill.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Bfrnk wrote:

No.

Converters are not always optimized for battery charging.

I do have a modest solar installation to keep the batteries (generator, chassis and house) in tip top condition.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.