cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

12v 7 pin power

G6adventures
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all! I have searched the forums and just can't find what I'm looking for so any help would be appreciated.
I tow with a 2013 Suburban. Full tow package. My 7 Pin is not hot at my rear pin. The wire at the front by the battery is attached and I have checked my 40 fuse. I used a tester and the other pins have power but not the 12v power pin. I have tried putting it in tow, and tried with the lights on. Still not getting any power. Any ideas. Just picked up our first TT and not being able to figure this out is driving me crazy. THANKS SO MUCH!!!!
15 REPLIES 15

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wait, are you saying the 12v+ at the plug is hot all the time? LOL

Seriously, the first place to start is in your owner's manual, which you can find online HERE.

Look in the fuse panel in the engine bay, should be by the battery. Pull off the plastic cover and look at the fuses. This is from page 10-34 in the owner's manual:

Location 68 (circled in red) is the fuse for 12v+ power at the 7 pin plug. If there is a fuse there pull it and see if it's blown, or if it's a dummy. In my series of Suburban they left the fuse location empty and supplied the fuse in a baggies in the glovebox along with the pigtail for the brake controller. I have heard that later models were shipped with a dummy fuse installed. So you have to actually pull the fuse and see if it's a dummy or blown.

99% that's your problem.

LIKE2BUILD
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:

GM hasn't changed anything ... Ozlander said "relay", not fuse. Yes, a new GM truck will often have a dummy plug in Stud #1 which one must replace with a fuse but this charge line circuit is not controlled by a relay as it is in Ford trucks.

Good advice. OP needs to confirm what is in Stud #1 is a fuse and not a dummy.

KJ
'14 Ram 2500|Crew Cab Long Bed|4X4|Cummins
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'01 Polaris Virage TX PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (21, 15, & 13)
1 forgiving wife!!!

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
This GM vehicle will not have a relay. You do not need the lights on, engine running, in gear, etc.
When working properly you will have 12v at the 7 pin ALL THE TIME.
Did you buy this new or used? If new and YOU didn't attach the wire then it's not attached because for some stupid idiotic reason GM doesn't do it.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Also check that the RED/BLACK wire under dash for trailer harness is actually connected and not just hanging
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
OP:
You said a wire by battery, verify that previous owner has not added this along with an in-line fuse or a battery isolator. Trace wire in the engine compartment.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I assume there are no other connections between the fuse by the battery and the rear connector. Very odd to have a continuous wire break in the middle. If there are connections test them. Otherwise you need to follow the wire and find the break.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Mandalay Parr wrote:
Did you try it with the engine running?

Once again - GM charge line is wired to be hot all the time, regardless of whether the key is even in the ignition.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
GM has been constant hot for ever.

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
Did you try it with the engine running?
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Ozlander wrote:
Also, I think there is a relay you have to add.
I think all the info is in your owners manual.

SoundGuy wrote:
Not in a GM, the charge line is hot all the time.

donn0128 wrote:
When did they change that? If has been nearly for ever than on GM products there is a dummy fuse in the underhood fuse panel that needs to be replaced with a real fuse.

But, if the OP has power like soundguy pointed out then the OP has a trailer wiring issue he needs to trace out.

GM hasn't changed anything ... Ozlander said "relay", not fuse. Yes, a new GM truck will often have a dummy plug in Stud #1 which one must replace with a fuse but this charge line circuit is not controlled by a relay as it is in Ford trucks.

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
Ozlander wrote:

When did they change that? If has been nearly for ever than on GM products there is a dummy fuse in the underhood fuse panel that needs to be replaced with a real fuse.
But, if the OP has power like soundguy pointed out then the OP has a trailer wiring issue he needs to trace out.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Ozlander wrote:

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
G6adventures wrote:
My 7 Pin is not hot at my rear pin. The wire at the front by the battery is attached and I have checked my 40 fuse. I used a tester and the other pins have power but not the 12v power pin.

I assume you're checking between Pin 4 (+12 vdc) and Pin 1 (Ground) on the Bargman? This +12 vdc is fed by Stud #1 in the underhood fuse box and should have a 40 amp fuse - Item #68 if your '13 Sub is the same as my '12 Silverado.

Ozlander
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
The wire should be under the fuse/relay box. It attaches to either pin 1 or pin 2. Others will tell which it is.
Added: Make sure the thirty amp fuse is a fuse and not a dummy one.

Ozlander

06 Yukon XL
2001 Trail-Lite 7253